Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Projects: do you do them in a systematic fashion?  (Read 6581 times)

NancyP

Re: Projects: do you do them in a systematic fashion?
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 03:39:14 pm »

Dreed, I get that discipline when I go out with a Sigma DP#M camera. These cameras have lousy battery life, 60-80 shots, so I tend to be a tad more deliberate. I do carry an extra battery.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 06:50:29 pm »

I am retired and pretty much all my time goes into photo projects. I could never afford to do it otherwise. I work on multiple projects at the same time. It is an obsession and not healthy. Nothing systematic about me. I am a loose canon.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 06:53:15 pm »

My mentor, teacher and sometime boss always told me to shoot projects. It took about 6 years until I started to listen to him and only then did I start to gain recognition, exhibit, etc. I've posted that article up for my students.

Projects are of the utmost importance to the photog.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 06:54:23 pm »

I typically have a few "projects"—or concepts as I think of them—going at a time. But I rarely pick up a camera looking for photos to fit a well-defined concept. That strikes me as too much like work.   :D  I prefer a more general approach...then in reviewing photos later on I'll sort them by already-existing concept, or maybe I'll discover a new concept suggested by a group of unintentionally related photos.

The attached pic, along with two others taken the same day, sparked off an on-going series featuring various outdoor tech devices enclosed in boxes with identifying embossed or raised text. But my thought at the time was nothing more specific than "suburban landscape."

-Dave-

Projects are of the utmost importance to a photographer. They give then direction and a purpose to focus their skills on.

We can look are some of the wonderful projects that  a few fortunate photographers have been lucky to turn their attention to…

Narco Cultura - Shaul Schwarz
Street Cops - Jill Freedman
Wrongly Bodied - Clarissa Sligh
Les amies de Place Blanche - Christer Strömholm
Spain’s Religious Rituals - Cristina Garcia Rodero
Monsoons - Steve McCurry
Uncommon Places - Stephen Shore
Little People and Deerslayers - Les Krims
Too Much Time: Women in Prison - Jane Evelyn Atwood
Rangerettes and Weeping Mary - O. Rufus Lovett 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:06:43 pm by iluvmycam »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up