Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Mobile Released  (Read 31183 times)

Telecaster

Lightroom Mobile Released
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:38:40 am »

Available as of today. As I suspected, it's basically a mobile front end for the desktop/laptop Lr rather than a proper standalone version with syncing capability. Huge disappointment IMO. But it is free, so anyone already owning the current version of Lr can put it to use.

-Dave-
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:44:38 am by Telecaster »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Lightroom Mobile Released
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:39:57 am »

LRm does having syncing to to/from the desktop via cloud services...

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:54:53 am »

LRm does having syncing to to/from the desktop via cloud services...

Yes, but it requires desktop/laptop Lr. Syncing to that version as an option: fine & dandy. Requiring it: not so much. I may keep & use the mobile version anyway but I really resent being bound to my desktop when my iPad has the juice to go it alone.

-Dave-

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:59:04 am »

Your mobil doesn't have the power to handle raw files...that's why you sill need a desktop/laptop. You can import JPEGs from the iPad though.

Schewe

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:01:23 am »

Here's the blog post: Lightroom goes mobile with new iPad solution.

...and the Lightroom Journal blog post.

LRm is included in the Photographer's $9.95 CC bundle...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:03:37 am by Schewe »

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:22:55 am »

Your mobil doesn't have the power to handle raw files...that's why you sill need a desktop/laptop. You can import JPEGs from the iPad though.

I process RAWs on a near daily basis on my iPad Air via PhotoRAW and PiRAWnha. This includes Sony A7r files. PiRAWnha can be cranky memory-wise but PhotoRAW uses virtual mem and runs just fine. Speedier in fact than c. 2006 Lr ran on my then desktop machine. A standalone Lr Mobile could be done...if Adobe were interested in doing it.

-Dave-

Schewe

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 01:38:36 am »

Well, goodie for you...personally, I use a laptop cause, well, I shoot too much to even consider loading stuff on an iPad. (and no, I prolly won't be using LRm for much of anything other than running slide shows).

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:21:34 am »

Couldn't find a mechanism to rate (assign stars) in LRm. Or label with colour. Let me know if i missed something.

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 02:27:54 am »

Couldn't find a mechanism to rate (assign stars) in LRm. Or label with colour. Let me know if i missed something.

Nope...only Flag at this point. Rank and Label due in the future...this is really a 1.0 effort so a lot of stuff ain't there yet...

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:07:59 am »

Available as of today.

Maybe worth noting, only for iPad ...

How about an App for Android (the largest marketshare since last year, and growing) ?

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. Is it true that it only functions with a subscription and not with a fully paid perpetual LR 5.4 ?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:18:38 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hjulenissen

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 06:40:10 am »

I am curious to what happens behind the scenes.

*Does Lightroom create a smart preview (partially developed, compressed file) that Lightroom Mobile then process on the fly for rendering?

iPad resolution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_(3rd_generation)
2048 by 1536

Smart previews: http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/04/editing-off-line-files-in-the-lightroom-5-beta-using-smart-previews.html
2540 pixels on the long edge

*Does Lightroom Mobile read/write the regular .lrcat catalog file, or a local copy/light version? Regardless, how are the files maintained and synced? Is it possible to keep the lrcat on a storage resource (such as a NAS), accessing it both from Lightroom and Lightroom mobile?

*If you edit the raw files in regular Lightroom, then open the catalog in Lightroom Mobile, will you get to see things that could not have been seen if you opened the file directly in Lightroom Mobile (in other words, does LM show the essence of what was done in L development?)

Bart:
Yes, it seems that this is a thing only for subscribers and iPad users. I am none of those.
Nope...only Flag at this point. Rank and Label due in the future...this is really a 1.0 effort so a lot of stuff ain't there yet...
Bummer. I use the star rating actively, and being able to tag those things in the couch (or on the bus) could be a nice feature.

edit:
Reading the blog post, it seems that (part of) your lrcat is uploaded to the cloud, along with (reduced size) smart previews, so that the edits and image data can be accessed wherever you have an internet connection. Presumably, the local lrcat on your computer will be updated whenever you start Lightroom.

-h
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:45:07 am by hjulenissen »

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 06:57:52 am »

Yep, that it is the impression that I got after playing a few minutes with it this morning. They focused in some small set of features and they will improve it later on...

After thinking a bit how this application could be useful to me, not really looking forward to do any serious development in an iPad screen with their limiter set of colours, in particular the Mini one. But labeling (syncing labels between your lightroom catalog in your PC to the iPad), staring, putting colors labels, and keeping a catalog to show from an iPad looks interesting.

Now, if they also add the possibility of syncing and smart collection...

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 07:57:52 am »

I am curious to what happens behind the scenes.

*Does Lightroom create a smart preview (partially developed, compressed file) that Lightroom Mobile then process on the fly for rendering?

iPad resolution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_(3rd_generation)
2048 by 1536

Smart previews: http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/04/editing-off-line-files-in-the-lightroom-5-beta-using-smart-previews.html
2540 pixels on the long edge

*Does Lightroom Mobile read/write the regular .lrcat catalog file, or a local copy/light version? Regardless, how are the files maintained and synced? Is it possible to keep the lrcat on a storage resource (such as a NAS), accessing it both from Lightroom and Lightroom mobile?

*If you edit the raw files in regular Lightroom, then open the catalog in Lightroom Mobile, will you get to see things that could not have been seen if you opened the file directly in Lightroom Mobile (in other words, does LM show the essence of what was done in L development?)

Bart:
Yes, it seems that this is a thing only for subscribers and iPad users. I am none of those.Bummer. I use the star rating actively, and being able to tag those things in the couch (or on the bus) could be a nice feature.

edit:
Reading the blog post, it seems that (part of) your lrcat is uploaded to the cloud, along with (reduced size) smart previews, so that the edits and image data can be accessed wherever you have an internet connection. Presumably, the local lrcat on your computer will be updated whenever you start Lightroom.

-h

The blog post https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/04/lightroom-mobile-now-available.html says that smart previews are uploaded for all pictures in the collections you have checked for Lightroom mobile synch. How they are organized does not really matter. When you update on the iPad the changes are synched back to Lightroom and you can see in the history for changed pictures that they are marked as "From Lr mobile". So no history details on the edits done in the iPad LR app.

Only basic non-smart collections and not a collection set can be synched. I synched a collection of 116 pictures and on the iPad this took up 93.9MB of storage (se under general, usage, show all apps and find the Lightroom app). The synch was a bit slow.

It's a nice first version of the iPad app and as one could expect the editing features are very basic, but it's a bit odd that the rating features are not more complete as I would expect that this would be one use of this app.

It does not replace apps for viewing pictures, I think. I use the PhotoMgrPro app for viewing and it works with a Lightroom plugin which also does the synching over FTP to the iPad. The synching of pictures is much faster than the LR synch between the LR desktop and LR iPad. partly, of course, since the cloud is used to stage the synch. I use dimensions 3072x3072 for the image dimensions for the LR plugin jf Collection Publisher.

If the iPad Lightroom version would support collection sets so that groups of collections could be synched and shown as groups on the iPad one could have a nice and easy way of showing groups of pictures. E.g. one could have a collection set called Landscapes and inside collections for different locations like the following and the advantage would be that Lightroom once it is setup will automatically synch any updates that will be picked up on the iPad when LR is used on the iPad.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 08:03:50 am »

It does not replace apps for viewing pictures, I think. I use the PhotoMgrPro app for viewing and it works with a Lightroom plugin which also does the synching over FTP to the iPad. The synching of pictures is much faster than the LR synch between the LR desktop and LR iPad. partly, of course, since the cloud is used to stage the synch. I use dimensions 3072x3072 for the image dimensions for the LR plugin jf Collection Publisher.

I disagree with you there. It's so much easier than setting up any third party app. I've 3 or 4 of these, all with clever ways of synchronising from Dropbox or whatever, and lots of options. Sure, you can get them working, even find ways to publish incrementally. And maybe you'll remember how you did it. But they all involve a lot more setup than LrM - click the badge next to the collection and you're done.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 08:12:46 am »

I disagree with you there. It's so much easier than setting up any third party app. I've 3 or 4 of these, all with clever ways of synchronising from Dropbox or whatever, and lots of options. Sure, you can get them working, even find ways to publish incrementally. And maybe you'll remember how you did it. But they all involve a lot more setup than LrM - click the badge next to the collection and you're done.

Actually this was what I wrote in the last section that if LR was enhanced to do synching the way I described then could be a nice way. It could be done on a collection by collection basis now by I don't like the long linear list of folders. That's also one of the reasons why I don't use the builtin image app on the iPad. The one I mentioned that I use has the speed advantage that it synchs directly over your WiFi and do not upload to a website and therefore much faster. If the synch between the desktop LR and the iPad could be done locally over WiFi it could be equally fast.

I agree that the synching using these 3rd party apps can be less than intuitive for the non IT inclined person.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 08:31:31 am »

I agree that the synching using these 3rd party apps can be less than intuitive for the non IT inclined person.

I guess I count as IT-inclined, Hans, and yet I loathe all these ways of getting pictures to the iPad - if not quite as much as I despise sync methods that involve iTunes.

As for the point about wifi, I agree about the desirability but it wouldn't provide an incentive to sign up for the CC and it would also expose a critical function of the app to user fiddling.

John

Photo Op

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 08:39:31 am »

I'm still not sure what happens after 30 days.....? I have LR 5.4, but will I need Adobe cloud subscription. If so, No Go.

Besides, as mentioned above, for all intents, it doesn't do metadata, except picks. You would think that would have been the easiest feature to include with v1.

I'll stay with Photosmith!
David

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 08:53:06 am »

I guess I count as IT-inclined, Hans, and yet I loathe all these ways of getting pictures to the iPad - if not quite as much as I despise sync methods that involve iTunes.

As for the point about wifi, I agree about the desirability but it wouldn't provide an incentive to sign up for the CC and it would also expose a critical function of the app to user fiddling.

John

Ok, I didn't mean to say you were not IT-inclined  ;D I do agree that several of these 3rd apps including the Lightroom setup is less than elegant.

Since I subscribe to CC i have no problem with that requirement.

Anyway I will try the synching with LRM as it is and see if I like it after some time. The fact that it is automatic counts very high on my list. The speed argument counts less if it is folders than are only changed for a few pictures now and then. I do like that it is possible to see EXIF data and sort pictures various ways which was the main reason I went for PhotoMgrPro. The nesting of folders I hope will come in a future release.

Photo Op

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:16 am »

John

John- do u "know" if with LR 5.4, Adobe now allows 3rd party apps to use the same method to sync with desktop LR as LrM?

Dave B
David

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 09:34:51 am »

John- do u "know" if with LR 5.4, Adobe now allows 3rd party apps to use the same method to sync with desktop LR as LrM?

Dave B

Not the same method, Dave, this is new and separate. 3rd party apps can already sync with LR via the existing plug-in method - so as a Published Service or via http calls as I show in this post Is there an easier way to get text data into Lightroom?.

John

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up