Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is anyone still using large format film photography?  (Read 4101 times)

sunshine1234

is anyone still using large format film photography?
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:39:54 pm »

Is anyone still using large format film photography for landscape and nature work?

Or has it become impractical?

chuckn

Re: is anyone still using large format film photography?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:44:26 pm »

Check out Ben Horne Photography. Some of the best large format photographs I have ever seen.

Sheldon N

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:22:06 pm »

Shot a couple sheets of 8x10 film last night, in addition to the main digital stuff I do. It's great stuff.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:33:41 pm »

Never stopped using LF B&W for my landscape work just went digital for my commercial work. Not any more or less practical than it was 25 years ago.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

sunshine1234

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:01:49 pm »

It might help if I describe what I mean by practical, I mean certain production costs such as drum scanning and other aspects of file management.

Kerry L

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 06:51:29 pm »

I still use a  TOYO 45A using a roll film back (6X9) for 120 transparency and occasionally 4X5 B&W sheets for landscape work. My commercial/industrial work is all digital (Nikon D3 & D3x). 

As far as "is it practical ?":
1- for clients: no they expect the immediate turn around that digital allows.
2- cost: not an issue. I scan my own film on an Epson V750. The delay in and expense of film processing is something that, each time, I question my sanity but I keep going back so......... If I had the need for a drum scan, I'd do it but it would have to be a very special image.
3- quality: reasonable depends on the print size and, to some extent, the subject matter.
4- file management: once scanned, it's another digital file to which I include references to the film original in the meta data.
5- practical: to each his/her own. I love working with the camera so for me it's a relaxing & refreashing outing.

All in all, I've spent more money on different things and didn't get as much out of it.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:09 pm »

You might want to ask the folks here what they think: Analog Photography User's Group (APUG)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Vannack_uy

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:24:12 pm »

A friend of mine passed one of his sinar f2's down to me and i love it. I love the experience of using LF especially when it's for something personal like my own projects.

StoneNYC

• StoneNYC
    • Stone NYC Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:56 pm »

I still use film, thinking about selling my 5D mk II and going exclusively film, I shoot 4x5, also on a Toyo45a, I may be going to 8x10 soon.

Another great place besides APUG (Analog Photography Users Group) is Large Format Photography Forum...

So do you have questions?

Scanning even with a "cheap" scanner gets you such detail that drum scanning is almost unnecessary for MOST prints.

Also many still print in the dark room with an enlarger.

I find LF much more practical for landscape work than digital.  It's also a good way to help focus (no pun intended) on the shot rather than just snapping away, taking your time helps produce some nice work because you pay more attention to what you're doing, or at least, I do.
~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Petrus

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 01:31:27 am »

It's also a good way to help focus (no pun intended) on the shot rather than just snapping away, taking your time helps produce some nice work because you pay more attention to what you're doing, or at least, I do.

Digital cameras should have a "large format mode", allowing one to take only one shot per minute...

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 06:58:40 pm »

Go to largeformatphotography.info for the busiest LF community. I am just starting out in LF, partly as a "bucket list" thing (return to film and try LF), partly to stimulate my brain in a new way. For pros? Not so practical. However, amateur interest is strong, and there are a small number of pros that still have analog photography workshops and sell LF images.

StoneNYC

• StoneNYC
    • Stone NYC Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 08:06:11 pm »

Digital cameras should have a "large format mode", allowing one to take only one shot per minute...

One shot per MINUTE!!!! Whoa!! Slow down buddy, what are you some kind of shotgun shooter? Try one shot per 30 minutes ;)
~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Frank Sirona

• Frank Sirona landscape photography
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 04:35:08 pm »

Large format film has some sort of magic that digital is missing. And the sensory explosion under the dark cloth when you see a well-composed image on the ground glass of an 8x10 is without compare.
Frank Sirona. Large format photography of the Desert Southwest.

www.franksirona.com

StoneNYC

• StoneNYC
    • Stone NYC Photography
is anyone still using large format film photography?
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 11:27:18 pm »

Large format film has some sort of magic that digital is missing. And the sensory explosion under the dark cloth when you see a well-composed image on the ground glass of an 8x10 is without compare.

I'm jealous of you my friend, I'm still using puny 4x5...

8 sheets exposed yesterday.

Next year I'll be in 8x10 territory I hope.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 12:02:54 am »

Hi,

Says a lot…

Best regards
Erik

Never stopped using LF B&W for my landscape work just went digital for my commercial work. Not any more or less practical than it was 25 years ago.
Erik Kaffehr

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 09:36:20 am »

I find LF...a good way to help focus (no pun intended) on the shot rather than just snapping away, taking your time helps produce some nice work because you pay more attention to what you're doing, or at least, I do.

I think I attain almost the same approach (and possibly results) digitally through use of my Fotodiox Rhinocam, which laborious(?) method I've described elsewhere in this forum (if anyone's perhaps interested).
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up