Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED lighting for large prints/canvas?  (Read 662 times)

disneytoy

LED lighting for large prints/canvas?
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:21:29 am »

Slightly off topic, but this is the group that would know. I will be producing a series of 8 - 4x5-6 foot framed canvas for display at a charity art event. I can't rely on there being optimal lighting. I was thinking about making my own portable system, w/ LED lights.

I could run some low wattage LEDs from a Lipo battery pack. These pieces will most likely be on easels so regular AC power may not be possible. So, my question is, has anyone worked with LED based light bulbs (like the small Halogen spot lights)?

There are so many out there. I'd like to hear back if you think the output lumens, is enough to light a 4x5' piece?  Is the color of the light acceptable?

I'm thinking of having it mount behind the canvas (battery pack) and have a thin metal tube come over with the bulb facing down the canvas. This may accentuate the canvas texture, an added bonus.

I have a few months to work this out. It will be a big charity event in an impressive mansion. I just don't want to rely on the existing lighting.

Thanks

Max

Paul Roark

Re: LED lighting for large prints/canvas?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:05:38 am »

I have converted both my home and the gallery I manage to LEDs.  The CRI (Color Rendering Index) is not as good as halogens, but it's good enough to make the artists happy, and even my dye-based B&W prints look good.  The savings in electricity (directly and due to less heat and summer a/c expense) is significant.  I wanted the most generic possible.  As such I went with Home Depot tracks and fixtures, and Costco (FEIT) "75 watt equivalent" spots -- not a single failure yet.

At a wilderness workshop I'm involved with they converted to solar panel/battery powered LEDs in the remote log cabin dining room.  The LEDs are even more efficient if there is a direct current source that avoids the ac-dc conversion.  I don't know what the CRIs are for those lights.  Don't go below 80 for photography.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

disneytoy

Re: LED lighting for large prints/canvas?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:31:35 pm »

Thank you. I will check those out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up