Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Mobile Released  (Read 31221 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Lightroom Mobile Released
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 11:03:08 am »

LRm does having syncing to to/from the desktop via cloud services...
Ton's of fun doing that with say 100 5DMII raws, even more fun with the big-ass raws you capture.
Then, after sitting on the couch to 'edit' those images, you get to do it all over again, to get the edits back to the desktop? Does that sound like an efficient workflow?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 11:35:15 am »

Ton's of fun doing that with say 100 5DMII raws, even more fun with the big-ass raws you capture.
Then, after sitting on the couch to 'edit' those images, you get to do it all over again, to get the edits back to the desktop? Does that sound like an efficient workflow?

It's a good idea to understand how it works before you comment.... The edits done on the iPad goes back automatically and gets applied to the RAW or TIFF/PSD/JPG file it came from in the desktop LR catalog.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 11:52:33 am »

Andrew does have a pretty good idea, Hans. It doesn't mean he's right though.

Sync speed can be an issue (if your web connection is patchy), so it's not for deadline-driven tasks. And it's not colour managed, so your adjustments aren't final or fine level. But to paraphrase Andrew, you've done a few rough adjustments sitting on the couch or down the pub, had a moment to think through what you want the images to look like, and then you just need to fine tune them on the desktop. Is the time on the couch or down the pub efficient? Maybe not. But are you more productive overall, and did you enjoy the beer?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 12:37:07 pm »

The edits done on the iPad goes back automatically and gets applied to the RAW or TIFF/PSD/JPG file it came from in the desktop LR catalog.

That's both obvious and a condition I'm aware of. You've failed to understand my beef in the workflow. Wrong tool for the wrong job, a lot of time spent needlessly syncing anything. What next, edit raws on my iPhone? Let's build tools not for the best equipment available, instead some of the worst but do so because there are so many of them out there. No thanks, I'll stick with the proper tools for the job.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 12:56:24 pm »

That's both obvious and a condition I'm aware of. You've failed to understand my beef in the workflow. Wrong tool for the wrong job, a lot of time spent needlessly syncing anything. What next, edit raws on my iPhone? Let's build tools not for the best equipment available, instead some of the worst but do so because there are so many of them out there. No thanks, I'll stick with the proper tools for the job.

What is obvious and what you are aware of may not be obvious from what you actually wrote. I didn't see any beef to speak of  ;)

The wrong tool for the job for you maybe the right tool for somebody else. Some find e.g. laptops fine for editing, others would say it's waste of time. Right tool for the job depends on the person selecting the tool. It's not a universal right or wrong.

I find the first version quite nice as a presentation tool. The editing features are for me way too limited to be useful, somebody else might find them very useful.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 12:59:58 pm »

The wrong tool for the job for you maybe the right tool for somebody else.

Some would rather use a kitchen knife as a screwdriver than a screwdriver. Let them go at it.
The idea behind the workflow you haven't commented on, namely, taking a huge amount of data (raws), doing a double sync so you can decide what? Which to delete, which to keyword? Edit on a display that has no basis in reality? IF you charge by the hour, this is a superb new tool and workflow you should absolutely use! Otherwise, the entire idea in just moving this data around is silly. At least for anyone who's thinking of working with more than a handful of files.
I find the first version quite nice as a presentation tool.
And so is the LR web module on a device that can actually show you the images correctly from a stinkin web browser.

theophilus

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:55 pm »

Those complaining about iOS only should read this article:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/04/04/apple_vs_android_developers_see_a_socioeconomic_divide.html

I'm not saying YOU are cheap or poor, but overall the demographics point to android users by and large are not going to be subscribing to CC.  It doesn't mean that won't change but as of now it nearly always makes sense to release for iOS first.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 01:09:27 pm »

Some would rather use a kitchen knife as a screwdriver than a screwdriver. Let them go at it.
The idea behind the workflow you haven't commented on, namely, taking a huge amount of data (raws), doing a double sync so you can decide what? Which to delete, which to keyword? Edit on a display that has no basis in reality? IF you charge by the hour, this is a superb new tool and workflow you should absolutely use! Otherwise, the entire idea in just moving this data around is silly. At least for anyone who's thinking of working with more than a handful of files. And so is the LR web module on a device that can actually show you the images correctly from a stinkin web browser.

The RAWs are not synched at all. It's smart previews and not RAWs that are synched. I find presentation on the iPad very useful and it shows pictures very nicely even though it is not color managed and just sRGB. Does it really matter that much? My MBP retina display is also only sRGB although mine in calibrated, but my big (close to) Adobe RGB display looks much nicer, but it's too big to put in my bag for showing my pictures.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 01:14:44 pm »

In order to test if LR mobile is good for presentation of pictures and there is no hierarchy possible, I made the following setup in my collections. This means that the folders can be sorted on the folder name so that they come in a desired order. I then set the app in presentation mode so no edits are possible.

Maybe an obvious to do it....

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 01:22:31 pm »

The RAWs are not synched at all.
You're missing the point and the workflow. Raws DO have to be saved from card to some drive (desktop, laptop etc). That's step 1. I'd do that anyway and move on with the right tool.

With LrM now we must use Smart Previews.
We must now sync SP's to iPad.
We must then sync back. All the while, using a toy of a tool that is quite limited!

Instead I save raws to HD. Maybe I build SP's, maybe I don't (I personally don't).
I work on those images on a faster, color managed tool with all the functionality I need.
There's nothing to sync anywhere. Of course I do back up! That's another part of the workflow.

The solution is at best half baked. And the tool you have to use is half baked. Go ahead, use it, it's probably great for JPEG's much like Apple/iPHone/iTunes (add Drop Box and any number of other bits and pieces). For those working in raw? With more than a dozen raw originals? Seems like a huge waste of time to me. And at what cost of engineering resources at Adobe?

IF LR 6 comes out and blows us away, the last point will be moot. I'd hope they can build this iPad 'tool' and a killer upgrade to LR but if not, I'm going to be worried the energies were misspent on LrM. Time will tell. For now, with a very good internet connection (56Mbps down, 11.63 up.), there's nothing I see that I find time effective let alone tool effective. But by all means run it if you find it useful.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 01:29:47 pm »

We must then sync back.

Only the changed settings need to be synced back home, a few bytes of XMP formatted text.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 01:34:29 pm »

Only the changed settings need to be synced back home, a few bytes of XMP formatted text.
The outline I refer to is AFAIK correct.
We must then sync back.All the while, using a toy of a tool that is quite limited!

OK, so lets dismiss the first sync of SP's? While we're at it, let's dismiss the lack of functionality of the tool we've sent the initial data to? Let's dismiss the inclusion of dozens or more raws within this new workflow?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 01:37:13 pm »

You're missing the point and the workflow. Raws DO have to be saved from card to some drive (desktop, laptop etc). That's step 1. I'd do that anyway and move on with the right tool.

We must then sync back. All the while, using a toy of a tool that is quite limited!

Instead I save raws to HD. Maybe I build SP's, maybe I don't (I personally don't).
I work on those images on a faster, color managed tool with all the functionality I need.
There's nothing to sync anywhere. Of course I do back up! That's another part of the workflow.

The solution is at best half baked. And the tool you have to use is half baked. Go ahead, use it, it's probably great for JPEG's much like Apple/iPHone/iTunes (add Drop Box and any number of other bits and pieces). For those working in raw? With more than a dozen raw originals? Seems like a huge waste of time to me. And at what cost of engineering resources at Adobe?

IF LR 6 comes out and blows us away, the last point will be moot. I'd hope they can build this iPad 'tool' and a killer upgrade to LR but if not, I'm going to be worried the energies were misspent on LrM. Time will tell. For now, with a very good internet connection (56Mbps down, 11.63 up.), there's nothing I see that I find time effective let alone tool effective. But by all means run it if you find it useful.

Of course the RAWs have to be on the desktop and imported into the LR catalog as the product is working today. You don't need to build SP's and you don't need to resynch back. All this is done automatically when you have chosen to synch a collection. Again you may say this is obvious  ;)

As I said before, some will like it and some will not. For me it does look nice and elegant for picture viewing on my iPad. For editing for me it is way to limited in features to even be considered in the current version as only global edits are possible.

I don't consider it a tool for synching an entire shoot as there in most cases would be way too many pictures, but for photographers either just wanting to have an easy and elegant way of presenting their pictures or work with a client on selecting the best images from an already made selection and maybe do a little global edits to take it more in the direction of what the client would like this makes perfect sense to me.

It seems that you are assuming that the engineering resources are taken away from possible features in LR6. I doubt this is the case. I'm awaiting with great anticipation what comes in following releases.

As mentioned it will not fit all but I think Adobe is moving in the right direction here. The fact that an iPad only shows sRGB and is cannot be calibrated properly does not mean that iPads in the future can't. Bigger iPad's could also come and it might actually be a very nice way of editing pictures.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 01:43:51 pm »

As I said before, some will like it and some will not.
I don't like it, I told you why. I also told you that if you like it, great, use it. Makes zero sense to me but then there are all kinds of workflows out there. This entire exercise reminds me of a quote from the late, great Bruce Fraser. I wish he were around to comment on this.

You can do all sorts of things that are fiendishly clever, then fall in love with them because they're fiendishly clever, while overlooking the fact that they take a great deal more work to obtain results that stupid people get in half the time. As someone who has created a lot of fiendishly clever but ultimately useless techniques in his day, I'd say this sounds like an example."

I find LrM fits that well. But Bruce also wrote (and it applies to those who like it): If you're happy with what you have, be happy that you're happy with what you have!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 01:45:13 pm »

The fact that an iPad only shows sRGB...
That isn't a fact.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 01:57:18 pm »

I don't like it, I told you why. I also told you that if you like it, great, use it. Makes zero sense to me but then there are all kinds of workflows out there. This entire exercise reminds me of a quote from the late, great Bruce Fraser. I wish he were around to comment on this.

I find LrM fits that well. But Bruce also wrote (and it applies to those who like it): If you're happy with what you have, be happy that you're happy with what you have!

Fine with me.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 02:36:02 pm »

How do I load mobile LR on my iPad 4?  I have 5.4  purchased version running on my desktop running with Windows 8.1.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 02:47:13 pm »

How do I load mobile LR on my iPad 4?  I have 5.4  purchased version running on my desktop running with Windows 8.1.

Hi Alan,

It looks like they require you to have a CC subscription version of LR 5.4 before they unlock the feature.
If that's true, it's a plot to boost the number of subscriptons, and a slap in the face of those who paid for LR5 up front.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alto

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »

Hi All

No Subscription for Light room.
CC Subscription for the App.

Double Standards Adobe.

You can dupe someone once but twice????

regards

Jon

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 03:00:51 pm »

It looks like they require you to have a CC subscription version of LR 5.4 before they unlock the feature.
If that's true, it's a plot to boost the number of subscriptons, and a slap in the face of those who paid for LR5 up front.

A CC subscription IS required to do the synchronization which works via Creative Cloud servers. There is no direct synch between LR on the desktop and the iPad over a local WiFi network.

I do not agree that it is a slap in the face for those who bought LR5 as I do not think Adobe ever promised that all functionality of LR5 would be available to all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up