Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to locate a "Ceramic" based matte paper?  (Read 1210 times)

disneytoy

Trying to locate a "Ceramic" based matte paper?
« on: April 06, 2014, 08:05:39 pm »

Hello!

I was watching a video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P6HnMu7ANUE#t=1228

(around 20:30)

New Zealand photographer Stu Robertson

He refers in the video to using a "CERAMIC BASED PAPER" "quite magical paper with no sheen on it..."

I've tried googling ceramic paper and didn't come up with much. Just wondering if anyone has come across such a beast?

Thank you

Maxi

Andres Toodo

Re: Trying to locate a "Ceramic" based matte paper?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:44:46 am »

There was Harman Matt FB paper which might be the one you are looking for but this paper is out of production. Unfortunatelly i don't know any alternative.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 03:38:39 am »

Fill in Micro (Ceramic) inkjet coating. Cat litter stuff in a sense. 90% of papers with inkjet coatings today will have some kind of fluid absorbing minerals on top.

There are "papers" made of silicates. Used in the building industry etc but to my knowledge not in the graphic arts. Called Ceramic paper.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

disneytoy

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:12:27 am »

I think you are mixine a clay coated paper with what he refered to a CERAMIC. Clay ids on the old standard Epson Photo Quality Paper., I doubt that is what is being used.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:04:30 am »

I think you are mixine a clay coated paper with what he refered to a CERAMIC. Clay ids on the old standard Epson Photo Quality Paper., I doubt that is what is being used.
[/quote)

Do a search on Micro-Ceramic inkjet paper. Do the same for Micro-Porous or Nano-Porous. Check whether silicate or alumina is mentioned as the mineral. Check what clay is basically. Clays like Kaolin. Check cat litter and whether that is silicate. See what fumed silica is. This kind of absorbents exist in a wide variety of qualities from cat litter to the finest fumed silica. R&D goes on so even better inkjet paper coatings may appear. I made an educated guess on not more than the uttered 'Ceramic' in that video.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

TSJ1927

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 10:41:23 am »

Ceramic coatings were part of Pictorico Papers descriptions.  The following is a quote from Mitsubishi's website:

This is the first of its kind, an inkjet paper just like professional silver halide metallic photo papers. Pictorico’s patented and unique ceramic coating technology gives this metallic paper greater ink absorption which renders superior image reproduction. Colors are more brilliant and stunning, turning even ordinary prints into sought-after works of art.

This may be true or just fancy "coating speak". 

Harmon FB Matt is a paper I'm familiar with.  Bought a lot before it went  the Ilford way.  Its 300gsm, seems thinner than a 300 weight paper,  but it's heavy and one of the smoothest of the matts.  Came in Natural & Bright White.
Pages: [1]   Go Up