Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gallery resistance to Canvas vs glass  (Read 2168 times)

Herbc

Gallery resistance to Canvas vs glass
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:51:08 am »

Most of my work goes to "fine art" gallery competitions, with some judge imported from a museum or college, and there are cash prizes plus they take 30 or 40% if you sell a print.
I should also state that my sales and the prize money are not to pay the rent, just for some personal satisfaction.  God forbid I would have to expend a lot of effort at my age (77)!

Anybody have experience submitting your work on stretched canvas?  I can do it myself, print on my 3800, and am quite happy with the results, although I don't see any frameless work hanging in these galleries.  All are traditional glass framing.  I could use a floater frame, which does cut down on the cost a bit, but still not cheap.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Gallery resistance to Canvas vs glass
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:55:51 am »

I take it these are competitions where you send an actual ready-to-hang print to be judged? My feeling is that it all depends on the gallery and the juror. Some folks are very attached to the traditional matted-print-behind-glass-in-a-thin-black-frame approach, others are more open to other methods. Perhaps call the gallery and ask? There's no one answer, I expect.

Herbc

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:01 pm »

I do suspect it is up to the gallery, I was asking for others experience. I only show in my home area, so I was thinking that perhaps in the Northeast or out West the experience might differ.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 02:30:56 am »

Most of my work goes to "fine art" gallery competitions, with some judge imported from a museum or college, and there are cash prizes plus they take 30 or 40% if you sell a print.
I should also state that my sales and the prize money are not to pay the rent, just for some personal satisfaction.  God forbid I would have to expend a lot of effort at my age (77)!

Anybody have experience submitting your work on stretched canvas?  I can do it myself, print on my 3800, and am quite happy with the results, although I don't see any frameless work hanging in these galleries.  All are traditional glass framing.  I could use a floater frame, which does cut down on the cost a bit, but still not cheap.
I submit my works in the format I'm most happy with.  Some of my images simply demand stretched canvas, others mat and glass.  If the competition you're entering judges works based on their packaging, find another competition that judges your images, and by all means, find ones that do the initial judging from digital images.  It's a great waste of time, energy and money to have to ship prints in whatever format, just to find out if they're accepted.

BTW, I don't know if you're unable or just unwilling to "expend a lot of effort at my age (77)".  I'm your same age and there are times that I am simply unable to expend a lot of effort, so I really understand that; however, I highly recommend you fight vigorously against any unwillingness based on your "advanced  years" ;)  The alternative is the rocking chair, the shawl and the drool-bib.  Just consider your 70s to be middle-age.

Final word:  Good Luck in showing; it's very gratifying!

Herbc

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:23:44 am »

Just about all of the competitions are done electronically, so I might try the canvas only route.  As to being unable/unwilling, I have some joints that are being replaced (one knee, one ankle, knee is done, ankle next month), so the unable part is going away later this year. When that is done, I will be out in the field a lot.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:11:24 am »

Good luck with all that!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up