Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5.3, trouble with prints not printing on full sheet?  (Read 3059 times)

disneytoy

LR 5.3, trouble with prints not printing on full sheet?
« on: April 02, 2014, 01:28:50 am »

This is on my Uncle's MAC w/ LR 5.3. I run Win7 so I can't reproduce this.

Example.

I'm printing a single 4x6, I have a template that stores the printer settings, color management, paper type, as well as LR print module preferences. Prints great!

Now if I go to page set-up, (not always) and change to a larger page size say 11x14. The LR preview properly displays the page size. I have rulers open and it shows 11x17. I then enlarge the image to fit.

Now printing on an Epson 3880, Only about 1/4th the images prints. Now thats not a reduced size, the scale is correct for a 11x14, but only the top left quarter (not exactly a perfect quarter) of the page prints.

I've double checked all the settings. Under PAGE SET-UP, PRINTER SETTINGS (including advanced settings, All the LR PRINTING Module settings are correct for a 11x14".

Any thoughts how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Max

Mac Mahon

Re: LR 5.3, trouble with prints not printing on full sheet?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 03:33:12 am »

This has happened to me a couple of times.  Each time, I found that when I checked the info. in the printer driver, under 'paper handling', I found the 'destination paper size' still pointed to the smaller paper size. 

IOW the manual change to page setup was overridden by the page setup in the template for the earlier small sized image.

I suggest creating a whole new template with your 11x17 page size and the other settings you want.

Cheers

Tim

pflower

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 06:03:49 am »

Is the larger paper size one that your uncle has manually set up?  I had this problem some years ago on a 3800 printing out of Photoshop and discovered that the problem was that there was a mismatch between the measurement units used to set up the paper size and the default system measurement units.  For some reason I had set up the paper size in inches but my system had been set to metric units.  This apparently was a Mac system problem and not an Epson driver problem.  The solution was to make sure that the system measurement units (now found in System Preferences/Language and Text/Formats are the same as the paper size (i.e in US if in inches or metric if in cms.).

Mind you this was at least 3 or 4 years ago and there have been numerous OS upgrades since then, but it might be worth just checking. 

The other thing about your post is that you say that if you go to a larger paper size - 11x14 LR shows 11x17 - if that is correct then something is wrong there but again this might just be a typo.

Good luck

disneytoy

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:32:58 am »

Two problems.

1) Lightroom properly shows the 11x17" size. The rulers indicate the correct units. I have to scale up the cell size from the 4x6 to 11x17 to fill the frame, so the scaling is appropriate.

2) I can't see how I'd make a new template without it being based on the currently selected template - i.e. 4x6. I do save out a template to save my color management/printer/paper settings (the main reason I prefer printing LR rather than PS).

Again, I'm on a PC so haven't replicated my Uncle's Mac LR bug. So, I'm just trying to help him out. It sucks when you get everything perfect and ruin a perfect piece of 17 x 22 Canvas.

I don't think their is a print preview? On the PC I could print to a PDF first and see what happens, not sure how that works on Mac.

Thanks

Max

Mac Mahon

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 05:12:44 pm »

I have to scale up the cell size from the 4x6 to 11x17 to fill the frame, so the scaling is appropriate.

This is suspicious.  I think my original suggestion is apt.

2) I can't see how I'd make a new template without it being based on the currently selected template - i.e. 4x6. I do save out a template to save my color management/printer/paper settings (the main reason I prefer printing LR rather than PS).

1   Start with your original 4x6 template that will bring in appropriate media and colour management settings.
2  Now go to Page Setup, and choose your new paper size, then
3  go to the main (top of window) Print menu and select 'new template'.  Give it a name and save.

Tim

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 06:10:13 pm »

Now printing on an Epson 3880, Only about 1/4th the images prints. Now thats not a reduced size, the scale is correct for a 11x14, but only the top left quarter (not exactly a perfect quarter) of the page prints.

Did you create a custom paper size or choose one from the epson available sizes? The most common cause of what you describe is when creating a custom paper size, the width and height are transposed.  In the custom paper size box, the width is how wide the paper is being placed in the printer, not how wide the print is.

disneytoy

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 03:07:51 am »

I understand. But LR previews with rulers an 11x17" sheet. But I don't get what I see on screen, on the paper.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:58:40 pm »

maybe some screen shots of your printer and paper setup and your LR settings would help.

aross007

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 11:40:04 pm »

May not be related to the OP's problem, but I had a similar symptom recently.  Printing from a Mac to an epson 4000, I changed the paper roll to a roll of Ilford GFS.  the new roll is 17" wide, I had been using a roll of Epson Luster that is 16" wide.  Tried to make a print sized to 17"x22".  Got 1/4 of the print - roughly 9x11.  Went back to 16x20, got a good print.  Don't know where the disconnect is, but if it is a problem with the Mac printer drivers........

anyway, thought the data might add to the discussion,
Alan

Pages: [1]   Go Up