Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hoodoos 1  (Read 830 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
hoodoos 1
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:41:19 pm »

Have I managed to capture any of the stunning magic of this place?

Jeremy

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: hoodoos 1
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:53:37 pm »

You have indeed. The only drawback is that by cropping so tightly, the identity of the place is hidden to anyone not recognizing Bryce Canyon

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:35:44 pm »

+1.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:15:01 pm »

Yep, lots of magic here. I like the 3-box composition. Pulling down the light a titch in the bottom box might make the middle one shine that much more.

Harald L

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 05:41:37 pm »

Whow! And I really don't need to know that this is Bryce Canyon.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 05:49:49 pm »

Location aside, the colour is sure magical. From a longevity point of view, though (as per something for the wall), I'm missing some "edge" - that local contrast in the bright orange area that would give it more three-dimensionality. Consider also cropping some off the bottom (and, perhaps, the top) to accentuate the verticals. Right now they seem a little lost in the space.

But of course, everyone sees things differently. I'm only going by what I feel when I see the photograph.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:51:49 am »

Thanks for the comments: interesting as ever. How about this? I like Scott's suggestion of darkening the white ridge a little, and Terry's of adding a bit of local contrast to the hoodoos; I'm not convinced that cropping helps, though (Russ must be calling to me).

Does the tight framing really matter? I can always call it "Hoodoos at Bryce"  ;)

Jeremy

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 07:04:07 pm »

Very colourful image!

IMHO, the three horizontal bands of colour are competing with each other. I suggest toning down both the top and bottom bands.

I also think the lighting is very flat (was the day overcast or the light coming mainly behind the hoodoos?) and I would increase the contrast in the middle band.

There is a dark-bluish spot just below the top edge at the right. It is distracting and I would remove it and the similarly-coloured blobs at the same height over on the left. There is a light-coloured strip going across the image just above the dark-bluish spot. It is distracting, adds nothing to the image and I would crop it out of the image.

Then I would darken the top and bottom edges and sharpen the middle band—the subject, being static and rocks, should be much sharper.

These are my thoughts and you are entitled to reject them!
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up