Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Black Magic upgradeable camera.  (Read 1636 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
New Black Magic upgradeable camera.
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:25:51 am »

An interesting new camera from Black Magic and there's this one too.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

bcooter

Re: New Black Magic upgradeable camera.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 03:00:56 pm »

An interesting new camera from Black Magic and there's this one too.

Your right.

What is missed in the pre NAB product announcements is the new blackmagic cameras, especially the cinema style verison, with 4k.

Kind of looks like a mix between an Arri and a RED at $6,995 on down.   I think it comes in EF, PL, C mount with different sensor upgrades.  Most interesting, is the camera without sensor design that you mount a dslr on the front and the camera offers screen, video transcoder to prorezz and in and out functions for sound and display.

There is also a new line of studio cameras, that take 2 to 4k, in mft to c mount.

Now to see if blackmagic gets these to market soon and all the functions work as planned, because that seems to hold them up more than anything.

I don't think they hit a sweat spot at the under $10,000 price level.   To me 10 grand (US) is the limit on base cameras, still and motion.   The industry has compressed production numbers, most production companies, even large episodic are working 1/2 crew, nearly twice the set ups, so cost factors in.

What the blackmagic offers is the ability for a production company to own two kits, gen lock them together, output prorezz or dng on the spot and have the editorial people working as your filming.

With the advent of binge viewing, speed to delivery is important.

I got a question the other day from my relatives.  Usually I get questions like what small camera is good for a trip, or what brand is the best.   Now I get questions of what tv series is the best for binge viewing on Netflix, or amazon, (soon to be added Apple streaming).

So a 6 to 12 show run that takes a year to complete is not becoming the normal viewing habits of the masses, so once again production gets squeezed, in budget and time (which go hand in hand).

Really Blackmagic is on to something just as long as they get product out the door early.

IMO
Pages: [1]   Go Up