Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drag and drop into quick collection  (Read 3181 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Drag and drop into quick collection
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:01:58 am »

I haven’t used quick collection feature much (if at all), but today I had a pretty good use for it as I was consolidating and organizing keyword tags.  I tried to drag and drop some images into the quick collection, and it doesn’t work.  I watched some online videos that all talk about adding files to the quick collection, but all of them discuss using the “b” key or clicking the target selection circle as though that was a feature of the quick collection, which it really isn’t.

The only way I found to add images to a quick collection was to first make it the target collection and add via the b key or the circle icon.  I am using the target collection function on another collection simultaneously and my work around was to switch my logic and drag and drop to that collection, using the target collection function on the quick collection.

So no real issue, but the inability to drag and drop to the quick collection seems very strange.  Am I missing something?  Is this really working as intended?  Checking on my buddies LR and it operates the same way, so seems to be how it is, not a problem with my install.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Drag and drop into quick collection
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 12:20:07 am »

I rarely use Quick Collection and tend toward making a temp regular collection (using VC's) then dumping when the need is over. QC is an option, but somewhat limited. I wouldn't want it to go away, but just cause you CAN do something doesn't mean you must.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 01:17:35 am »

No problems here with dragging images to the quick collection in library mode. Singles or multiples.

LR 5.4 on W7 64

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 01:30:28 am »

Just tried it for you, Wayne - Windows 8.1 64-bit, LR 5.4

With QC set as Target I dragged and dropped an image in there with no problem. Created a blank collection and set it as the target collection, dropped on image in there, then shift-selected three others and dropped them into the QC. No problems.

Not sure what to tell you!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 07:30:31 am »

Wayne - funny timing. Two days ago I upgraded to Lr 5.4 and last night I tried to do exactly what you described. I couldn't move some images to QC and couldn't figure it out right away. Then I 'discovered' the 'set as target collection' command and set QC to it. Then the move worked. However, I've never, ever, used the 'set as target collection' command before and I've used the QC frequently.

So, I assume this is change in the software brought on with release 5.4. I would prefer that QC was its own special file and required no specific designation-to. Otherwise, what is the point?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 08:50:33 am »

Something seems odd. It looks more like a bug than a design change.

In 5.4 on Win 7/64 I couldn't initially drag to the QC, but could do after restarting LR. I then set another collection to be the target collection, and found I could no longer drag items to the QC.

Going back to 4.4, setting the target collection made no difference - in all cases I was able to drag to the QC.

John

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 05:10:58 pm »

I haven’t used quick collection feature much (if at all), but today I had a pretty good use for it as I was consolidating and organizing keyword tags.

Great idea; thanks for the tip.  I'm in the process of harmonizing tags across a large number of files that antedated my current keywording scheme, and that sounds like an efficient way to do it.

James R

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 02:53:55 am »

I use QC every now and then;however, I never drag and drop.  I highlight the images and press "B" tot put the selected images into the QC.  This method is much quicker to me.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 03:14:48 am »

I use QC every now and then;however, I never drag and drop.  I highlight the images and press "B" tot put the selected images into the QC.  This method is much quicker to me.
The B key isn’t a quick collection shortcut, it’s the target selection shortcut.  I prefer to have my target collection set to another collection, because quick collection is always at the top and so it’s very easy to drag images into it.  Something seems odd, because there really isn’t any reason you shouldn’t be able to work with a quick collection just like any other “dumb” collection ... either set as target or drag and drop. As others have mentioned, maybe something has happened with 5.4 ... I”m pretty sure I’ve been able to drag &drop into it in the past.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 03:23:25 am »

Wayne, see my post - I tested in 4.4 and it was perfectly possible. It's a bug.

KSonde

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 03:05:07 pm »

Wayne,

Are you dragging on the actual image or the border? Only works for me when clicking the image. (LR 5.4)

Kurt

James R

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 03:25:45 pm »

The B key isn’t a quick collection shortcut, it’s the target selection shortcut.  I prefer to have my target collection set to another collection, because quick collection is always at the top and so it’s very easy to drag images into it.  Something seems odd, because there really isn’t any reason you shouldn’t be able to work with a quick collection just like any other “dumb” collection ... either set as target or drag and drop. As others have mentioned, maybe something has happened with 5.4 ... I”m pretty sure I’ve been able to drag &drop into it in the past.

Sorry, I didn't recall that you set the "B" to another collection.  I've tried drag-and-drop on both MBP and MP without any issues, regardless which collection is set as the target.  Either you have a bug or your not grabbing the files correctly (which I doubt).   Have you considered re-installing LR?  

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 12:50:55 am »

I am using LR 5.4 on a Windows 7 64bit computer and I have no problem in dragging selected images into either a normal collection or into a Quick Collection.  As someone mentioned before, you have to click in the image thumbnail and not the thumbnail border to drag and drop.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 01:27:15 am »

Yes, I’m fully aware you have to click on the image to drag it. Behavior is the same on 3 different macs.  I think those suspecting a bug may be right.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 01:36:17 am »

Posted this over on the Adobe Lightroom forum and indeed it appears to be an issue related to LR mobile.

If I sign out of LR mobile, dragging into the quick collection works fine.  As soon as I sign into LR mobile, the only way to add images to a quick collection is setting it to target collection and use B or click the button on the image.

James R

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 09:50:55 pm »

Wayne,

That is interesting, good find.  I'll wait to give the mobile a try.

Thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up