Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rain cover/sleeve for Nikon D800e  (Read 4109 times)

SeanBK

Rain cover/sleeve for Nikon D800e
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:50:00 am »

I was planning to shoot the upcoming "Color Run". A 5k run but people seem to throw dry colors @ runners, something a kin to a festival in India + 5k run.
   As a precaution I was thinking of getting a rain sleeve or ...? Any reasonable suggestions? Could use help, & yes, I'm taking a tele but need options. :-\

SeanBK

Re: Rain cover/sleeve for Nikon D800e
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:26 am »

Thank you. I also found this B&H > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819104-REG/Kata_KT_PL_E_702_E_702_PL_Pro_Light.html
  so, it seems like I'm atleast heading in the right direction, I think.
 I'm within driving distance to attend the Color Run in Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland or even Cincinnati, depending on my time table.
 Thank you appreciate your help.

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:08:43 pm »

I have had good experiences with large freezer bags, albeit in heavy rain not color runs.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy

SeanBK

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 05:07:59 pm »

Ed B, Thnx for scaring the s**t out of me  :)
 The guy must've been on the receiving end of the color filled balloon but your point well taken, actually that is why the original question. I'm beginning to feel that paying a model @ studio setting may be less stressful. But than we do like to live dangerously. Will let u know if I go through with it, using my Nikon D800e and may be a tele zoom & not a W.A for sure. Do appreciate the link.

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 11:18:50 pm »

Haha, sorry buy you needed to be scared. :D There would only be two ways I'd shoot something like this, with an underwater housing or a cheap camera in a ziplock bag. I think I'd even be afraid of being upwind with a 500 on the camera. FYI, the colored powered is cornstarch, not sure what that would do to your lungs.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 01:28:36 pm »

Check out the ThinkTANK Photo "hydrophobia" rain covers: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/rain-covers/hydrophobias.aspx

sniper

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 09:57:43 am »

Are you sure you want to do this?

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/how-to-ruin-your-gear-in-5-minutes-without-water
Yes that stuff is deadly to cameras, I know a couple of photographers who went to one last year, both cameras died shortly after.  it's very fine powder, gets in everywhere.  Plastic bags are not safe, you need a proper waterproof housing.

SZRitter

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 10:12:19 am »

Does anyone know if primes are less effected? Just a theory, and not one I'm going to test, but....

Almost every zoom I have used gets dust into the middle elements. Seems to me that the zoom mechanisms typically create a vacuum inside that sucks dust into the lens. However, I haven't, as of yet, had the same issue with any of my primes. Not saying they would be impervious to the color run damage, but just a thought that they may be less likely to be damaged. And maybe I am completely wrong on the vacuum effect. Just going on personal experience.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 12:29:21 pm »

Does anyone know if primes are less effected? Just a theory, and not one I'm going to test, but....

Almost every zoom I have used gets dust into the middle elements. Seems to me that the zoom mechanisms typically create a vacuum inside that sucks dust into the lens. However, I haven't, as of yet, had the same issue with any of my primes. Not saying they would be impervious to the color run damage, but just a thought that they may be less likely to be damaged. And maybe I am completely wrong on the vacuum effect. Just going on personal experience.

The problem is you have parts moving period (the focusing ring, the lens barrel) and those will trap the fine particles of pigment.

dwswager

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 08:51:17 am »

This is not hard to do and I have shot many "color" runs and Indian "Holi" festivals that also do color throwing.  Just stay upwind.  The particulate is actually a lot heavier than you might imagine and drops back down rather quickly.  There is a difference between the comercial color packets and homemade colored cornstarch.

I've never felt the need to cover my camera/lens, but a cheap optech sleeve might be a reasonable precaution.

Pages: [1]   Go Up