Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zone system calibration  (Read 9084 times)

David Cordner

Zone system calibration
« on: April 08, 2014, 07:47:26 am »

I'm trying to get my head around the zone system (starting to shoot b&w again) and one of the things I need to do is find my effective personal film speed. I have a efi es-1000, it's the same as the x-rite i1pro. Is there a way to use it to help me read my film base plus fog and zone1 or do I need a proper densitometer?

Thanks
David

EricV

Re: Zone system calibration
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »

The device has the capability of measuring luminance of an emissive source, so in principle it can serve as a densitometer.  You would want to take one reading of a diffuse white source (could even be your monitor) to serve as a baseline, then another reading with your film base (or film exposed and processed to some zone) inserted, and calculate how much attenuation the film produces.  The trick would be to get direct access to these luminance readings.  That would be a good question for the manufacturer.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 05:14:09 pm »

Before you spend a lot of time trying to make something work in a way for which it wasn't' designed, take a look at Ebay. There are good densitometers available at low prices, now that the places that paid big bucks for them when they were new don't need them anymore. Don't buy the Kodak Model 1, though; that requires that you visually match the shade of a doughnut with that of the hole, and is no fun at all. Get something with a meter.

Jim

Deardorff

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:18:50 am »

You might also check with Fred Newman at The View Camera Store in Arizona. He has a calibration system that does not cost much and makes quick work of this part of zone system testing.

It is meant for sheet film so you will need to contact him if you are using miniature cameras.

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 04:42:28 pm »

I'll second Deardorff's motion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up