Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Landscape  (Read 1486 times)

seamus finn

Not Landscape
« on: April 05, 2014, 03:03:33 pm »

Landscapes are lovely and I adore them, but a peep into the 'human condition' teaches us something about ourselves. It may be 'street' or journalism or whatever, but there's not enough of this kind of stuff on this respected site.

These pics were taken in Prague. The numbers of Jews buried in this cemetery are uncertain, because there are layers of tombs, approximately  12,000 visible, and there may be as many as 100,000 burials in all. Look it up.

As for the other picture, it's not a composite - it's a free citizen looking at the Parliament against a depiction  of Soviet tanks suppressing  the uprising.  Does anybody remember that?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:47:35 pm by seamus finn »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Not Landscape
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:34:49 pm »

Hear, hear, Seamus. But street and serious documentary are difficult while cars and tourist snapshots of local attractions are easy. But boy can we ever get some technically excellent shots of cars and local attractions, and it gives us a chance to discuss equipment and post-processing, which is easier to understand than the contents of street and serious documentary.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

StoneNYC

• StoneNYC
    • Stone NYC Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 03:43:20 pm »

Wow, where is that graveyard?
~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 03:54:05 pm »

Sorry, I got some replies while I was re-rewriting my response so my last retort may be out of date.

seamus finn

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 04:08:37 pm »

Hear, hear, Seamus. But street and serious documentary are difficult while cars and tourist snapshots of local attractions are easy. But boy can we ever get some technically excellent shots of cars and local attractions, and it gives us a chance to discuss equipment and post-processing, which is easier to understand than the contents of street and serious documentary.

I know what you're saying, Russ - tourist shots are easy and tantalising. The only reason I started this discussion is in the hope of discovering some hot-shot true street talent.

RSL

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 04:11:58 pm »

Then we'll both keep our fingers crossed. At the moment it doesn't look encouraging, but maybe that'll change.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 04:12:48 pm »

... Soviet tanks suppressing  the uprising.  Does anybody remember that?

It might ring a bell with one or two Ukrainians, I imagine.

Jeremy

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 04:22:25 pm »

I know what you're saying, Russ - tourist shots are easy and tantalising. The only reason I started this discussion is in the hope of discovering some hot-shot true street talent.

I'm still waiting to see some here too. My guess is that it may never happen.

Later,
JJ

seamus finn

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 04:53:23 pm »

You're probably right, and if true street talent presented itself here, would we recognise it?

I'm looking for somebody with the guts to put a camera into the world and take a picture in an ordinary place and make that world extraordinary.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 07:22:45 pm »

I love good street photography, but to me it seems awfully much more difficult than landscapes or abstracts. Here on LuLa I think the most reliably excellent street photographers are (not necessarily in this order) Seamus, Russ, and -- oh, yes -- Michael.

Maybe you and Russ feel lonely here, Seamus, but I suspect you've got a pretty big fan club.

These two shots are both very visceral and emotional to me. Like your recent piano shot, the cemetery is filled with the presence of humanity, even though no actual live person is in either photo. Bravo!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 07:48:44 pm »

I'm off in the morning for the east coast of Florida. A couple days around Jacksonville and then three in St. Augustine. My fingers are crossed and my cameras are ready. Knowing what the ratio of keepers to dumpers is on the street if you understand the difference I don't have high hopes, but at least I have hopes.

cjogo

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 10:41:34 pm »

I have worked that cemetery  -- a few different times ... When I first arrived in Praha 1990-- they still had wreaths of flowers for the fallen in the Square.    
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:45:04 pm by cjogo »

seamus finn

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 07:56:09 am »

Sorry to revive the topic but I've been away from my computer for a few days and am only now catching up.

I love good street photography, but to me it seems awfully much more difficult than landscapes or abstracts. Here on LuLa I think the most reliably excellent street photographers are (not necessarily in this order) Seamus, Russ, and -- oh, yes -- Michael.

Eric, that's a wonderful compliment - I am truly flattered.

I'm off in the morning for the east coast of Florida. A couple days around Jacksonville and then three in St. Augustine. My fingers are crossed and my cameras are ready. Knowing what the ratio of keepers to dumpers is on the street if you understand the difference I don't have high hopes, but at least I have hopes.

Russ, bring back some good ones.

seamus finn

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 07:58:16 am »

I have worked that cemetery  -- a few different times ... When I first arrived in Praha 1990-- they still had wreaths of flowers for the fallen in the Square. 

cjogo,

I think this might be the view from the other side of the window:

Pages: [1]   Go Up