Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645Z  (Read 4749 times)

Eli Burakian

• Photogaboutit
Pentax 645Z
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:50:42 pm »

Okay, this camera looks really great, and is relatively affordable. (Although it's way out of my price range!)
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/04/15/ricoh-announces-medium-format-pentax-645z

I know this has been discussed in the past, but why get a medium format camera? Are there reasons beyond the increased resolution? I know you can have shallower depth of field, but that would require lenses as fast as the full frame options. Up until now, high ISO hasn't been ideal for medium format cameras. Will this new CMOS sensor outperform other new cameras with smaller pixel pitches?

Basically, I'm just wondering why someone would get this camera over something like a D800e or A7r.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Pentax 645Z
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:30:10 am »

Basically, I'm just wondering why someone would get this camera over something like a D800e or A7r.

The main ones coming to my mind:
- More resolution,
- More DR compared to DSLRs not using Sony sensors,
- No AA filter meaning better micro-detail compared to DSLR with an AA filter equipped sensor (but also more artifacts),
- The desire to use Pentax lenses,
- The willingness to own the best or to create differentiation compared to DSLR users,

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:59:26 am by BernardLanguillier »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:44:12 am »

Hi Eli,

In addition to what Bernhard already mentioned, also more MTF response of fine detail due to higher on-sensor magnification.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

capital

• Website
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:53:55 am »

Okay so I am trying understand this one too a little bit.

Today, we have 35mm/APS-C DSLRs shooting with:

1) more DR range w/ Sony Sensors
2) no AA filter
3) more depth of field, typically a plus for landscapes.
4) sometimes a lot of resolution.
5) might weigh less.
6) might cost less, not sure the margin.
7) Availability of Tilt-shift lenses (17, 24, 45, 90)mm

I think the thing is will a Pentax MF lens line up actually put more real pixels to work over a carefully chosen set of DSLR lenses, and by what margin? And by what additional cost?

One other thing, will the Pentax feature an electronic first curtain?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:04:37 am by capital »

BJL

MF: high DOF possible; needs longer exposures
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:22 am »

A larger format does not restrict you to less DOF; it just requires a higher f-stop to achieve a given DOF, and so requires a longer exposure time and/or a higher exposure index (ISO speed).
Longer exposures seem to be plan A, and combined with the almost complete lack of IS in formats larger than 36x24mm, I would say that hand-holdability is one of the great practical differences.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:52:20 am by BJL »

Iluvmycam

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 08:55:23 am »

Fantastic cam!

I have 2 645D's I am staying put for now. But I may upgrade someday.

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 12:09:42 pm »

MF is a different shooting experience, which I personally find more enjoyable and absorbing than DSLR. Highly subjective and therefor very important ;-)
I don't have a signature.

tsjanik

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 09:56:34 pm »

My reason: The best image possible under the conditions.  Sometimes that means a stabilized 35mm, sometimes a MFD, sometimes stitching, even using film.  Good enough is fine and sometimes as well as can be done, but it's nice to aspire to the best you can achieve.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 04:10:41 am »

There are also the intangibles, like looking more professional, wether it's with an AD on a shoot or at a wedding or you just prefer the system to 35mm style.
I've always preferred using MF but not enough to pay the extra Hasselblad or Phaseone charge. I have never managed a business plan to justify the expense despite being biased towards MF.
I shot MF film for many years, it's a form I like.
Seriously I hope it makes the big two have a rethink on pricing and marketing. Also I would think the secondhand value of MFDB has just collapsed. Who would pay out for a P45 now that you can buy brand new technology for much less?
Kevin.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 01:50:36 pm »

Couple of years ago I was 98% close to buy a used P45+ for some $13K. Today I woud not do it for even 8.5K  ;) Seriously!
The earth's poles shifted a few degrees recently. Do you know what this means? Climate change! :D
Eduardo

Seriously I hope it makes the big two have a rethink on pricing and marketing. Also I would think the secondhand value of MFDB has just collapsed. Who would pay out for a P45 now that you can buy brand new technology for much less?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:56:08 pm by uaiomex »
Pages: [1]   Go Up