Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5.4 released  (Read 9522 times)

Tony Jay

Lightroom 5.4 released
« on: April 08, 2014, 05:03:36 am »

At last!

Tony Jay

Simon Garrett

Re: Lightroom 5.4 released
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:12:04 am »

No new features, only new cameras and lenses, and some bug fixes. 

Apparently the bug that sharpness and noise reduction were not applied properly on some exports has been fixed. 

ario

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 05:26:35 am »

The ability to sync collection with the iPad looks like a new feature, to me.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 05:51:55 am »

The ability to sync collection with the iPad looks like a new feature, to me.
You're quite right!  Sorry, I use Android, not iThings, so must have subconsciously blanked it out.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:49:58 am »

Is this update for America only?

My v5.3 is still showing "Your software is up to date. No updates available at this time."
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

davidedric

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:55:35 am »

The i thingy is only available if you are a CC subscriber.    Discuss!

francois

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:06:46 am »

My v5.3 is still showing "Your software is up to date. No updates available at this time."

When I opened LR this morning, I go the update available dialog. Links (for manual download) are provided at the end of this article.
Francois

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:09:32 am »

I also clicked "update" in Lightroom 5.3 and was told that no updates were available.  But, if you use the link Francois provided above, you can find the download.  Works fine. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:40:46 am »

The i thingy is only available if you are a CC subscriber.    Discuss!

Hi David,

What's there to discuss.

As a purchaser (you know, pay in advance, no subscription) of the perpetual LR5 license, I feel the end of Lightroom without a subscription has just become more likely ...  Of course the App only being available to iPad users also shuts out the majority of tablet users (Android and Windows based), which seems a bit self-centered and arrogant.

Conclusion, they don't want me as a customer, just my money.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Simon Garrett

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 11:50:23 am »

It could just be that whoever developed Lightroom Mobile is an Apple fan, or more familiar with iOS and Objective C than with Android and Java, and decided to do Apple first.  But they're not stupid, and I think an Android version is pretty likely.  Almost no one is going to choose a tablet based on whether it runs Lightroom Mobile; they'll use Lightroom Mobile if it runs on their tablet.  

I've not developed anything on ios (only on Android) but I'd be surprised if there's an architectural reason why Lightroom Mobile can't be written to run on Android. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:52:05 am by Simon Garrett »

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 01:44:01 pm »

Hi David,

What's there to discuss.

As a purchaser (you know, pay in advance, no subscription) of the perpetual LR5 license, I feel the end of Lightroom without a subscription has just become more likely ...  Of course the App only being available to iPad users also shuts out the majority of tablet users (Android and Windows based), which seems a bit self-centered and arrogant.

Conclusion, they don't want me as a customer, just my money.

Cheers,
Bart

It's quite simple for me, if Adobe go down the subscription only route for lightroom then I'll simply use another product.
I have no need of PS anyway for what I do (still using an old version of paint shop pro I got for free)

Any company that tries to shove a concept down the neck of their customers ultimately will end up losing a lot of them.
Same applies for camera makers, some listen..some ignore, we know which strategy is doomed to fail

And yes I use android too, not Apple..again I make my own choices not what a company thinks I should use
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:45:51 pm by barryfitzgerald »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:09 pm »

I got the New Version message below when I opened LR5.3 and installed LR5.4 OK on my desktop running Win 8.1

I have an iPad 4 and I'll be going on a trip next month.   What do I load on it to use it? 

Support for Lightroom mobile, a new service to access, organize, edit and share your images from mobile devices.
Fixes for bugs introduced in earlier versions of Lightroom 5.
Camera support for many new cameras, including the Fujifilm X-T1, Nikon D4s, and DJI Phantom quadcopter.
Current version : 5.3 (build 938183)

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 03:52:52 pm »

There's a free Lightroom app in the iOS App Store today. You'll need that, and then some configuration work.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 05:15:51 pm »

It could just be that whoever developed Lightroom Mobile is an Apple fan, or more familiar with iOS and Objective C than with Android and Java, and decided to do Apple first.  But they're not stupid, and I think an Android version is pretty likely.  Almost no one is going to choose a tablet based on whether it runs Lightroom Mobile; they'll use Lightroom Mobile if it runs on their tablet.  

I've not developed anything on ios (only on Android) but I'd be surprised if there's an architectural reason why Lightroom Mobile can't be written to run on Android. 

Adobe does tend to favour Apple, but I suspect this is simply down to the number of Lightroom users who use iPads. As a guide, at my Lightroom site 60% of mobile traffic is iPad and 21% iPhone. That doesn't leave much space for Android and the most obvious device is the Galaxy - at 3%.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 05:24:34 pm »

I installed the 5.4 update
My identity plate was replaced with the nasty mobile one (it was still there I had to change it back though)
I was then prompted with a guide to lightroom mobile.

I dislike in your face stuff being pushed at you like this (which is quite useless to me for 2 reasons)
It only works on Apple
You need a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud service for it to work (which I don't have)

It's pointless getting into a debate about android v apple, let me just say this there are plenty of apps for both platforms (ie camera control apps and similar) for me to feel both are deserving of support. Personally I dislike both Google and Apple just as much so there is no bias around here  ::)

davidedric

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 05:48:46 pm »

Hi David,

What's there to discuss.

As a purchaser (you know, pay in advance, no subscription) of the perpetual LR5 license, I feel the end of Lightroom without a subscription has just become more likely

That is exactly what I meant to discuss.   Adobe has seemed to repeatedly reassure users that the CC and standalone versions of Lightroom will remain equivalent.   This is just the first example of divergence.

Dave

jpegman

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 06:15:48 pm »

I worried about my Android tablet and phones also, but, fear not Android users [and iPhone users :)]

According to Laura Shoe's blog

http://laurashoe.com/2014/04/07/adobe-releases-lightroom-5-4-along-with-lightroom-mobile-and-web-view/

Adobe expects to also release Lightroom mobile for iPhones later this year, and then will follow with support for Android devices.

Jpegman

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 06:25:45 pm »

Adobe has seemed to repeatedly reassure users that the CC and standalone versions of Lightroom will remain equivalent.

Show me where Adobe has ever said that Lightroom in CC and as a perpetual license would remain "equivalent"...I'm pretty sure I've never heard them say that. What they have said is the Lightroom will continue as a perpetual license and as part of CC. LR 5.4 has the same desktop functionality in both versions. The ability to use LRm is an added function for CC subscribers. They didn't take away any functionality to LR 5.4, they added new functionality to the CC version. There's a difference...

hjulenissen

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 01:17:08 am »

My (non-CC) 5.3 claimed that there was no update available. I clicked the Adobe links found inside Lightroom and a small amount of clicking inside adobe.com did not get me anywhere.

Then googled and wound up on adobelabs. Links to LR 5 beta, but no 5.4 update.

Finally found the direct link in a discussion about the update. Downloaded and installed.

I expect Lightroom to tell me discretely at application startup whenever there is an update to LR, even if it is an update that I will have to pay for (i.e. 5.x -> 6.x).

I get that Adobe really, really wants people to go CC. If all that they do to push us is keep the (seemingly quite lame) Lightroom Mobile exclusive for CC, while updating LR at the same pace for all paying customers, I am kind of happy about it.

-h
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:18:47 am by hjulenissen »

Robert55

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 01:33:56 am »

Got the usual update notification in Lr at starting up the programme [12 hrs ago]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up