Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7r camera profiles  (Read 3856 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Sony A7r camera profiles
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:32:14 pm »

Help me understand camera profiles better.

Who made these camera profiles?  Are they made by Sony and built in to the camera that LR Reads? 
Or, Are they created by Adobe and placed in Lr and the applied to the raw image?  Are these profiles made with data from a specific  camera?  If so, does LR know which camera, and are the profiles in the list specific for the camera I am using.  For example, If I Select "camera landscape", was that profile made specifically for the A7r, or is it just one profile made by Adobe that will be applied to image from any camera?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Vladimirovich

Re: Sony A7r camera profiles
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:32:46 pm »

Who made these camera profiles?  Are they made by Sony and built in to the camera that LR Reads?

when E.Chan joined Adobe (or quite soon after that) he posted = http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/08/the_dng_profile_editor_whats_it_all_about.html

Are these profiles made with data from a specific  camera?

for a specific camera model in most cases (in some few cases different camera models might have the same profile data wise)

If so, does LR know which camera, and are the profiles in the list specific for the camera I am using.  For example, If I Select "camera landscape", was that profile made specifically for the A7r, or is it just one profile made by Adobe that will be applied to image from any camera?

yes, ACR/LR will use the profile (file) for a specific camera model (different camera models might have the same name displayed in UI - but technically those are different .dcp files), decompile .dcp with dcptool for example
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:35:32 pm by Vladimirovich »

ario

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:34:00 pm »

The camera profiles are specific for each camera model even if they are identified with generic names in the drop-down menu of the camera calibration panel; to the best of my knowledge they are produced by Adobe and not by the camera maker.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:36:36 pm »

The camera profiles are specific for each camera model even if they are identified with generic names in the drop-down menu of the camera calibration panel; to the best of my knowledge they are produced by Adobe and not by the camera maker.
except when you are using in camera DNG - that file might have one (or more) profile embedded by firmware and it will be displayed in ACR/LR UI for you to select

jaclarkaus

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 05:17:39 am »

I use the Huelight profiles from time to time http://www.colorfidelity.com/ or can my own with an I1 Pro 2
Pages: [1]   Go Up