Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Mobile Released  (Read 31240 times)

sandymc

Re: Lightroom Mobile Released
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2014, 06:53:11 am »

Lightroom and ACR support raw files from over 300 cameras...from my Phase One IQ 180 (80MP) down to my Sony RX100 II to my lowly Digital Rebel. So, you really wanna try to process 80MP raw files on an iPad? So, if Adobe released LrM 1.0 to support a subset of the raw files supported in LR 5.4, how do you think Adobe should have triaged raw file formats? Support only the smaller raw files? Only support the most recent raw files?

So, you are convinced Adobe COULD have done this, but pretend you are the LrM product manager...would you support 80MP raws as well as 22MP raws and 16MP raws?

Do you have any idea what the performance would be like trying to adjust an 80MP IQ 180 capture would be like? Do you really think Adobe is stupid? They did what they could do with what they have in the time frame they had to do it. LrM is an "add on" app for subscribers of the Photoshop + Lightroom CC subscribers (or an inducement to join the CC).

Personally, it's no skin off my nose either way...I tested LrM and made my opinion known during testing...LrM is, what it is. Some people may find it useful. At some point in the future when more features are added, others many find it more useful. At this point the only use I'll put LrM to is to see what it's like and then wait till I find it useful for my workflow. Now? Not so much...in the future? I'll see. But as a subscriber, it costs me nothing other than the time it takes to download and install. Again, no skin off my nose.

For those interested in finding out how well (or not) iPads deal with full raw files, just download PhotoRaw Lite, which is free, and try for yourself. The Lite version of PhotoRaw is restricted to a single camera model, etc, but is exactly there so you can find out whether or not raw development on an iDevice would be a useful part of your workflow or not.

Sandy

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2014, 08:33:21 am »

Your opinion & experience maybe but most certainly not mine. Except for the last sentence...nothing is "an all in one wonder that does everything great."

-Dave-

So you do a lot of raw processing on your tablet?
It's simple really one core of my desktop pc would spank the life out of a tablet processor..and I have many more cores

It's not really going to cut the mustard for raw workflow on a tablet (even a good one with a nice screen)
Right tool for the job, tablets are handy but lack firepower for intensive tasks (even v a decent laptop, let alone a good desktop)

Same reason I use a socket set to take bolts off, and not pliers  ;D

jeremyrh

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2014, 09:03:47 am »

Same reason I use a socket set to take bolts off, and not pliers  ;D

But when I'm out on my bike, and need to fix something, I use a pocket multi-tool and not my socket set. Likewise, I've had some fun on planes and in hotel rooms editing images with Snapseed on my iPad.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2014, 10:33:50 am »

Does anyone know if Lightroom Mobile is ColorTrue aware or if there are plans for it to be?

It isn't but could be once X-rite gets the SDK to them. But it's a bit pointless, ColorTrue doesn't really work. Yes, it's better than no calibration. But the tools provided are so crude and simplistic, only three white point options, the product doesn't match my display which IS calibrated to match my prints. So while better than nothing, it's still wrong and doing color corrections on the iPad with it would produce a preview that is either too warm or too cool. Kind of pointless along with all the other limitations of LrM and ColorTrue.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2014, 10:39:35 am »

Later, once you're in front of your fancy colour-managed monitor, those adjustments are already synchronised into your catalogue and you've freed up time for fine tuning.
Exactly. Do the work twice and hopefully charge for the work twice ;D
Otherwise, seems rather pointless unless adjusting photo's in a pub (or here a Starbucks) using their wifi is the new cool thing to do.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2014, 11:14:27 am »

No, you've made good use of some down time and make better use of work time. Andrew, you're so relentlessly and unreasonably negative about this that you wouldn'tsee any benefits of this even if they slapped you in the face.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2014, 11:20:58 am »

No, you've made good use of some down time and make better use of work time.
Actually I see it as a waste of good down time, only to repeat the correct edits later at work time but that's just me.
Andrew, you're so relentlessly and unreasonably negative about this that you wouldn'tsee any benefits of this even if they slapped you in the face.
I see nothing unreasonable about using a poor tool and workflow but again that's just me. If you feel doing something twice instead of once is effective, by all means do so. I guess some folks enjoy the slapping, I'll pass. Otherwise the comment doesn't deserve any further reply.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2014, 11:26:38 am »

Sometimes you've just got to let the dog chew away on his bone....

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2014, 11:35:46 am »

Actually I see it as a waste of good down time, only to repeat the correct edits later at work time but that's just me. I see nothing unreasonable about using a poor tool and workflow but again that's just me. If you feel doing something twice instead of once is effective, by all means do so. I guess some folks enjoy the slapping, I'll pass. Otherwise the comment doesn't deserve any further reply.

What really matters is not what you feel about the product, but what users in general are looking for. If e.g. 50% of the Adobe Lightroom CC customers thinks it is a great tool for them, then it's definitely a roaring success given a release 1.0 product. Adobe here lays the foundation for a product that in a couple of years can and most likely will look very different. Just think of the different releases that Lightroom itself went through.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:41:51 pm by Hans Kruse »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2014, 12:08:22 pm »

If e.g. 50% of the Adobe Lightroom CC customers things it is a great tool for them, then it's definitely a roaring success given a release 1.0 product.
Agreed so let's just see how the market reacts. And how they (or you) come up with that 50% figure. Looking over the UtoU forum after one day, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Telecaster

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2014, 03:32:39 pm »

So you do a lot of raw processing on your tablet?
It's simple really one core of my desktop pc would spank the life out of a tablet processor..and I have many more cores

Hmmm, I'd say you're judging something you haven't actually tried. PhotoRAW on my iPad Air does its work as fast, perceptively, as Lr does on my desktop. It's of course a much simpler piece of software...but it's also running atop a much more streamlined OS. iOS is not a cut-down version of OS X. It's a different thing.

You can & should work the way you want to. Or need to. But you better believe I will too. I've found Photoshop, Lr, C1, Aperture, Iridient, etc. are unnecessary for anything other than processing-for-printing. Same goes for having a calibrated display. It matters for prints, not so much for presentation on non-calibrated screens. I don't do much printing these days...

-Dave-

IanSeward

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2014, 05:04:41 pm »

I think you have called LRm just right.  I cannot see any reason for this application.  To use it you have to have already imported into your LR catalogue on your laptop and therefore what's the point?  If you need photos to show someone you can just export jpg's and show anyone those.

As for editing photos down the pub - please "get a life".  Just do the work once on your laptop, the right tool for the job.  I keep saying laptop because if you saw the Adobe launch video at Photoshop world they had a guy holding a desktop under one arm; Adobe seem to be unaware of laptops, they will be shocked by a Mac Air :-)

LRm may be all about "business".  It is possible that Adobe needed to get something out on the "mobile space" in order to show shareholders that they are playing in mobile, which is heralded as the future of computing.  Mobile is the future of "consumption" computing and that is where the big growth is.  Laptops are for productivity and that is what serious photography is about (instagram editing is great for iPhones) which is why so many on forums like this have reacted hostile to LRm. 

It's a free world however and if people want to occupy their free time playing with photos on an iPad then that is up to them.  I won't sully my iPad with LRm it's too busy with Candy Crush, actually I don't even do that, but the iPad is great for casual web browsing which is probably what they are used for most of the time.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2014, 05:13:49 pm »

Ian, with respect, go screw yourself. Of course, I'll gladly withdraw that if you edit your post and remove the moronic comment to "get a life".

Happily resolved.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:38:37 am by john beardsworth »

Telecaster

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2014, 05:23:54 pm »

Laptops are for productivity and that is what serious photography is about (instagram editing is great for iPhones) which is why so many on forums like this have reacted hostile to LRm.

New ways of doing things always provoke hostility. Ve$ted interest$ being threatened, dogmas being challenged. Whatever...the future happens regardless.

-Dave-

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2014, 03:25:45 am »

I do a lot of catalogue work. Some shoots go on for months. Not every day but  few days a week. Now I can have my catalogue of a shoot in progress with me when calling on a client. We can check was has been done and how. The client can make changes and requests while checking on my iPad.

That's just one application I can see for Lightroom mobile. You don't need much of an imagination to see many others.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2014, 10:56:53 am »

This discussions seems to have coalesced around two camps: whether or not tablets are useful for post-processing. It might be helpful to take a step back from that discussion, primarily because tablets are still in their infancy compared to the power of a laptop. If you go back a few years (maybe even a decade), the same arguments were being made against laptops. I'll bet there are still many desktop users who still question the use of a laptop for post-processing.

We are dealing with a change in technology. Early adopters see the benefits. Late adopters see the costs. We are clearly moving towards a tablet world. It makes clear sense for Adobe to be putting out an app like LRm even if it's not yet perfect and even if tablets are not yet perfect. If you wait for perfection you will die before it happens.

Is there anyone else out there who feels that the bigger issue is the way Adobe has done this: forcing LR standalone users to pay $99/year if they wish to use LRm. I know it's optional, you get cloud space as well as PS, and LR is (still) standalone (for now) if you don't want the service, but let's look at the big picture: is anyone concerned about the long-term issue of tying yourself to making rentals payments to a company to interact with (tag, edit, present) your images forever? Forever is a long time. What you're signing up for is a lifetime of payments. For how many more years do you expect to be actively involved in photography?

Or have the members of this forum just accepted this as the new reality and have moved on? I know it makes sense for professionals who can write off the expense, but what about those millions of photographers who dabble (or more – even have shows), but can't write off the expense. $100/year really adds up over time.

Of course, maybe my argument is moot. After all, in looking at my own future, I expect (hope) to be actively involved in photography for at least 25 more years. If things stay relatively the same (given inflation, I know they won't, but bear with me), that would be $100/year for 25 years - less than the cost of a professional camera body spread over 25 years. Heck, back in the film days, I would spend many times that on film for one extended shoot. AND, turning more of my photos into prints and books would allow them to be "perpetual" beyond the life of Adobe CC. Maybe my thinking out loud has just solved my dilemma. Thanks for listening!

(Edit: Auto-correct corrections made.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:05:14 am by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

IanSeward

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2014, 09:23:49 am »

Hi John

If my light hearted "get a life" post caused offence, then please accept my sincere apologies. 

I don't spend a lot of time browsing forums so that is why my reply is rather late, but better late than never.  Again, apologies for any offence caused.

Ian

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:57 am »

Accepted, Ian - obviously I didn't feel it was so humorous.

Best regards.

John

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:17 am »

Is there anyone else out there who feels that the bigger issue is the way Adobe has done this: forcing LR standalone users to pay $99/year if they wish to use LRm.
That's a big part of it yes. For lots of big raws, it seems pointless in terms of the speed issues going back and forth. But let's look at JPEGs and maybe how this has been done from say an iPhone. That works reasonably well if one isn't working with lots of images. Case in point, I just took a dog road trip and shot about 100 raws in Sedona and about 10 JPEG's on the iPhone with two being video's lasting 2 minutes or so. I get back to WiFi at the hotel, the iPhone images are uploaded to Dropbox albeit it slowly. So slow that I can't imagine doing this with 100 raw's even with Smart Previews. From Dropbox I import into my LR Library (move). I could do the same with iPhoto but hate it, so I just use DropBox as the temporary cloud storage. No need and no desire for the Adobe cloud. Cost of Dropbox is nothing.

stamper

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2014, 03:09:30 am »

Quote Telecaster.

Hmmm, I'd say you're judging something you haven't actually tried. PhotoRAW on my iPad Air does its work as fast, perceptively, as Lr does on my desktop.

Unquote.

Riding a bicycle down hill maybe as fast as driving a car uphill but there isn't in reality a fair comparison. If anyone values their work then the fastest computer with a good monitor is the way to go? I'm with Andrew on this. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up