Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7r for landscape on a tripod with Canon L lenses ??? and Tablets.  (Read 3727 times)

sanfairyanne

My 5d2 has 99,000+ actuations on the shutter so I thought it was time to upgrade. I'm keen to buy the relatively affordable Sony A7r. I've spent a fair bit of time reading through reviews where people suggest there is a problem with shutter vibration. I wanted to ask forum members if it will effect my style of photography.

I shoot with 4 main lenses for landscape, 99.9% on a tripod. They are typically wide lenses: Canon L 16-35mm, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 24mm TS-E and Canon 70-200 f4 L with a lens collar.
I want the capability of shooting at anything from 30 seconds to 1000th of a second.

With this in mind should I be worried about the shutter vibration.

Also:

Due to my limited eye sight I think I would benefit from the wireless feature enabling me to shoot un-tethered to an Android tablet. I wonder if anyone has tried this and if so is it quick to set up and quick to receive an image on the tablet. To me it is pointless turning on the camera then faffing about syncing the camera to the tablet.I don't want to have to spend time pressing buttons and waiting for a connection. Ideally I'd like to turn on the tablet and camera then fire off a RAW shot and see it within moments on the screen. I must stress I NEVER shoot Jpeg so unless I can do this in RAW it is utterly pointless. Plus I couldn't care less about shooting from the tablet, I just want the large screen to judge focussing.
One other point I might question, I do have access to an ipad mini. I'm led to believe there is an Andoid app for the i-pad mini, therefore it should be possible to shoot to the i-pad. Any thoughts on this ?

sanfairyanne

I've been in touch with a friend who's going to test his A7r and see how easy it is to shoot to a Nexus tablet. I looked up the price of the Nexus 7 $120. At that price it would make a far better alternative to viewing images on the 3'' Liveview screen on the A7r. I will report back.

sanfairyanne

I've just discussed the shutter issue with a friend who was kind enough to create a bunch of files all shot with a 50mm lens on a tripod of a sheet of newsprint.
No great technical test but the results showed great performance at 1/250th of a second decreasing in quality around a 60th and improving dramatically at 20 seconds.
I should point out that I was looking at these files at 300% viewing distance.

I would write more about the use of a tablet but I cannot give accurate data as I am hearing it second hand.

If anyone has used a modern tablet with the Sony app 'Play Memories' I would like to hear their views as to how quickly an image can be viewed on the tablet. My ONLY reason for wanting to do this is to check composition and focus.

peterottaway

Are you intending to shoot 2 dimensional objects at 3 times viewing distance or not ?

Personally I'm not but then again I'm not into " grand canyon " landscapes either. Depending on how I can use differential focus, I tend to be shooting between 50 feet to 200 feet and rarely am I including details more than half a mile away - a quarter of a mile would be long distance on most of my work.

And that would be using something like my Nikon 180 / 2.8 which is at the moment my usual longer landscape lens or even a 300mm lens.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:54:44 pm by peterottaway »

Vladimirovich

With this in mind should I be worried about the shutter vibration.

http://blog.kasson.com/?s=A7R

sanfairyanne

Thanks for that last link it's further proof that I don't want to buy the A7r. There's a very good article in there which compares the A7r to the A7 and it shows the A7r's sharpness to be impressive at focal lengths below 135mm, however, the tester has the body and lens supported in ways I just cannot do.
I'm going to stick with my 5d2 for now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up