Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR to PS(ACR)  (Read 1736 times)

KeithR

LR to PS(ACR)
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:47:37 pm »

I sure this has been asked many time before but I'm stumped. I do about 99% of my work in LR(including my color printing) and on the rare occasion I have to go in PS for what ever reason. I could be mistaken but I thought that if I had done work in LR, that when I opened it up in PS(via ACR) that the LR edits would show up ACR. Until recently, I used LR 3.x & PS 5.x(and which ever version of ACR that came with it-always updated). I'm now using LR & PS (via the photographic CC version).
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: LR to PS(ACR)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:55:08 pm »

Lightroom normally stores settings in the catalog's database, not in the .xmp file along with a raw file. If you want to use ACR to open an image that has settings from Lightroom, you'll need to save the settings to the external .xmp file for ACR to be able to read them. Under the Metadata menu, select Save Metadata to File. If you make changes in ACR those won't be read by LR so you'll have to then select Read Metadata from File to sync the changes back to LR.

But, if you are using Lightroom, why not simply open the images from Lightroom into Photoshop using the Edit In command?

eliedinur

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 01:39:15 am »

I have never really understood the point of "Open in ACR" instead of rendering in LR a tiff/psd. If you have made the xmp and opened in ACR, is there something that can be done in ACR that wasn't possible in LR? From ACR an RGB image will still have to be rendered in order to do PS editing and eventually saved to disk as tiff/psd, so isn't the net result the same?
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 02:01:02 am »

If you have made the xmp and opened in ACR, is there something that can be done in ACR that wasn't possible in LR?

Assuming an equivalent version, no...LR 5.x and ACR 8.x (assuming the same . number) the ONLY differences are usability and UI differences. The same settings in both will result in the same output rendered file.

KeithR

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:14:33 pm »

But, if you are using Lightroom, why not simply open the images from Lightroom into Photoshop using the Edit In command?

1st of all, thank you Jeff! I knew it was something so simple that I just plain forgot. My bad! I had been going back to older images that I had set up in PS for B&W printing through QTR(I'm on a PC so not able to access QTR through LR) and wanted to try out some newer images that I had worked up in LR. Knowing that I had to do output sharpening in PKS I just started pulling an image from Bridge and opened the image PS and it came in through ACR since it was still a raw file. When the edits I made in LR didn't show up in ACR, I thought I screwed up settings in preferences. Thanks again!
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up