Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED vs Samyang-Rokinon T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC ??  (Read 8016 times)

PdF

That's the question !

I have to buy (tomorrow) a lens for an architectural job. I found nowhere comparative between these two lenses.

The reputation of the Nikkor is very bad (especially compared to Canon). But what is the quality of the Samyang/Rokinon compared to Nikon?

The camera is a D800E.

PdF
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:06:31 pm by PdF »
PdF

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

I would advise you give the Nikkor a try. My copy is an excellent lens.

Make sure to tight up the little knobs before shooting.

Cheers,
Bernard

robdickinson

From what I have heard the samyang is very similar to the nikon but is a super rotator design.

i.e. sharp in centre, soft edges, worse shifted.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Samyang without modification allows both tilt and shift on the same axis. I believe you can send the Nikon in to have this changed or do it yourself.

I tried 3 of the Nikon lenses all new none were any good when shifted. Soft and some details smearing.

As posted by Bernard others report positively on the lens. I came from the Canon 24TS-E II which is a much better lens just can't use it on a Nikon due to focal flange distance.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond

+1

My 24pce is fine even on my D800.  If you need the tilt and shift on the same axis, it's 4 screws and five minutes to change.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

TSJ1927

Here is a shot with the Samyang 24 PC.  This image produced to a 33" wide print.  I have no complaints. 
 http://www.pbase.com/tojo123/image/155037534

PdF

I rent a Nikon TS (and I clean my sensor by Nikon Belgium maintenance service) tomorrow morning before rushing to Bruges to start my series of images (4-5 days shooting is the program). I will later try to find a Samyang to make a comparative test.

Thank you for your opinions.

The sensor of my D800E takes very quickly dark spots (not dust). Cleaned two weeks ago by Nikon Belgium, it is already riddled. Yet he remained on a foot studio since then, without changing lens. Does somebody have such experience ?

PdF

PdF

TSJ1927

I rent a Nikon TS (and I clean my sensor by Nikon Belgium maintenance service) tomorrow morning before rushing to Bruges to start my series of images (4-5 days shooting is the program). I will later try to find a Samyang to make a comparative test.

Thank you for your opinions.

The sensor of my D800E takes very quickly dark spots (not dust). Cleaned two weeks ago by Nikon Belgium, it is already riddled. Yet he remained on a foot studio since then, without changing lens. Does somebody have such experience ?

PdF

Yes, I also have that problem ......................... it's oil splash, a similar problem that plagued the d600.  Small round fuzzies, Right?  I have done 3 wet cleans in the last 6 months myself.  This is the only way to get it clean.  The camera ultrasonic only works with dust type particles.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

I don't see that issue (D600 oil spots) on my D800e.  It gets a regular amount of dust, but the normal camera cleaning seems to get it.  Mine was purchased in June of 2012, so Nikon may have changed the shutter out with later models.  Maybe they will offer a replacement like they did for the D600's. 

The worst camera I had for this type of issue was the Canon 1Ds MKII just horrible in the corners.  The 1ds MKIII was marginally better.  Never had to clean either of 5D MKII's. 

I have had to wet clean my D800e once in just about 2 years.  Lots of lens changes per day.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

PdF

"Small round fuzzies, Right?"

It is this, exactly. Small, round, dark spots. I tried to remove with wet cleaning Visible Dust. But this only spread this fat jam ......

Does Nikon have a solution ???

I bought the 800E in July 2013, when my Sinar back showed some signs of fatigue ...

PdF
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:58:47 pm by PdF »
PdF

TSJ1927

I'm cleaning my 800E with the cleaning kit that came with my Phase.  Its a two-part system. Works well, but the oil has not "run its course" and the camera will be 2 years old in august.  My new back-up  800E has not yet shown oil, but there are less than 500 shots on it. 

kers

• Pieter Kers

"Small round fuzzies, Right?"

It is this, exactly. Small, round, dark spots. I tried to remove with wet cleaning Visible Dust. But this only spread this fat jam ......
PdF

If i have spots that does not become sharp- it is dust on the lens surface...
(try change the lens and see if the spots change location...)
I have not any problem with dust on my d800e- if i blow the sensor, clean the lens surface and use the cleaning program the sensor is clean, even at f22
( I have an early d800e0
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

I have not cleaned my D800 a single time in 2 years of intense usage. Hardly a dust spot visible.

Now Japan has a very clean air overall.

Cheers,
Bernard

Iluvmycam

That's the question !

I have to buy (tomorrow) a lens for an architectural job. I found nowhere comparative between these two lenses.

The reputation of the Nikkor is very bad (especially compared to Canon). But what is the quality of the Samyang/Rokinon compared to Nikon?

The camera is a D800E.

PdF

I have been away from Nikon for decades.  In the 1970's when I was shooting Nikon they were the best. What happened to Nikon? When did they start going downhill?
Pages: [1]   Go Up