Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White balance  (Read 2124 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
White balance
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:37:35 pm »

I have some photos, shot indoors, some with flash and some with just the incandescent lighting. They're family shots, taken impromptu. In the flash shots, the walls are the correct colour. The others are far too warm, of course. There's no white in shot. Is there a way in LR of setting temperature and tint so that a non-white colour matches that in another shot? I've fiddled with the sliders but I'm getting nowhere near the right balance.

Yes, I should have used a WhiBal. But I didn't.

Jeremy

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: White balance
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 05:19:55 pm »

But these are raws, not JPEG?If so you should be able to use anything in the scene that's close to neutral (lighter better) to get in the ball park (copy and paste from there to other's).

Can you post an example raw to play with?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:19:44 pm »

But these are raws, not JPEG?If so you should be able to use anything in the scene that's close to neutral (lighter better) to get in the ball park (copy and paste from there to other's).

Can you post an example raw to play with?

PM sent. Confidentiality makes this tricky!

Jeremy

jrsforums

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:35:46 pm »

I have some photos, shot indoors, some with flash and some with just the incandescent lighting. They're family shots, taken impromptu. In the flash shots, the walls are the correct colour. The others are far too warm, of course. There's no white in shot. Is there a way in LR of setting temperature and tint so that a non-white colour matches that in another shot? I've fiddled with the sliders but I'm getting nowhere near the right balance.

Yes, I should have used a WhiBal. But I didn't.

Jeremy

Use basic wb to get most of the image looking like you want it.  Then use adj brush wb to balance othe areas.

John

Charlene McKinnon

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 07:10:50 am »

@kikashi - it seems you have two problems:

1. mixed lighting (flash is cool compared to incandescent)
2. white balance is off.

I realize you only asked about #2, but in case you are amenable to help with #1:

If possible, put an incandescent gel over your flash when shooting (so flash light temperature matches room light temperature).
If not possible or too late now, then you may be able to compensate using Lr's locals which include temperature and tint now - a radial gradient may suffice or whatever works...

My apology in advance for answering a different question than you asked  :-[

D Fosse

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:04:18 am »

My apology in advance for answering a different question than you asked 

I don't think there's any need to apologize, because that solves the whole problem. Here's what I use for quick indoor-flash-with-incandescent-light-shots. The hood is not the world's greatest diffuser, but it holds the filter thing and it snaps on in a second.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:37:36 pm »

@kikashi - it seems you have two problems:

Fair points, all. I yield to nobody in my ignorance of the correct use of flash and am happy to learn.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up