Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: bought my first MF Camera... the IQ250  (Read 5035 times)

photosultan

bought my first MF Camera... the IQ250
« on: April 04, 2014, 02:41:32 pm »

i am really excited about it. So far i got the grip, the 80mm and the 240mm (I shoot full body and head shots). debating something wider but I am pretty broke after this investment. couple of extra batteries too. Anything else that I must have?

MrSmith

Re: bought my first MF Camera... the IQ250
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 03:33:27 pm »

An income stream?

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:33:44 pm »

A heavier tripod & head?

Enjoy the new toy!
t: @PNWMF

photosultan

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:08:00 am »

yeah that is what might be looking at... any recommendation?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:53:45 am »

An income stream?

Oh come on, this is photography we are talking about!

:D

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:48:02 am »

Carbon Fiber Gitzo or RRS tripods.

Consider the Arca Swiss Cube, D4, RRS BH55---just about any higher end head will work if it suits your personal needs/preferences.

Congrats on the IQ250!

ken

photosultan

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 12:19:20 pm »

thank you.. and the costs keep going up. Sounds like i don't need the lithium battery (the one that looks like a U) because the grip requires the same battery as the back.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 07:09:25 pm »

You will be using the back on the phase camera or on a technical camera?

Cheers,
Bernard

RobertJ

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 07:51:33 am »

Yeah, get an Arca Swiss 6x9 Monolith or tech camera with digital lenses.  You can focus on the rear LCD.  A dream come true.

P.S.
I really hope you're not almost broke after buying a digital back!  If you are, then get your money back, it's not worth it.  Just kidding, or maybe.... :)

Ken Doo

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 10:28:41 am »

I'd also look at the Phase 150D or 150LS, and the 110mm LS (might as well since we're spending your money).

:)  ken

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 10:31:50 am »

Yeah, get an Arca Swiss 6x9 Monolith or tech camera with digital lenses.  You can focus on the rear LCD.  A dream come true.

P.S.
I really hope you're not almost broke after buying a digital back!  If you are, then get your money back, it's not worth it.  Just kidding, or maybe.... :)

Tech camera usage is still not really totally decided as if you use wides there are some issues. Can you live with a 1.3 crop, along with effectively reduced total image circle on several Rodenstock wides, i.e. 40mm 32mm.  Still not sure if it works at all with the Schneider 60mm, as first published testing did not seem very positive on shifts.  Seems to work fine on most lenses on center remembering the 1.3 crop (which is pretty substantial).

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

MrSmith

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 11:05:23 am »

have you done an unboxing video and posted some pics on instagram?

Ken R

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 01:20:54 pm »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 01:28:49 pm »

have you done an unboxing video and posted some pics on instagram?

'snot fair, I get told off when I get that cynical!

:D

photosultan

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 08:03:54 am »

Thanks for all the input. no I am not broke (yet).... I shot for the first time with it professionally and I actually liked the workflow... i know I was warned I might hate it. Tethering worked like a charm (with the Nikon D800E to Lightroom - it was hit or miss... something when the camera went to sleep it wouldn't find it, etc). Capture Pilot to the iPad was a dream (I have a Mini - first generation...I wonder if I should upgrade to a retina one, faster zooming, processing? i have a ton of Best Buy Gift Cards), the stylist/customer had it, she would see immediate preview, rated them, etc... I also took like 70% less pictures. Usually i shoot about 400 pics for a shoot, i took only 60.

The 80 was used 90% of the time. I switched to the 240 for head shots and it was a pain in the ass. maybe i made a mistake and should have gotten the 150. For studio work the 80 (which is about 65mm on my Nikon) is nearly perfect for one model full shots. I am worried next week as I have a group shoot and its too long. any thoughts on my next purchase for lenses? either the 150mm or maybe the 35mm?

I will look at the Arca stuff next. also is a release cable overkill? i was using my iPhone to trigger it sometimes. worked well. But I think there is a limit on how many capture pilots apps connect to the back?

photosultan

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 08:08:56 am »

Ken R

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 09:10:12 am »

Thanks for all the input. no I am not broke (yet).... I shot for the first time with it professionally and I actually liked the workflow... i know I was warned I might hate it. Tethering worked like a charm (with the Nikon D800E to Lightroom - it was hit or miss... something when the camera went to sleep it wouldn't find it, etc). Capture Pilot to the iPad was a dream (I have a Mini - first generation...I wonder if I should upgrade to a retina one, faster zooming, processing? i have a ton of Best Buy Gift Cards), the stylist/customer had it, she would see immediate preview, rated them, etc... I also took like 70% less pictures. Usually i shoot about 400 pics for a shoot, i took only 60.

The 80 was used 90% of the time. I switched to the 240 for head shots and it was a pain in the ass. maybe i made a mistake and should have gotten the 150. For studio work the 80 (which is about 65mm on my Nikon) is nearly perfect for one model full shots. I am worried next week as I have a group shoot and its too long. any thoughts on my next purchase for lenses? either the 150mm or maybe the 35mm?

I will look at the Arca stuff next. also is a release cable overkill? i was using my iPhone to trigger it sometimes. worked well. But I think there is a limit on how many capture pilots apps connect to the back?

For headshots I would suggest the 110mm f2.8 LS. The 240mm is WAY too long even with a larger sensor back like the 60/80mp Phase. With the IQ250 it is even longer! The 75-150mm is also a nice alternative for studio although it is a larger and heavier lens but very versatile.

photosultan

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 09:13:09 am »

you say its too long because of the distortion or because of the physical distance to the model. I like to be about 10 feet away. although that is changing too. on 35mm i shoot all my head shots with either the zeiss 135mm or the nikon 200

Ken Doo

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 10:57:33 am »

I'd go for the 150D/150LS.

photosultan

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 08:55:51 am »

Found a trade for my D800E body with Grip and batteries for the Mamiya 35, 120 Manual Macro, and 150. thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up