Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone printing for albums (wedding type)?  (Read 1682 times)

tlester

Anyone printing for albums (wedding type)?
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:05:54 pm »

Hi all -

I'm a recovering wedding photographer.  One of the things that always disappointed me was the quality of the prints that went into my flush mounted wedding albums.  Either printed from my lab (C-type) or from my album vendor (also C-type).  The prints were always from sRGB JPEG's, per their requirements.  Meanwhile, the prints of was making at home on fine art paper, directly from RAW w/ 16 bit and custom profiles were incredible.  Don't get me wrong...  my clients loved their books, but I know the difference.

So...  at a recent meeting with a bunch of other photographers, one asked if would print their album pages for them and then they would send them to their album supplier for binding.  I talked to my supplier and he said that some do it, but there's a lot of risks due to the somewhat abusive handling of the prints in the binding process.  He said that those who DO have success, typically print on Illford Gold Fiber Silk.

I was curious if any of you print your own flush mount print spreads or print them for others?  If so, what have you had success with?  What have been failures?  Do you offer this as a service?  How delicate is the final book?

Curious.

tlester

Re: Anyone printing for albums (wedding type)?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:06:27 am »

I guess this is uncharted territory!  IF you were to do this, how would you approach it?  Papers, handling, finishing, etc?

The biggest thing I'm concerned about is handling.  I like matte papers, but I also know that for most papers that I've used, matte is the easiest to scuff up.  Evidently, talking to my binder, prints get handled pretty roughly during mounting and binding.  He recommended Ilford Gold Fibre.  I know Ilford is going out of business.  I like the Canson Platine fibre.  But... I'd still prefer a good matte, but don't know if that's possible. 

Thoughts?

dannybirchwood

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 04:26:11 am »

It seems like it is. However I have been thinking about doing this myself.

I am a fine art printer. I have no problem in the printing and handling of the prints. Do you have pre formed albums ? Thats what I am looking for?? Know where I can get them ??

I love Hahnemühle Photo Matt Fibre for this kind of printing. As soon as the print comes out it gets tissue paper put top and bottom for handling even when slipping inside the pre formed mount then slip the tissue paper out at the last possible minute. Works for me

Maybe we can find a solution !

Dan
allcoloursonly.co.uk
Dan Garland - Fine Art Printing

na goodman

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:25:59 am »

I use the Unibind system. I print on matte papers. I do portfolios for artist and generally print their work on the type of paper they use. I have even done some on canvas.

tlester

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:24:19 am »

I use a couple of album suppliers, but the one that I want to use for binding my prints is Leather Craftsmen.   So, the process would be that I would print the spreads or pages.  So for a 10x10 album, I'd either print a 10" x 20" spread or I'd print two 10" x 10" pages.  I number them on the back and ship them to Leather Craftsmen.  Then, LC takes them and does all the binding work and covers it however I requested.  I pay them for the cover and a cost per pages for the binding. 

There are also a number of album suppliers that will send you a book with adhesive already on the pages.  Still custom, but you bind the album yourself.  I don't care for these as much as there is a small gap between the print and the edge of the book.  Not a big deal, but not my preference. 

Of course, if you are doing a matted album, you print each print for the size of each aperture.  So, if the matted page has two 4x6 openings, then you'd print two 4x6 prints.  These get sent to them for assembly. 

So.. the print has to take the abuse of handling during the binding process.

tlester

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:24:59 am »

BTW...  I WILL be trying this on an upcoming album.  If it fails, then it'll fail.  But I have to see if it works or not.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 01:36:32 pm »

My friend prints and binds wedding albums using Canon iPF6350 and iPF6450 on matte type papers - http://www.qtalbums.com

I also played with printing and binding on my iPF6350/8300 using Lustre/Silk PE papers.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

tlester

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:01:54 pm »

My friend prints and binds wedding albums using Canon iPF6350 and iPF6450 on matte type papers - http://www.qtalbums.com

I also played with printing and binding on my iPF6350/8300 using Lustre/Silk PE papers.

I'd love to learn how to bind, but I have no idea where to start.  Do you have any idea what papers he's actually using?  What tool does he use to bind.  His books look really clean, which fits my style perfectly.

Benny Profane

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 02:28:16 pm »

Screwpost binders are an alternative.  http://www.portfolios-and-art-cases.com/pz-rossano1411br.html This is what I use for my portfolio and gift books to friends, and the prints can be extracted with no damage. Just make sure you leave a lot of space to the left to center images. You really lose a lot in the gutter.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 02:43:43 pm »

I'd love to learn how to bind, but I have no idea where to start.  Do you have any idea what papers he's actually using?  What tool does he use to bind.  His books look really clean, which fits my style perfectly.

I'm not really sure, as he's a hopeless overly-pedantic perfectionist, and he's constantly looking for new solutions, binding machines and cover materials :D

From my experience - if you want to make an album you need a creaser, self adhesive spacers, binding press, a good cutter, double side adhesive tapes and laminates. Professional binding machines are quite expansive, but they're not necessary if you want to make a book or two from time to time, have a lot of patience and skilful hands. Start watching youtube videos about photo book binding solutions. I also suggest starting to play with making a book using photo papers - matte papers are much more fragile and challenging.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:50:49 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

tlester

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:02:00 pm »

I'm not really sure, as he's a hopeless overly-pedantic perfectionist, and he's constantly looking for new solutions, binding machines and cover materials :D

From my experience - if you want to make an album you need a creaser, self adhesive spacers, binding press, a good cutter, double side adhesive tapes and laminates. Professional binding machines are quite expansive, but they're not necessary if you want to make a book or two from time to time, have a lot of patience and skilful hands. Start watching youtube videos about photo book binding solutions. I also suggest starting to play with making a book using photo papers - matte papers are much more fragile and challenging.

Aannndddd... that's why I send it to my binder ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up