Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems Using StudioPrint RIP with Museo Silver Rag on Epson 9890  (Read 5859 times)

dlier

Hello All. New to the forum. I hope someone out there has run into this rather unique problem and has a solution.

I am trying to build an environment for Museo Silver Rag on StudioPrint RIP. When I go to print the test patches to build a profile with GPS certain patches come out looking spotty (almost like enlarged grain or like little pools of ink). I have the feeling that this is due to ink limits, which seems to be confirmed by the fact that I can get the spottiness to go away by bringing the total ink limit down to %150. When I do this, however, the image quality suffers greatly and certain colors become un-reproducable.

This problem seems to be particular to the combination of paper, RIP software and printer, as I can make good RGB profiles with iProfiler for silver rag on the 9890, can make good profiles with StudioPrint for other papers on the 9890, and have made good profiles with StudioPrint for Silver rag on other printers.

I have included a scan of the problem patches. Notice A21 B14 B19 C12 in particular (others show problem to a lesser extent).

I am out of options. Anyone else experience this kind of problem? Any Solutions? HELP! Thanks in advance.

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
Re: Problems Using StudioPrint RIP with Museo Silver Rag on Epson 9890
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:45:07 pm »

There is a Google group for StudioPrint. You might get an answer there.

Kumar

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:36:24 pm »

Many profilers build patches with ink combinations that print badly but will never later occur in rgb to cmyk(xx) conversions. GPS does this too. If you look at the ink mixes in those problem patches you will often see stuff like high percentages of inks that will never combine to make a real color due to GCR and other factors. As long as patches haven't bled too much to read, go ahead with them. I found with cmyk or n channel, giving the profiler too much ink is way better than too little. After the fact, if rgb colors convert to ink combos with no problems with your new profile you're good. This usually requires making some small test profiles to find best limits, individual and total, including light inks, and GCR settings.

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 01:01:26 pm »

I've seen grainy color patches before and mine were from one plugged nozzle on a certain color.  With one certain brown color in the four page i1 PhotoPro 2 charts I could also see a faint line too which was more indicative of a nozzle messing up.  This was with a Canon though which I ordered a new head and it went away.  Cleaning it didn't seem to help at all, and may have been just a shot nozzle for that one color.

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up