Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My 3800 is broken! What to do?  (Read 3166 times)

ron_hiner

My 3800 is broken! What to do?
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:15:08 pm »

I'm getting an 1134 error on my 5 year old Epson 3800.  That means a trip to the repair shop - probably costing $300 or more, plus whatever ink they blow through in the process.  So I'm looking at other printer options.

• I love my 3800 -- but I wish it printed on roll paper for my panoramas.  The 4900 looks good, but it can't print small paper.  I routinely make 4x6 test prints before I go big (a hold out from my darkroom days).
  • My old 2400 printed nice 13" panos, but I see that Epson doesn't make that, or its successor (2880) anymore.  But I really want 17" panos anyway. 
  • It looks like canon makes a 17" roll-capable printer in their IPF5100.  Switching brands is a last resort.  Among other reasons, I have a ton of Epson paper -- and I have no idea if I can easily get profiles for a Canon printer.
  • Epson's 4900 is 3 1/2 years old.  The 3880 is a year older than that.  When is Epson going release the next generation?

Nothing is easy. 

Thoughts, suggestions, and constructive criticism is more than welcome!
Thanks!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: My 3800 is broken! What to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:37:56 pm »

the ipf5100 output isn't the greatest.  Not as bad as the original ipf5000 but really Canon output got much better with the 63/8300 printers.  For some reason canon has never put their x300/x400 technology into the 17" format.

The 3880 is a great printer. I know it's  a little tricky but I've seen decently long panos printed on them.  The 4900 has great output, but as you mentioned tough to get small sheets through and it will require a little more hand holding regarding clogs.  Each owners mileage seems to vary with this, some notoriously bad, others no problems at all.  Of all of the Epson printers, I think the 4900 is the most prone to clogs/missing nozzles based on my experience owning one as well as a 9900 and what I've seen from several that we've sold.  But then I get a lot of buyers who print a page or two every couple of weeks, and wonder why things dry out and clog up in the low humidity here in Utah. 

As far as "next generation", tough to say.  The technology is so advanced and mature not sure they are even actively working on replacements. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:45:10 pm »

The 3880 is amazing, the 4900 hellish in terms of nozzle clogs. IF you can live without the roll, go 3880. I don't care how old it is, it's simply the best printer Epson's ever made.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

alain

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 10:27:00 am »

Hi

On my 3800 I can print quite easy up to the driver limit (94cm) with precut sheets.  I'm quite sure the 3880 will do the same.

Two tricks :

- Have the paper cut longer, I simply add the paper for another smaller print size after the length.  (The paper becomes them something like 122 cm).
- On my 3800 the small paper holder up right on the sheet feeder is not on the right spot, I made a small plastic hood to put over it.  Now my 3800 prints without a skew to the paper.  I only use the minimum side border (3mm) and the print stays on the paper.

RachelleK

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:53:20 am »

With the PrintFab RIP (free now until June), people have made really long panoramas on the 3880 -- over 10 feet.  My longest has been about 50 inches.

ron_hiner

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 11:13:26 am »

Thanks all! 

It looks like right way to go is 3880 -- then either outsource the panos, or dive into workarounds.    My 3800 would often go a month or more without use -- I'm actually surprised I didn't have clogging problems.   That is yet another reason not to get the 4900.

Rachelle - I see they have a free trial download, but I don't see the full product is free until june... @ printfab.net   The version for the 3880 is  EUR 199. ($274 USD).  But if I read it right, you can make a print that is 17" by 50 feet!

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:29:58 am »

Thanks all! 

It looks like right way to go is 3880 -- then either outsource the panos, or dive into workarounds.    My 3800 would often go a month or more without use -- I'm actually surprised I didn't have clogging problems.   That is yet another reason not to get the 4900.

Rachelle - I see they have a free trial download, but I don't see the full product is free until june... @ printfab.net   The version for the 3880 is  EUR 199. ($274 USD).  But if I read it right, you can make a print that is 17" by 50 feet!

The trial version is the full beta version, nothing has been removed.

You can print up to 95 cm (~37.4 inches) with the driver, I don't know if there is a physical limit with PrintFab. But note: as far as I am aware, PrintFab does not use standard ICC profiles. If they don't have a profile for the paper you want to use, then you will have to get them to make one for you.

Brian A

RachelleK

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 12:43:47 pm »

The trial version is the full beta version, nothing has been removed.

You can print up to 95 cm (~37.4 inches) with the driver, I don't know if there is a physical limit with PrintFab. But note: as far as I am aware, PrintFab does not use standard ICC profiles. If they don't have a profile for the paper you want to use, then you will have to get them to make one for you.

Brian A

The longest I have heard from a 3880 was, I think 17 feet.  PrintFab will not support standard profiles since even the dithering pattern and the colors used in the dithering pattern are different.  PrintFab has some Epson paper profiles included and a few strange ones from other manufactures.  If you purchase the Mac version you can make your own profiles but this feature does not work on the Windows version.

tsjanik

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 12:55:57 pm »

The 3880 is amazing, the 4900 hellish in terms of nozzle clogs. IF you can live without the roll, go 3880. I don't care how old it is, it's simply the best printer Epson's ever made.

Andrew:

I just went through major clogging with a 4900.  I used AIS cleaning fluid applied to the docking station.  It took about six weeks and several cleanings (not power),but it seems to have worked.  Not expensive, worth a try.

Tom

philbaum

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:07:14 pm »

3880 is the way to go.  I use it chiefly with canvas.  great once i got use to its quirks - they all have them, i think.  I've used printfab to get beyond the 37" limit with no problems.  Cutting the canvas ahead of time - and off a roll, was no problem once i got a table setup with a cutting mat.

good luck!

enduser

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 10:36:18 pm »

Printfab does not work with Canon large format.

ron_hiner

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 10:27:30 pm »

my first print is rolling out of my brand spanking new 3880... beautiful!  Thanks to all for the advice!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up