Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tethered with CamRanger  (Read 5444 times)

wmchauncey

tethered with CamRanger
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:53:38 pm »

I'm gonna buy one of theses gizmos for their tethered shooting wireless ability http://camranger.com/

Now here's the question...I want a new laptop specifically to use with this CamRanger set-up...would I see any benefit in going for a higher resolution laptop/monitor rather than the more normal 1080 p types?

FYI, Still using an aged Canon 1Ds3, any PS CC stuff would still be done on my desktop system.
The things you do for yourself die with

wmchauncey

Re: tethered with CamRanger
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:12:27 pm »

No replies to my query, OK...let's do away with the CamRanger aspect of the equation.
Does the resolution of your laptop/tablet/whatever...have any impact on one's ability to discern scene detail when previewing a tethered shoot? Is a high-res monitor/laptop/tablet better?
The things you do for yourself die with

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:01:57 pm »

With the CamRanger you'll  likely see see more detail and the screen won't be as crowded , but one of the primary reasons I bought an iPad (specifically a 4th  generation with a Retina screen) was to use the CamRanger app which I had already been using with an iPhone 4 and sometimes with a 27" iMac.

Bill Koenig

Here's a link on how to build the same thing for under $50
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 04:05:08 pm »

This is the exact same thing as the CamRanger, and you can set it up your self for under $50.
I put mine together for $42, works great with my Android tablet (Nexus 7) and my Nikon D7000.
This might not be for everyone, but I'm glad I did it as I've heard there are problems (bugs) with CamRanger for Android.

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/01/dirt-cheap-wireless-monitor-hacked-tp-link-mr3040-router-will-help/
Bill Koenig,

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:18:25 am »

I use CR with iPads, including retina and MBPs. It works very well. It is easy to determine accurate focus as are looking at a jpeg (transferring captured RAWs is to time consuming) on a larger screen that you can zoom, but other advantages are:

- Larger screen footprint makes it easier to judge composition, lighting, etc., when tethering RAW into laptop, etc., just not practical
- You have a larger screen (vs camera) that is still smallish and mobile - can setup to your side or low on groudn with you, etc, so can just shift eye(s) over & glance at between sequences w/o chimping camera LCD
- You allow others (especially using CR Share) to see or just or see/rate/comment on images and give you feedback w/o having to show them camera rear if laptop usage not prudent.
- Full camera control from iPad/phone/laptop if desired.
Pages: [1]   Go Up