Poll

"I am generally satisfied with my Epson LFP."

Yes
- 65 (68.4%)
No
- 30 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll Re: Epson Large Format Printers  (Read 6131 times)

jferrari

Poll Re: Epson Large Format Printers
« on: April 06, 2014, 04:06:10 pm »

In FY2013 Epson shipped 16,577 large format printers worldwide. On LuLa we have mostly heard from those owners that are dissatisfied with their printers. This poll is an opportunity for all Epson LFP owners to voice their opinion. You may vote once for each Epson LFP that you own.
Nothing changes until something changes.

jferrari

Re: Poll Re: Epson Large Format Printers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:06:33 am »

I drove my car to the grocery store today. The trip was successful and uneventful. I passed over train tracks but was not hit by the train. I did not have an accident.

iladi

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:09:01 am »

Vote is NO.

Reasons: every now and then I have to clean, power clean, babysit the Epson. I cannot print very long runs without banding. On the other hand I have printed 4500 square meters in a year with a Canon, with the same print head, without any banding or manual cleanings or any other headache.

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:22:55 am »

Voted no as well for the 3880.

1. Canvas feed is nearly impossible with it the way it is currently made for the feed and roller unit.  Can't believe they missed that one since they describe how to do it, just it is not that easy.  Did the taped leader thing and had to dismantle the unit to get the tape off the inside too so never again with that tactic to feed it.
2. It has also plugged at times with one of the PK or MK blacks if I do not switch between them frequently.
3. Not too crazy about the front feed that will not accept a full 17" width either, but has to be trimmed down on the side to fit it (~16.5").

When it works it's a great printer, but it does have annoying engineering issues.

SG

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 11:45:51 am »

I am generally satisfied that I had sold my Epson LFP a couple of years ago, switched to Canon iPF and never looked back ;D
Farewell nozzle check pattern!
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

hugowolf

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:47:03 pm »

Voted no as well for the 3880.

1. Canvas feed is nearly impossible with it the way it is currently made for the feed and roller unit. 

Can you name any sheet feed printer that does well with canvas?

Brian A

felix5616

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:14:19 pm »

HP Z3200

chez

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 08:22:39 pm »

HP Z3200

Does well with rolls, sucks with sheets.

felix5616

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 06:32:08 am »

There is a learning curve. The more i use sheets the higher my success rate.

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 11:48:27 am »

There is a learning curve. The more i use sheets the higher my success rate.

... of canvas?

Brian A

philbaum

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 02:59:51 pm »

I've been doing canvas feed with the 3880 via the rear slot successfully with no leader strip.

Just push the canvas forward near the center of the tray, NOT on the tray side near the left edge where the opening is.  That doesn't work for me either.  My brother discovered one has to push down the center of the tray.  ODD but it works

best of luck

chez

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 08:43:13 pm »

I maintain over 300 installations nationwide using non-epson inksets. I'm not D-1 or "epson" tech. We modify the machines and sell installations that suite our unique industry.The problem is simple, Environment + Preventative Maintenance. Run the machines or not, most important... maintain your investment no less than you maintain your car. This thread underlies the root cause why so many in this forum are upset about their printer...  Epson, hp, Vutek, etc - when you reach the pro-series... They are designed to be ran like workhorses. Most of all those epson sales are in high production facilities. Trust me or not, the "end user" in wide format printing is not the individual photographer who prints a single photo 2x/month...

If you are that guy, it's a waste of $$ invest in wfp 1-2x prints / month. Sorry. They are simply not designed to do that as it is not the target market for wide format printing of any series or manufacturer. Keep ink flowing through the system, and keep the machines maintained.

Will I get slammed for this post? Half will agree and the other half will not, meh.

Sorry if I'm too clear. I'm not the salesman... I'm just another tech.

That's the rub now ain't it. Epson's are not designed to be used sporadically...but that is how I use my two HP printers without any issues at all. Who would have thunk it huh? My business travel schedule means I need to be away from my home for up to a month at a time...yet my trustworthy HP printers are ready for the task when I return and burn off 20 large prints.

Seems some printers are more capable of handling sporadic printing than others.

MHMG

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 10:13:39 pm »

...If you are that guy, it's a waste of $$ invest in wfp 1-2x prints / month. Sorry. They are simply not designed to do that as it is not the target market for wide format printing of any series or manufacturer. Keep ink flowing through the system, and keep the machines maintained.

Will I get slammed for this post? Half will agree and the other half will not, meh.

No slamming necessary, your's is a widely held assessment that folks with relatively low volume printing requirements should not bother trying to bring their printing projects in house. Yet for myself and I suspect others here on this LULA forum it doesn't take many large prints each month to fully address the in house expenses of capital depreciation, maintenance, and supplies.  How much would it cost me to have a portfolio of fine art prints produced by another capable lab or printmaking studio? Sure, if you are happy with RC poster prints from Costco, then maybe the money doesn't go out the door so fast. But I figure my Canon ipF8300 printer costs me less than $200 per month to be sitting here in my studio doing low volume work. Every so often, Canon practically gives them away for little more than the price of the ink cartridges here in the US.  I couldn't even get one 24x36 print a month on a high end paper like Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl for this kind of monthly expense at any good lab even if I do all the prep work. So, as long as I run a nice portfolio or two of prints each year then having a pro inkjet printer in house at least breaks even for me in terms of costs. As for maintenance, I keep the printer on, run a nozzle check every few days which has never shown any missing lines yet prevents those automatic cleaning cycles which otherwise would waste a lot of ink. Also, I accept that I will lose a head with much lower total ink consumption than production facilities, but it's just factored into the monthly operating expense.  I have replaced two heads over a three year span of time on my 8300, one was under warranty.

All that said, the real reward for me is in the total convenience and control I've got when making my own prints in house. Of course, the expertise required to be doing high end printmaking was hard fought and hard won, and not many photographers have that skill, but if you have it, then owning a wide format inkjet printer for low volume personal use is a no-brainer. Maybe not an Epson :), but one with user replaceable heads and no MK/PK switching penalty, for sure!

iladi

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 12:53:49 am »

I maintain over 300 installations nationwide using non-epson inksets. I'm not D-1 or "epson" tech. My employer puts me on a jet to get the job done fast. We modify the machines and sell installations that suite our unique industry. The problem is simple, Environment + Preventative Maintenance. Run the machines or not, most important... maintain your investment no less than you maintain your car. This thread underlies the root cause why so many in this forum are upset about their printer...  Epson, hp, Vutek, etc - when you reach the pro-series... They are designed to be ran like workhorses. Most of all those epson sales are in high production facilities. Trust me or not, the "end user" in wide format printing is not the individual photographer who prints a single photo 2x/month...

If you are that guy, it's a waste of $$ invest in wfp 1-2x prints / month. Sorry. They are simply not designed to do that as it is not the target market for wide format printing of any series or manufacturer. Keep ink flowing through the system, and keep the machines maintained.

As you can see in my post above I am a heavyweight  printer. I have 5 large format printers. Roland, Mutoh, Epson, Canon. From all of those Epson is the most fragile. It is absolutely no workhorse at all. The ink delivery system is the most complicated I have ever seen and it is not made for heavy coverage long prints. Even when was new my 9700 was unable to print more than 10 square meters without ink starvation. Sorry, not disrespect, but this is my opinion as a everyday user of this printer. I have also tech this printer, change the dampers, ink bay and others so I pretty know this printer outside and inside. For me it is a over engineered printer, way to complicated build, with to many things prone to get broken. Workhorse is a Roland, simple, efficient, 7 years of daily printing just replace the heads and other regulars. I have the Canon for only one year plus, but in this year it has printed like hell, maintenance free, no worry about banding, ink starvation or preventive cleanings.

jferrari

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 11:13:52 pm »

Sorry, not disrespect, but this is my opinion...

That's the entire point of this thread - your experience with your Epson printer may have been negative but that does NOT mean that ALL Epson users are unsuccessful or dissatisfied with their printer. Only the negative incidents appear "newsworthy" but do not necessarily represent the entire collective of Epson LFP operators.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 01:51:46 am »

Only the negative incidents appear "newsworthy" but do not necessarily represent the entire collective of Epson LFP operators.

No... Just about 30% as it seems!  :D

chez

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 06:38:09 am »

No... Just about 30% as it seems!  :D

That is extremely high for a professional product. Sort of confirms all the discussions on nozzle issues with the Epson printers.

hugowolf

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 11:18:07 am »

That is extremely high for a professional product. Sort of confirms all the discussions on nozzle issues with the Epson printers.

Well it would, if the 30% were true. "Seems like 30%", is not the same as actually 30%.

Brian A

iladi

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 12:09:04 pm »

Maybe you print for fun. I print for money. A bad printer means waste of paper, ink, time, loosing customers to competition. Bad for business. This something I cannot afford.

chez

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 03:02:32 pm »

Well it would, if the 30% were true. "Seems like 30%", is not the same as actually 30%.

Brian A

True, I really don't think it is 30%...but it sure seems to be more common than with other printer manufactures. We also read about having to regulate the printer environment with proper humidity control and to print a test print everyday to keep things from plugging up. That to me sounds like a bunch of extra work that is not required for other printers.

That said, I have a 3880 converted to use the Piezography ink system and have zero issues with the printer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:22:02 pm by chez »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up