Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: advice for a new epson printer  (Read 4395 times)

studio347

advice for a new epson printer
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:00:04 pm »

hi,
I need some advice for an Epson printer.
My old epson printer 3800 needs to be replaced.
I need to print my images on 11 by 14 Epson premium glossy photo paper, full bleed.
Can you recommend a good printer for it. Same quality or better than 3800.
I don't want to spend much money for it.
I used to use software for the profile, but is there a good_free profile I can use with the epson paper?
I don't want to spend money for a software and keep updating following new OS...

I don't need to print on bigger papers and I don't need to print on other papers with this printer.
80ml ink seems to be an economic way or is there an alternative way with the same ink quality?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:04:00 pm by studio347 »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: advice for a new epson printer
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:16:47 pm »

Epson 3880 nothing really much better in its class.
OEM profiles for Epsons papers are hard to improve on.
You also can use all but 2 of your 3800 inks in the 3880.
Almost a nobrainer with the rebate.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:19:55 pm by Dan Berg »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 07:27:22 pm »

I think Dan is right. I plan to get a 3880 if and when my 3800 decides to die.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mkihne

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 07:53:58 pm »

Both of my 3880's are energetically shaking their heads(pun intended) "yes".  ;D

studio347

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 10:21:57 pm »

thanks for the reply!
I have some more questions  though. Do I use the photoshop manage colors or printer manage colors in the printing set_up?
I use color managed photoshop and monitors. My final tiffs are either prophoto 16 bit tiff or adobe RGB 16 bit tiff files.
Can I use the old Magenta ink of 3800 instead of Vivid magenta ink in 3880 printer? I want to save the old inks in 3800 printer...
Since I used the profile printing software, I forgot the usual way of doing things...

na goodman

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:23:47 pm »

You cannot use either magentas in the 3880 but you can use the other inks from the 3800. If you are using a specific profile then you would have photoshop manage color, pick your profile for the paper you are using and then make sure you turn color management off in the print driver window.

Some Guy

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 11:47:14 pm »

If all you are doing is 11" widths, why do you need a 17" printer?  Why not a 13" printer like the Canon Pro-1 or Pro-100 which are 13" printers.  Lot less than a 3880, and supposedly the Canon Lucia pigment inks in the Pro-1 (12 different inks) will last far longer than the Epson too.  Five different blacks if you want to try fine art B&W too.

Plus, if the head tanks, you can get another and put it in yourself.

SG

studio347

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 12:29:53 am »

If all you are doing is 11" widths, why do you need a 17" printer?  Why not a 13" printer like the Canon Pro-1 or Pro-100 which are 13" printers.  Lot less than a 3880, and supposedly the Canon Lucia pigment inks in the Pro-1 (12 different inks) will last far longer than the Epson too.  Five different blacks if you want to try fine art B&W too.

Plus, if the head tanks, you can get another and put it in yourself.

SG

an interesting opinion :)
I have used Epson printer for 20 years? including school printers... I think. And I don't want to waste the ink in my 3800...
And I guess since I use epson paper, maybe Epson printer might be a good match... I might be wrong though...
And all my photographer friends use the epson for some reasons... no exceptions...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:56:05 am by studio347 »

studio347

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 01:13:36 am »

The reason why I am trying to get a new printer is that my printer can't print any black ink. It has enough BL ink. I cleaned the printer in all available ways.
So, my guess is that some serious mechanical problem... The printer is maybe 5-6 years old.
Are there any suggestions other than getting new printer?

BrianWJH

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 02:27:51 am »

I cleaned the printer in all available ways.

Hi, what cleaning methods have you used so far?

Brian.

studio347

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 02:53:49 am »

nozzle cleaning and power cleaning_only through printer utility.
I didn't use the windex way.
Ah, I just followed through the paper towel_windex_under the printer heads method and waiting... :)
Are there better ways?
My best guess is... the black ink(PB) nozzle part is 100 % dried and blocked...
Is this correct? Not so sure~
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:57:24 am by studio347 »

BrianWJH

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 03:04:03 am »

Have you tried switching the blacks to see if either black prints anything when doing a nozzle check?

Brian.

studio347

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 12:48:12 pm »

Mat BL is better. Still some serious issues.
I need to replace the maintenance cart. now. So, no more test.
After some research on internet, it might be that the printer is misreading the PK ink capacity... It's empty but the printer thinks it's not.
I need to get a new PK and test with it to make sure.
When a printer is getting old and when it was sitting for a long time without movement, it seems to develop some serious issues... like human body? :)
Also, I understand now that I didn't know much about this printer and the possible issues_ maintenance. There are many thing to learn...maybe too many?

I wonder if it's better to get a new one or try to fix it...
Well, let me try to fix it one more time with a new PK ink and a maintenance Cart. first... since it's not a good practice to discard the whole thing...whenever some issues happen...without trying to correct it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:54:53 pm by studio347 »

Herbc

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 03:15:40 pm »

there is probably a local shop (if you live in a large town) that can work on the 3800.  I had a 2200 years ago that would not respond to any onsite cures, but they cleaned the heads for less than $100.00, probably up to $200 now.

If that works, your printer should last a long time.  My 3800 is going strong, got it right after they came out.

studio347

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 09:19:44 pm »

well... after days of trying to fix my epson 3800, I think I fix the issues. Finally.
I used all the windex cleaning methods and more...

I think the main trick is...
Total control on the purge pad area under the nozzle. ( I used windex, alcohol, Q-tips, paper towels...)
Nozzle check auto.
Understanding that sometimes the printer misread the amount of ink left...
(and when cleaning the purge pad, use the paper towels(make similar shape with..) instead of the maintenance cartridge to save it.)

I cleaned the nozzles, purge pad, after fixing the nozzle issues, and there was one last problem, the purge pad doesn't drain the inks well.
I had to use the isopropyl alcohol after many failed cleaning with windex.
I think it worked even though the alcohol is a bit dangerous to some rubber materials... so, it's not easy to recommend...Use it with caution. I used windex immediately after using the alcohol to prevent long exposure to the alcohol...
( I used the alcohol with a kind of syringe. While using the syringe, I agitate the pad itself to dissolve any dried inks underneath... It's my guess though...)

I think the printer was carelessly left for months and the nozzle and purge pad area was very dried...

After spending many hours, ink( more than 200$), printing papers, paper towels, windex... I think still it's worthwhile. And a good lesson.
~a movie worthy trial, "saving my 3800"~
Thanks all.

PS_and it might be a good practice to set up and follow some protocols when using the printer and not using the printer for better printing condition such as moisture and dust and purge pad control....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:02:43 pm by studio347 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up