Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Driver setting Draft when selecting Epson Premium Glossy or Semigloss  (Read 1110 times)

RzB

I have bumped into a problem in the 1500W printer driver - Version 6.92 - the latest version. But it also appears to be in 6.91 and 6.90.

Please see the screenshots in the following dropbox folder. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3bhwp50nakb5n6u/5ZgjzIW49h

You can see that in the Advanced tab I have turned off colour management and that Quality is set to Photo in Pic 2.

The detailed settings that were used to create a Preset can be seen in Pc 3 - Note Quality is set to Photo.

Unfortunately, in the Main tab the quality is set to Draft - Pic 4! It also appears to print using the Draft quality.

I have never set Draft mode.

After a little investigation I have found that it appears to switch to Draft on the Main tab whenever Epson Premium Semigloss or Glossy is set in the Advanced Mode tab. It also happens when ICM is selected.

I have found that I am unable to set Semigloss or Glossy and Photo if Colour Adjustment is off. It's OK for Ultra Glossy and Epson Archival Matt.

This occurs on two machines running Windows 7 Home 64bit.

Is it just me? I have searched but can't find anything about this. Surely someone else would have noticed this - these drivers have been around for some time - what can possibly be wrong?

Roy

Edit - Windows 6! Where did that come from!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:10:24 am by RzB »

RzB

I have added a very short screen shot video, of exactly what is happening, to the drop box folder...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3bhwp50nakb5n6u/5ZgjzIW49h

Roy

Simon Garrett

Looking at your image 4, do you mean that you can't at that point select "Photo" or "Best Photo", while the "Type" is still "Epson Premium Semigloss"?

With other Epsons, I've sometimes found that changing paper type or size can reset quality settings, which you then have to set again.  I've never used Premium Semigloss - mainly Premium Glossy or Premium Lustre - but I've always been able to set Photo quality and ICM off, usually by setting paper type and size first, I think.  I've not used the 1500, so can't help more specifically.   

RzB

Looking at your image 4, do you mean that you can't at that point select "Photo" or "Best Photo", while the "Type" is still "Epson Premium Semigloss"?

With other Epsons, I've sometimes found that changing paper type or size can reset quality settings, which you then have to set again.  I've never used Premium Semigloss - mainly Premium Glossy or Premium Lustre - but I've always been able to set Photo quality and ICM off, usually by setting paper type and size first, I think.  I've not used the 1500, so can't help more specifically.   

Simon - many thanks for your response.

I can set Photo at that point - but as soon as I do that it turn on Colour Management on the Advanced tab.

If I then go to the Advanced tab and turn off Colour Management it switches back to Draft mode on the Main tab.

See the short video in the drop box folder https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3bhwp50nakb5n6u/5ZgjzIW49h

Roy

RzB

OK - Slight move forward - if I use the Main tab for setting the media type and quality, instead of the Advanced tab, then it doesn't go to Draft mode.

However saving to a preset and then setting options from that preset brings up draft mode again.

I can recreate this on three machines, two Windows 7 machines, and one Windows 8 machine.

Is there anyone out there with an Epson 1500W that could give this a try to see if they can recreate the problem...

This only happens with Premium Gloss and Premium Semigloss media types. If I use Premium Ultragloss, for example, it works correctly. It also works correctly if I use Best Photo.

Epson level one support say they can't recreate it.. See short video here...

http://share.cx.com/mcSkLT

This is using the latest 6.92 driver on Windows 7 and 8.

Many thanks,
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up