Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac & NEC PA272W-BK-SV LED.  (Read 10817 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
iMac & NEC PA272W-BK-SV LED.
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:53:12 am »

Hi

I have an "early 2009" iMac and am keen to get the NEC PA272W-BK-SV LED Backlit Wide Gamut LCD Desktop Monitor with SpectraViewII.

I have a few questions:

1)  Will this combination work?
2)  Is the "Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable" that is included the correct cable, or would I need something different?
3)  I have the Colormunki Photo. Would I be able to calibrate the monitor with that? (There is a saving when buying the monitor only.)

If you are aware if any other issues I would appreciate all the help I can get. I will be importing this from B&H and with the current exchange rate, it is a substantial investment!

Many thanks
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: iMac & NEC PA272W-BK-SV LED.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:15:00 am »

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes, but you need to buy Spectraview II software license additionally:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/679242-REG/NEC_SVIISOFT_SpectraView_II_Display_Calibration.html

If it's available in your area, consider buying NEC PA272W locally, and calibrate it with NEC Multiprofiler software (without sensor).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:16:52 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

William Walker

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:39:42 am »

Hi Marcin

Thanks for your reply! You saved me $200.00! (ZAR 2000.00)!

I have tried to source the monitor locally but they only have the 271 at the same price as I can get the 272 from B&H. No contest.

Thank you again.
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

D Fosse

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:41:11 am »

I live in Norway and ordered SVII software from B&H. Shipping costs (UPS) increased the price from $99 to $152, and then a week after delivery I received another invoice, for an additional $65. This, it turned out, is VAT and customs.

So total cost is $212. But I'm not complaining, it's still no more than what I paid for my copy of ColorEyes Display Pro.

And it's a lot better. It transformed my P232 from a merely very good display into something that looks very much like a reference display; within its limitations of course. And in a month or so I'm pulling the trigger on a PA242 (without the unimpressive European Spectraview software); so I'm ready for that.

All in all money well spent.

howardm

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:01:59 am »

I have exactly the same setup (same iMac, PA241W, CM Photo).

It all works together well.  I use the SV software (purchased separately w/ the NEC) and BasICColor Display for the iMac (due to its excessive
brightness)).  Don't get the PA-SV combo.  It's expensive and locks the puck to ONLY being able to use it on an NEC display.  I only use the CM
software for the printer profiling, not any display calibration

Hi

I have an "early 2009" iMac and am keen to get the NEC PA272W-BK-SV LED Backlit Wide Gamut LCD Desktop Monitor with SpectraViewII.

I have a few questions:

1)  Will this combination work?
2)  Is the "Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable" that is included the correct cable, or would I need something different?
3)  I have the Colormunki Photo. Would I be able to calibrate the monitor with that? (There is a saving when buying the monitor only.)

If you are aware if any other issues I would appreciate all the help I can get. I will be importing this from B&H and with the current exchange rate, it is a substantial investment!

Many thanks
William

William Walker

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 02:22:02 pm »

Many thanks for the input - I ordered the monitor and the software after Marcin's post - Howard and D Fosse's posts have just served to make me really excited for it to arrive!

Thanks again
William

William Walker

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:31:18 am »

Not bad! Three day from B&H to my desk in South Africa!

Thanks again to everyone, it looks mighty fine!

William

D Fosse

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:09:04 pm »

Three day from B&H to my desk in South Africa!

How did it all turn out in terms of total cost, William?

I'm getting a PA242W (non-SV because I already have the SVII software/i1D3 sensor). The local price here in Norway is $1500, and at B&H about $1000 - but then there's shipping, VAT and customs.

I'd be more comfortable getting a US unit from B&H, what with all the firmware lock policies here in Europe preventing hardware calibration on non-SV units. It should work and does on my P232W, but it would be disastrous if it suddenly didn't...

Any particular reason to worry about shipping a presumably delicate display half way around the globe?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 02:48:49 pm »

Will the software work on a US purchased NEC?  I'd call NEC before you buy.   I understand the SVII software is different in Europe than the US.   

D Fosse

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 03:10:59 pm »

Ah, yes, this is a godawful mess...but I do have the US software (purchased from B&H), and it does - I suspect by accident - work on all European non-Spectraview P/PA units, such as my EU P232W. The EU software doesn't.

Unless they've made some recent unannounced changes, which you never know. Buying the software to find out if it would work on my already purchased display was not a big risk, but shelling out $1500 and then find out it can't be hardware calibrated is another matter.

So that's why I think I'll feel better ordering it from B&H. I'm just trying to get a handle on what the final cost will be. And also I have this (probably unfounded) idea that shipping a display around half the world might be a bit risky. But it's probably perfectly OK.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:12:58 pm by D Fosse »

William Walker

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »

How did it all turn out in terms of total cost, William?

Any particular reason to worry about shipping a presumably delicate display half way around the globe?

It worked absolutely fine! I could not be happier. The display's box was packed inside a slightly bigger box with very little padding - one corner had a slight ding in it, not serious.

I ordered the software only and it worked quite easily with the Colormunki, no problem there other than the fact that I calibrated by iMac using the Spectraview once - and now it does not "recognise" it. I will try and sort that out although, as long as the NEC is calibrated and working the Imac is not all that critical.

It landed on my desk for about $2000.00, including local VAT - still cheaper than buying it locally. As long as it is brought into the country legally (not grey import) the local agents have to honour the warranty.

I hope this helps and you have no hassles.

D Fosse

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 05:57:42 pm »

Wonderful, thanks a lot (guess I just needed a little reassurance  :) ). B&H it is, then.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 06:24:00 pm »

IMO it's not necessary to buy it at B&H in your case - you'll have to pay ~200$ for shipping, and 25% VAT, so the price will be just about the same.

Spectraview II worked with all european non-Spectraview displays since I remember (x80 and x90 series, P221, P/PAxx1, and now P/PAxx2, and EAxx4WMi), so I doubt that something ever gonna change in this respect.

D Fosse

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 06:44:38 pm »

Yes, that's how I initially had this planned, and then I thought...what if... :o

I probably worry too much  ;D

I had already concluded that the price would probably end up roughly the same. I'm really envious of those US prices, and even more so of the clear-cut NEC options in the US market. The NEC EU policy is just ridiculous - you buy a plain PA and then you're forever stuck with that and can't upgrade it. That only scares customers off, all downsides and no upsides.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 01:13:21 am »

Why don't you telephone NEC just to be sure.  I contacted them and spec to one of the special techs about connections to the monitor when I was setting it up.  The guy didn't seem to have an agenda only to help.  He wasn't taking names if you know what I mean. 

You have to put in the purchased serial number when activating.  So if it's going to work, they'll tell you so.  And if it's going to be a problem, they'll tell you that too.  If the latter, maybe there's a way they could advise to make it work.    But why risk the money not knowing?  You could also ask B and H although I'd rather ask NEC the original source.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 07:04:33 am »

Alan, it works 100% - it's been tested numerous times, and it is officially confirmed by the NEC DS that it works and is legal to use in EU.

D Fosse is just afraid that it might be blocked in future, but it's not likely IMO. The SVII license says that it works with all x80, x90, P, PA models, no matter from what market do they come. A retroactive change in SVII license would be needed to block european PAxx2 series calibration support, so (if I'm not mistaken) it may only happen in case of future NEC models.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:18:22 am by Czornyj »

D Fosse

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 07:38:11 am »

All of this makes sense. I just hate it when I need to even consider these things.

Still, I suppose it could change in the future if they see what they perceive to be excessive "market leak" - people like myself and William.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 07:47:11 am »

Primary target of NEC Spectraview Reference series is printing industry, and it's only one of NEC DS countless products, so I don't think they really care about a couple of photographers that will import SVII from B&H ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:52:50 am by Czornyj »

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 07:57:32 am »

I don’t know why NEC needs to make life so complicated for those of us living in Europe. The situation here in Germany is as follows: all of the ‘Color Accurate Desktop Displays’ are sold in two versions; one is simply called ‘SpectraView’ follow by a number (232, 242, 272, etc.) and the other is called ‘SpectraView Reference’ (...follow by a number). As far as hardware is concerned, both monitor versions are identical (I received confirmation of this from several NEC representatives during the last Photokina), and both are shipped with a CD containing, among other things, the ‘SpectraView Profiler 5’ software which, as many of you know, is nothing other than the ‘basiCColor Display 5’ software. The differences, other than the ‘Reference’ version being considerably more expensive,  is that it (the Reference version) is shipped with a detachable viewing hood and comes with a signed ‘SpectraView Certifier Document’ which supposedly validates the monitor’s pixel and calibration accuracy. Since I am not very fond of the basiCColor Display 5 software, I purchased the SpectraView II software directly from NEC (with help from my stepson who lives in the States) and installed it on my Mac Pro (also early 2009) for use with my SpectraView Reference 271. I have never encountered any problems whatsoever. Calibration is done with an X-Rite i1 Display Pro.

Unfortunately we’ve needed to have this discussion frequently here at the LuLa forum. Understandably so! Indubitably, the needs of photographers vary considerably, but certainly not between nations and continents! Is NEC listening? Having said this, NEC does manufacture excellent monitors (!) and the new PA272 is supposed to be even better than the older PA271 (which I still enjoy using very much).

Much joy with your new monitor!

Larry

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 11:39:47 am »

Companies may do these things to protect and satisfy distributors in Europe who complain that Europeans are buying from American sources rather than from them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up