Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV  (Read 5582 times)

torger

Re: Question: H4X and Sinar eMotion 75LV
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 09:54:38 am »

And everybody tells us how the high prices are justified by the availability and competence of the dealers.

The problem is that MF can be used in a large amount of use cases, and the dealers are generally specialized in a smaller amount of them. If you're going to use MF professionally and think service is important, the by far best way is to use the latest and greatest, follow the upgrade programs and use the typical camera configurations. Then you can (hopefully) find a dealer that know the goods fairly close to you.

It's very clear in Europe where dealers are very small and need to be specialized at the use cases where the money is. Here in Sweden, homeland of Hasselblad, the V system is practically dead (there's a good deal on the last CFV-50 demo ex from the Swedish dealer if anyone's interested), and I imagine H4x is not often sold either, you use branded Hasselblad H all way through or Phase One 645DF.

If you're a tech cam guy you need to be a do-it-yourselfer and find expertise abroad, you can't expect to get local dealer help. Thanks to my internet activity I get quite a lot inquiries of people that ask me technical questions and advice about the tech cam configuration I use and others, which they then later may buy unseen from a dealer on the other side of the globe. "Always try before buy" as people state on the forums is not exactly followed by everyone, and it would be bad for MF business if people did -- there's a lot more MF interest in various systems and configurations than there is dealer coverage.

elrick

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 02:13:07 pm »

torger,

"(there's a good deal on the last CFV-50 demo ex from the Swedish dealer if anyone's interested)." I'm interested. Can you please provide details so that I can follow up with the dealer.

Thanks,
Elrick

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 04:28:31 pm »

An interesting question is "what is the value of an older back with no service attached?". The answer would be quite easy to compute - just subtract the dealer margin, and then divide the price of the the back by 2 again to account for age. Surprise - you get the LL "for sale" price of most older products.

Edmund

The problem is that MF can be used in a large amount of use cases, and the dealers are generally specialized in a smaller amount of them. If you're going to use MF professionally and think service is important, the by far best way is to use the latest and greatest, follow the upgrade programs and use the typical camera configurations. Then you can (hopefully) find a dealer that know the goods fairly close to you.

It's very clear in Europe where dealers are very small and need to be specialized at the use cases where the money is. Here in Sweden, homeland of Hasselblad, the V system is practically dead (there's a good deal on the last CFV-50 demo ex from the Swedish dealer if anyone's interested), and I imagine H4x is not often sold either, you use branded Hasselblad H all way through or Phase One 645DF.

If you're a tech cam guy you need to be a do-it-yourselfer and find expertise abroad, you can't expect to get local dealer help. Thanks to my internet activity I get quite a lot inquiries of people that ask me technical questions and advice about the tech cam configuration I use and others, which they then later may buy unseen from a dealer on the other side of the globe. "Always try before buy" as people state on the forums is not exactly followed by everyone, and it would be bad for MF business if people did -- there's a lot more MF interest in various systems and configurations than there is dealer coverage.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

torger

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 04:09:27 am »

An interesting question is "what is the value of an older back with no service attached?". The answer would be quite easy to compute - just subtract the dealer margin, and then divide the price of the the back by 2 again to account for age. Surprise - you get the LL "for sale" price of most older products.

Yep, that's what makes MF quite feasible for do-it-yourselfers and risktakers :). You need patience too though, if you desire a specific lens or back it might not be available on the second hand market right now. If you do get a lemon it can become costly and rather painful though, I'm quite a poster boy for that, but in the long term and in a large system you'll save a substantial amount of money by going second hand, so it's a good approach for amateurs.

I'd say it's not for professionals though, due to the risk and wait involved. For a pro I think the by far best way is to either go for the latest and greatest of MF, buying exactly what the local dealer recommends to you, and if that seems too expensive then not use MF at all. Otherwise I don't think MF can live up to the great service and support reputation. I do see quite many professionals actually dealing second hand too, I think they have backup covered in other ways than trusting dealer service though.

The are different "professional personalities", in all business. In my pro business, software development, there are many that outsource all their servers and development platforms, it costs a lot, but you get service and hopefully you don't need to spend any time yourself on the gear and just focus on development. Others, like my own company, buys lower cost standard gear, install and maintain everything by ourselves. Depending a bit on how you count you win or lose money on it (using high cost personnel to do "simple" tasks), but when owning your own business you generally don't count all the hours you work... :)

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 02:20:20 pm »

Hi all,
I've been using my Sinar eMotion 75LV DB on Hassy H1 for some time, but I was wondering if it is wise to upgrade to H4X. After some research I found that there is no information on 75LV compatibility with H4X. There is extensive user reports on H4X and Phase One and Leaf Credo, there is a comment from Hasselblad on Aptus backs than do not work.
But I did not found any positive or negative evidence that Sinar backs work with 75LV.
Is there anyone here to share experience?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The eMotion 75LV was first manufactured in 2006. I am not certain of date it was discontinued. Possibly 2007 with the introduction of the eVolution 75H.
Regarding the H4X; Leaf and Phase both have updated the firmware in their digital backs to accommodate the H4X camera.

Firmware Version 5.11 for Sinarback eMotion 75 was release on August 12, 2010. There is no mention in the readme of updates for the H4X.
Therefore i doubt the compatibity with this camera.
http://www.sinar.ch/en/category/downloads/software-en/

I suggest keeping the H1 for use with your eMotion 75LV.

Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up