Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samyang/Rokinon 14mm focusing on Nikon D800e  (Read 2172 times)

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
Samyang/Rokinon 14mm focusing on Nikon D800e
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:24:15 pm »

This lens couples to the Nikon focus confirmation circuitry to make it easier to tell when it is in focus. Theoretically.

My experience is that even at f/2.8, there is a comparatively wide range of focus that results in the focus confirmation spot in the viewfinder being solidly on. A little testing today has confirmed for me that for most focusing distances, the confirmation spot is most accurate at the closest distance within any given range, i.e., if it first comes on at 2 feet (on the distance scale on the lens barrel) and goes off at 5 feet. It is the 2 foot point that is actually the sharpest.

I say most distances because I didn't get a chance to actually test it at 'infinity', such as focusing on the moon or some appropriate distant object that would serve for photographing the night sky, one of my main reasons for buying this lens. I hope to try that this weekend on a little backpacking trip. But for the object at the greatest distance that I could distinguish in the viewfinder today-a tree two blocks away-it did seem to hold true.

I'll be focus bracketing my night shots this weekend and report the results here.

My one afternoon's use of this lens last month photographing waterfalls on the Cataract Trail on Mt. Tamalpais in Marin County left me impressed with the image quality of this lens, especially considering I got I got it for just $275. Now, what will I do with all that money I was going to save for the 14mm-24mm Nikkor I had my sights set on?
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

NancyP

Re: Samyang/Rokinon 14mm focusing on Nikon D800e
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:28:06 pm »

I am not a Nikon person so this may be naive. Can you use live view with magnification to focus in real time? Canon 6D user here.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 05:54:23 pm »

The Nikon Live View function does not work as well as Canon's, apparently. I don't find it useful for focusing. And with this focal length lens, critical focus is much harder. Perhaps with a point source of light, such as a star, it would be more useful...we'll see.

SeanBK

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:57:24 am »

I don't have this lens yet but has been eyeing it. For Live view w/Nikon, I just zoom in to my focus point and check the focus. Comes in real handy with manual focus lenses.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 01:55:46 pm »

I did get a chance to play with infinity focus at night last weekend, even though the almost full moon kept me from doing much sky/star photography. By using the moon as a focus point ( it pretty much exactly filled the square focus dot in the camera), I could see that the "closest focus" point indicated by the confirmation chip in the viewfinder holds just like it does for closer focusing.

I did a  lot of daytime landscape and closeup flower shots with this lens and am still quite impressed with the image quality. For the price, this is an excellent lens for anyone wanting to explore wider angles of view. Lots of fun in tight places!
Pages: [1]   Go Up