Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Article: A Trillion Trillion Terabytes ...  (Read 4827 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Article: A Trillion Trillion Terabytes ...
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 02:54:21 pm »

For those who don't know, each core represented a 0 bit or a 1 bit. That's why they were called bi-stable ferromagnetic cores.  You needed 3 cores for one byte.  (??)  Power would flip the magnetism of each either one way or the other representing the 0 or 1.  The oblique sense lines would sense what the state was.  If I recall correctly, each "read" required a subsequent re-write.  However, if the machine was powered down, the cores would retain their memory.  I worked on crypto machine where the cores operated like flip-flops and actually ran the machine in addition to memory.  Amazing technology of the time although we still work with binary operation.  Its just the "cores" that are different.

Telecaster

Re: Article: A Trillion Trillion Terabytes ...
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 06:24:53 pm »

Most of us having had the chance to grow up in a developed country 40+ years ago have gone through the same route and vividly remember some key steps on the way (mines were Commodore 64, Amiga 500,... I have always loved the guys with the better technology ;)).

Hehe, I was an Amiga guy too. Great OS once early kinks were worked out. Great graphics for the time as well. I remember having a fascinating discussion about photography & visual creativity in general with Tim Jenison of NewTek c. 1987 after a user group meeting where he demoed the then brand-new Video Toaster. Nowadays Tim is the subject of a film about his analysis of Vermeer's painting techniques. Fitting!   :)

But yes, we can hope that a digitized world where every atom has a corresponding set of bytes somewhere may be easier to forecast. Call it the Internet of Things, call it Big Brother...

That reminds me of the Borges story Del Rigor en la Ciencia. It's very short and well worth looking up.

-Dave-
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up