Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645DF+ Back Button Focus  (Read 1630 times)

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
Mamiya 645DF+ Back Button Focus
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:46:41 pm »

Hi Guys,
I have a quick question after some unexpected performance at a shoot today.  I had to shoot the complete staff at a dental office.  I was using on location studio lighting and tethered to Capture One with USB3.
I use the back button focus on my Canon 1Dx routinely.  It allows me to focus separately from the shutter button and then grab the decisive moment at the instant I need to without waiting for the camera's autofocus to grab focus and allow a shutter release.  It is a wonderful way of working and I have used it for the last 5 years.  I had my Mamiya 645DF+ set to this functionality as well.  In other words, I changed CF9 to 1 and CF12 to 1.  This allowed me to use back button focus.  I don't recall any issues with it.  However, last night I updated my camera body firmware and digital back firmware to the latest versions from Mamiya and Leaf and when I used the camera today something odd occurred.
I would achieve focus with the back button.  Ok, good.  I would get the double beep focus confirmation.  Then, when I wanted to press the shutter button to grab the shot, it would refocus with the shutter button press!  What the heck??!!  This turned into a big problem.  As the M645DF+ has only three focus points, and basically requires a "focus and recompose" methodology, I would get great focus on my subject's eye, slightly recompose and press the shutter to find the camera trying to refocus on the neck or chest area after the recomposition.  Ugh!
Am I missing something here?  Is this my own short sightedness or is this a result of a glitch in the latest firmware?
Thanks in advance,
Ken

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Mamiya 645DF+ Back Button Focus
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:24:19 pm »

Hi Guys,
I have a quick question after some unexpected performance at a shoot today.  I had to shoot the complete staff at a dental office.  I was using on location studio lighting and tethered to Capture One with USB3.
I use the back button focus on my Canon 1Dx routinely.  It allows me to focus separately from the shutter button and then grab the decisive moment at the instant I need to without waiting for the camera's autofocus to grab focus and allow a shutter release.  It is a wonderful way of working and I have used it for the last 5 years.  I had my Mamiya 645DF+ set to this functionality as well.  In other words, I changed CF9 to 1 and CF12 to 1.  This allowed me to use back button focus.  I don't recall any issues with it.  However, last night I updated my camera body firmware and digital back firmware to the latest versions from Mamiya and Leaf and when I used the camera today something odd occurred.
I would achieve focus with the back button.  Ok, good.  I would get the double beep focus confirmation.  Then, when I wanted to press the shutter button to grab the shot, it would refocus with the shutter button press!  What the heck??!!  This turned into a big problem.  As the M645DF+ has only three focus points, and basically requires a "focus and recompose" methodology, I would get great focus on my subject's eye, slightly recompose and press the shutter to find the camera trying to refocus on the neck or chest area after the recomposition.  Ugh!
Am I missing something here?  Is this my own short sightedness or is this a result of a glitch in the latest firmware?
Thanks in advance,
Ken

Hi Ken -

It's a multistep process to get this the way you like.

This will get you fixed up:

https://captureintegration.com/rear-button-focus-only-on-df-body/

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
Re: Mamiya 645DF+ Back Button Focus
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:42:46 pm »

Steve,
You are a gentleman and a scholar as the saying goes.  Thank you for your quick reply and perfect solution.  It looks like i missed CF10.  Just changed it and voila!
Best regards,
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up