Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More articles on photography?  (Read 2828 times)

Stephen Scharf

More articles on photography?
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:36:01 am »

The principal reason that I come to Luminous Landscape is to read insightful and informative articles on photography, landscape, photojournalism, street, the genres that Michael and his writers have so much experience in. I also value the reviews from Michael, Kevin, Nick, et. al.

But lately, it seems that the majority of the content on Luminous Landscape is 1) advertising for photography workshops and 2) advertising for videos or video interviews. What that means, principally, is that I come here significantly less often. Primarily because there has not been the cadence of new photography content that there has been in the past.

I'd like to suggest the team considering back getting getting back to your "roots", and what creates value for your customers: informative, insightful, and educational articles on photography and reviews, rather than "articles" for workshops and videos.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:40:37 am by Stephen Scharf »

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: More articles on photography?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:12:49 pm »

Stephen,

We have a number of essays by some well known photographers on a variety of topics as well as a number of articles like you are asking for in the works.  We are working on new video content also.  I am personally working on an article about using the XT1 while traveling as well as articles on some new products that photographers may find helpful.  There are some useful technique articles also coming.  We will also be starting a new area on book reviews for photographers. Lately we have been launching workshops which are an important part of our business and offer the chance to get in the field and learn new techniques from some world class instructors.  We have a few more to launch over the coming weeks also. All of this takes time and based on sign ups for these workshops something many readers want.

We haven't forgotten our roots nor have we forgotten our readers and what they like.  Thanks for keeping us on out toes.  I'm sure you'll soon find more of what you are asking for.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:44:16 pm »

Of the last eleven articles three have been about workshops and products. Would you prefer to not know about these?
Jack Varney

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:31:19 pm »

I'd like to suggest the team considering back getting getting back to your "roots", and what creates value for your customers: informative, insightful, and educational articles on photography and reviews, rather than "articles" for workshops and videos.

While I have some sympathy with you points - I would suggest that the site creates great value for customers, being as most of them pay nothing at all.

Jim

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:18:13 pm »

... the site creates great value for customers, being as most of them pay nothing at all.

The flip side would be then: you get what you pay for? ;)

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:07:05 am »

While I have some sympathy with you points - I would suggest that the site creates great value for customers, being as most of them pay nothing at all.

Jim

Well, I always considered that "customers" are those that pay the bills.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 03:48:32 am »

Precisely.

jeremyrh

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 07:11:13 am »

In this case, advertisers. And creating value for the advertisers presumably involves attracting and keeping a large volume of "users" (or "product", a la Soylent Green :-)  ).

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 08:52:47 am »

Let's make this clear.  Our priority has been and always will be our loyal readers.  If you knew Michael, Chris and myself you would never say our priority is our advertisers.  The three of us along with contributors provide content unlike anything you can get anywhere else on the internet.  Our advertisers are important to us as they help keep us afloat and able to offer the material we do.  You can't even buy a magazine that offers as many free articles a month as we do.  And, we have a forum that is there for our readers and forum members. Our past articles are available for reference anytime.  We have video tutorials as well as workshops. Our passion is photography and we work hard to give you the best content there is.

End of story.

Kevin Raber

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Iluvmycam

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 10:29:51 am »

Sure, workshops are a big deal for those that wish to make $ with their photgraphy. It is just part of the photo world nowadays. The world is drowning in photos.

jeremyrh

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 01:15:20 pm »

Let's make this clear.  Our priority has been and always will be our loyal readers.  If you knew Michael, Chris and myself you would never say our priority is our advertisers.  The three of us along with contributors provide content unlike anything you can get anywhere else on the internet.  Our advertisers are important to us as they help keep us afloat and able to offer the material we do.  You can't even buy a magazine that offers as many free articles a month as we do.  And, we have a forum that is there for our readers and forum members. Our past articles are available for reference anytime.  We have video tutorials as well as workshops. Our passion is photography and we work hard to give you the best content there is.

End of story.

Kevin Raber

I don't think I said anything different. I was simply saying that if one defines a "customer" as one who pays the bills, then that role if filled by advertisers, not forum readers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up