Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Printing Papers come the closest to the look of an actual Metal Print?  (Read 3067 times)

uintaangler

I do like the look of prints done in aluminum but still prefer to do my own printing
Are there any papers out there that come close to look of a metal print?
Thanks,
Bob

Some Guy

Not really.  The aluminum plates have that super flat glossy finish that is hard to duplicate with even the metallic papers which are a different look entirely.

Maybe something like a super-gloss film (paper) on a very flat mounting surface would be closest.  "Pictorico Pro Hi-Gloss White Film" or maybe "Inkpress White Gloss Film" would be closest if you could mount them perfectly flat.  Might be able to laminate them to add depth too.

SG

tektrader

None that I have found. Have been using Red River polar metallic 80lb which is NICE. But its no alloy sheet.....

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com

You will never match the dye sub print you received from Florida but if you have a straight path feed printer you can try it yourself.
Just get the sample pack of 6 different metals from Booksmart Studios and print away.

huguito

Hi Dan
Do you know of any other supplier of aluminum sheets, already coated to accept ink, or not coated?
Booksmart prices are a bit too much

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com

Don't waste your time trying to do it yourself. Search for "aluminum print" in the forum for past threads where several of us spent time and money trying to do it. If you want a metal print outsource it to a dye sub shop.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com

Hi Dan
Do you know of any other supplier of aluminum sheets, already coated to accept ink, or not coated?
Booksmart prices are a bit too much

I have a dye sub setup now and have not done a pigment on Inkaid coated metal for quite sometime.
As Neil says quite a few of us have spent considerable resources (Time and money) on the process with less then ideal results. It is more of a crafty look but in my opinion is just not sellable.
Bob seems new at this and seems to want to give it a go. My suggestion rather then buy uncoated metal and coat it yourself with Inkaid is to buy the precoated sheets as it will give you acceptable results.

To answer your question there is one other company that sells pre coated sheets but the name escapes me.
They are all fairly expensive. The other route is a gallon of Inkaid and a roll of roof flashing and you can coat and print to your hearts content at a $1 a sq. ft.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:07:44 pm by Dan Berg »

shadowblade

The way to do it would be to print on an ultra smooth paper or other surface, then coat it with multiple layers of high-gloss varnish. You won't get the gloss without a varnish coat. But, due to the wide gamut of inkjet printers compared to dye sub, the varnished print will have a colour gamut far exceeding what the metal prints produce.

Is there any way to ferrotype a water-based varnish coating for an ultra-smooth surface, as you could do with a gelatin coating?

uintaangler

I appreciate the responses but I'm afraid my question my have been misleading
I am not thinking I can completely recreate the look of a true metal print but am wondering if I can find a paper that can produce a similar look and feel to a lesser degree
I noticed the MOAB SLICKROCK papers, Slickrock Pearl & Slickrock Silver and was wondering if they might be worth a try
Thought I would make this post before making the purchase
Bob

mkihne

Not familiar with those but second the Red River metallic(in reality they may come from same source....older post about this). For some reason RR is discontinuing the 80lb version but retains the 60 lb paper.  I also appreciate the availability in 25in length on their 17in wide paper as I print largely on Epson 3880, saving me from cutting from rolls on those prints that I want to maximize without cropping or otherwise distorting from full frame.

shadowblade

Only the brushed aluminium metal prints look metallic - the normal ones just look like super-glossy normal prints.

Ernst Dinkla

I appreciate the responses but I'm afraid my question my have been misleading
I am not thinking I can completely recreate the look of a true metal print but am wondering if I can find a paper that can produce a similar look and feel to a lesser degree
I noticed the MOAB SLICKROCK papers, Slickrock Pearl & Slickrock Silver and was wondering if they might be worth a try
Thought I would make this post before making the purchase
Bob

Of the 11 metallic/pearlescent papers in my collection the Sihl Masterclass Metallic Pearl High Gloss Photo 290 gsm has the most metallic look. It also give the highest light reflection as measured for SpectrumVIz.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

BillOConnor

I have been playing with Moab Slickrock Pearl, mostly. I LOVE it for certain things. It gives an almost 3D look to certain images. These papers are not or everything, but when they work, Zowie!

uintaangler

Bill, can you be more specific about the types of images you like with the Slickrock Pearl?

sispneu

Actually the Moab Slickrock Silver 300gsm is the only paper that comes remotely close to replicating the look of the aluminum prints you might see from one of the big photo labs.  It has a true silver look with a microporous coating which means it can render a wider color gamut and better d-max than traditional direct on metal prints.  It's also instant dry!  There is nothing else like it on the market.  I've seen it framed and I've also seen it mounted with a full bleed print behind acrylic.  Looks just like, if not better, than direct on metal prints.  In my humble opinion of course...
Pages: [1]   Go Up