Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting Prints to Hardboard (a/k/a Masonite)?  (Read 14698 times)

Mike Raub

Mounting Prints to Hardboard (a/k/a Masonite)?
« on: April 08, 2014, 05:51:21 pm »

I have tried mounting injet prints to self-stick foamboard, but the foamboard always warps. Gator Board would avoid that, but is outrageously expensive (IMHO). I was in a lumberyard today and they have 1/8" hardboard for about $9 per 4X8 sheet. From what I could see, it should resist warping much better than foam board and the price is right.

How would I mount a print to this substrate? Some people apparently mount canvas prints to hardboard with Miracle Muck, but I fear ruining any print that got any of the Muck on its face (I usually use a matte paper). I have no access to a dry mount press, so I'm looking for a DIY method of mounting. It does not have to be archival; these are prints I hang on my walls for my own enjoyment and they get changed fairly often.

Also, how would I mount some sort of hanger on 1/8" stock? Most hangers use some sort of nail longer than the thickness of this stock.

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:53:12 pm by Mike Raub »

huguito

Re: Mounting Prints to Hardboard (a/k/a Masonite)?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:39:00 pm »

I mount paper andcanvasto gatorboard with miracle muck, I beieve you can do the same steps on masonite.

I cut the print, paper or canvas, a bit over the size needed to cover the panel. I cut the panel to the exact size I need to frame
I roll miracle muck on the panel, make sure you just cover it, not too much glue, here is a case of "less is more"
Position the print and roll a dry foam roll over it, then place the board flat with something heavy on it for few hours.
Trim the excess print around the panel and you are done

Hope it helps

Hugo

John V.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:38:23 pm »

I order pre-cut panels from Dick Blick http://www.dickblick.com/products/hardboard-panels/

http://www.dickblick.com/wood/panels/unprimedpanels/details/ may interest you also.

If presentation is no big deal... I've used a hardboard/foamboard combination on a couple things. Something like this: cut a 10" (or whatever) length of wood strip and attached it to the hardboard by screw. Put a D‑Ring on the strip to hang. Glue a piece of your adhesive foamboard to the hardboard, covering screw heads/giving a nice flush surface to mount to. Trim. Stick the print. Def not the most elegant thing in the world, but cheap...

JD
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:43:54 pm by onemoret1me »

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:29:11 pm »

I also print and mount onto self adhesive foam core.  I'll post some pictures in a bit of what I do to prevent the warping and allow to hang on a wall. 

enduser

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:46:49 pm »

We use Kapa board.   http://www.display.3acomposites.com/en/products/kapa/kapa-mount.html    They have a wide range of boards for many graphic purposes.

Mike Raub

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:33:42 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the idea of pre-cut panels--I came into this world with 10 fingers and would like to leave with the same number. Power saw use reduces that possiblity. However, I print 17"X22" in size (a good size both for my Epson 3880 printer and micro 4/3 camera). Does anyone know somewhere I can get pre-cut hardboard in custom sizes?

A lot of folks here swear by Miracle Muck and I suspose if I take sufficient care I could use it without getting any on the face of the print. I'm sure there will be some trial and error (and some cussing).

huguito

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:09:57 am »

If you buy a full 4' x 8' board in Home Depot, being that board Plywood, composite, or any of the options they carry.
They will be happy to cut it in sections for you, the cuts are free and their equipment is very precise, just have the measurements ready. You could get at least 8 or 10 pieces of 17x22 out of one board if that's the size you use the most

I got from them a 3/4 inch thick piece of finished pywood and have them cut to 4 diferent panels

Hugo

John V.

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 02:36:06 pm »

MM and CANVAS work together well. It won't work with photo papers. If you're printing on photo/Fine art  paper, a spray adhesive may be more appropriate.  http://www.dickblick.com/adhesive/sprays/ Or the 3m 568 sheets.

It's possible to cut 1/8" hardboard with a utility knife, with 10 passes or so. (fun)

hugowolf

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 03:18:35 pm »

If you buy a full 4' x 8' board in Home Depot, being that board Plywood, composite, or any of the options they carry.
They will be happy to cut it in sections for you, ...

Only at some branches. My local Home Depot will not.

Brian A

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 04:08:13 pm »

So Miracle Muck won't work for photo paper?  Thanks for the info.  I was about to order some to start doing the same thing.  I'm gonna order me some of that 3M 568 Sheet to see how that works for me.  I absolutely HATE the spray on adhesive.  I've tried it and it's not fun.  Has to be very even sprays if not you get bubbles in the middle of the picture. 

John V.

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 04:22:22 pm »

MM is just a PVA glue (Elmers, basically) IIRC. It won't bond to photo paper.

The 568 isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to work with either... I don't have any advice because I gave up on it. Other people have said it works well, with smaller prints.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:27:33 pm by onemoret1me »

hugowolf

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 07:41:57 pm »

MM is just a PVA glue (Elmers, basically) IIRC. It won't bond to photo paper.

The 568 isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to work with either... I don't have any advice because I gave up on it. Other people have said it works well, with smaller prints.

I have 3M 568 with 3/8" foam board and 1/2" Gator up to 20" x 30" without problems.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up