Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon J4: yet another mirrorless option withheld from the USA market  (Read 8014 times)

BJL

Nikon has announced yet another mirrorless camera option that (for now at least) will not be offered in the USA, the Nikon One J4: "The Nikon 1 J4 will be available outside of the U.S.".  This follows the Canon EOS M2 ("Canon has confirmed that the EOS M2 won't be sold in either the European or North American markets.") and the limited USA availability of the Nikon One J3, only in an expensive kit with lens and external EVF: "Nikon USA is bundling the camera with the 10-30mm PD-Zoom lens, EVF, and grip, with a price tag of $1200."

Well, a few decades ago, the USA was a very poor market for smaller Japanese cars in competition with the reassuringly big "highway gun boats" of that era, and I expect that with system cameras too, the market here will eventually become more diverse.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:37:41 am by BJL »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Nikon J4: yet another mirrorless option withheld from the USA market
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »

To me, the slow to adopt process of both Canon and Nikon to a mirror-less full frame solution has been interesting to watch.  Not sure why both companies feel that this market (mirror-less full frame or APS-C) is not a good place to be. 

Both companies have to me the best overall range of optics, and should be able to produce a camera similar to a A7 or Fuji X-T1.  Nikon has access to some of the best DR ranging sensors created so far (from Sony) and to me such a product would be well received.  Sure some of the D800, D610, D7100 sales would drop, but that's just part of it. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

SZRitter

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 01:01:40 pm »

To me, the slow to adopt process of both Canon and Nikon to a mirror-less full frame solution has been interesting to watch.  Not sure why both companies feel that this market (mirror-less full frame or APS-C) is not a good place to be.

To me, it seems they are pulling more a GM or Toyota move and resting on their laurels. Instead of truly innovating, they are sticking to what they know, and just making minor tweaks to keep them current. Not to mention, with as large as their lens system is, and with as large of a share as it commands, making the switch would probably be hard. To do it properly, they would almost need to keep both the current SLR systems in place and bring up a new mirrorless alongside. Sony seems to have done it successfully with the E mount, but it might be harder for Nikon and Canon to do.

MoreOrLess

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 04:02:13 pm »

The impression I get is that not only is the US mirrorless market smaller than that in Japan and the far east but its also got a very different makeup.

In the far east I'm guessing your looking at sales more akin to the DSLR market, lower end bodies make up most sales which become progressively less for higher end bodies. In the US on the other hand there just doesn't seem to be as much interest in lower end mirrorless releases(such as the J4 and EOS M), looking at amazon's sales chart I think its notable that higher end models are placed further up than on the DSLR list.

In this kind of market I can see the sense in releasing the V3 but not the J4, especially when you also have a strong market share for DSLR's and high end compacts.

To me, the slow to adopt process of both Canon and Nikon to a mirror-less full frame solution has been interesting to watch.  Not sure why both companies feel that this market (mirror-less full frame or APS-C) is not a good place to be.

Canon is in the ASPC mirror less market of course but I think we've seen with the recent Sony FE system that FF mirror less isn't quite as plain sailing as many thought it would be. Lens balance and issues with light angles are significant problems that seem like there not going to be overcome easily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up