Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R2000 & Piezography  (Read 2332 times)

dhodson60

Epson R2000 & Piezography
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:44:00 pm »

I'm looking at trying piezography and have a chance to pick up a low cost Epson R2000 in good shape.  I don't want to save a few bucks on the printer though and find out later that there are limitations and I would have been better off with a different choice.  I'm okay with 13x19 and I eventually want to do some work with digital negatives (which I understand the R2000 will support).  When I look on Jon Cone's site however, I see the R2000 in his supported printer list but no inkset for it (R1900 & R2400 though).  I've sent them an email but no response so far.

Anybody got any tips or pointers or experiences with this printer and piezography inks?

Thanks
Dave

LynnNoah

• http://myfairpoint.net
Re: Epson R2000 & Piezography
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:43:20 pm »

I'm not familiar with the R2000, but my guess is that it is an evolution of the R1800 and R1900 with which I started piezography several years ago and which have worked perfectly.  The first thing you would need is a set of the empty refillable cartridges, but I see on their website that these are not yet listed for the 2000.  These small carts, made for the smaller desktop Epsons including the 2880, are only $30 a set ($60 with a syringe set), then you buy the more expensive ink sets in bottles and use the syringes to fill the carts.  The various ink sets in bottles (selenium, warm neutral, carbon, etc.) can be used for any size printer as long as you have the right carts.

With the low cost for the small cart sets, you can even experiment with split toning or different ink sets by buying an extra cart set and other ink bottles of your choice.  When split toning, you must use the same shade number in the appropriate slot on your printer  A chart of where to insert the carts in the right color slot of your particular printer comes with each set of refillable carts.

I've also purchased a 3880 dedicated to piezography so I can run different B/W ink combinations appropriate to the type of image I'm printing.  The 3880 requires larger and more expensive carts, but also is easy to use.  The print quality of the smaller Epsons using piezography, however, is just as excellent as the larger printers and much better than Epson's ABW system. Once you get through the details of getting started in piezography, I think you'll find it's the best way to enjoy B/W printing since the chemical darkroom.

The Inkjetmall website has a live help box which you might try if you haven't received a reply from your email.

It's always a risk to buy a used printer, so be sure to do nozzle checks and print some test images using all the colors.  Good luck!

Lynn

dhodson60

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:58:38 am »

Hi Lynn

Thanks for the post - I was beginning to wonder if anybody was out there.  The R2000 apparently replaced the R1900 and InkjetMall shows it as a supported printer for piezography inks (but I don't see any cartridges for it).  The Live Chat sounds like a good idea - I still haven't heard from them so I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.
Dave

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 10:09:52 am »

Dave,

I'd call Dana at Inkjetmall directly and ask her about different printers that are best suited for your needs/wants.

You may find it better to simply buy a new printer and convert it directly to K7 piezography.  I know that Inkjetmall recommends installing the OEM Epson inks to test a printer but I'm now of the mindset to simply go straight to installing Cone's K7 inkset immediately.  This avoids the common problem of having to "push" ink residue from the Epson inks (yellow!) out of the lines to get a clean B&W.  If by chance the printer is not in order, you can simply re-install the Epson inks and service/return the printer.

ken

dhodson60

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:21:34 pm »

Ken

Good point.  The couple of hundred dollars I would be saving on the printer probably isn't worth the risks of a used printer.

Thanks
Dave

mkihne

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 10:24:01 pm »

I can second the use of a 3880 if you are not put off by the start up investment. I have the special K7 split tone ink set running on mine. I print less frequently with this black and white printer than my 3880 with Epson inks and have had no issues with clogging. Obviously it also gives you up to 17 inch prints. If you are convinced that you would stay with the process long term I believe it would be money well spent up front on a quality system.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up