Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera sound blimp  (Read 9688 times)

Chris L

Re: Camera sound blimp
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 12:51:37 pm »

+1 for Jacobson Blimps. I use them on film sets regularly. Even in a small room with dialog from the actors the blimp / camera goes un-detected from the Audio Engineers I work with. Trust me, they would let me know if they heard it. I use mine with canon DSLRs and Contax 645's and the cable for Autofocus works great as well. I shoot with aqua tech water housings for other projects and can tell you easily that I prefer the ergonomics of the sound blimp. BTW, I can get sharp photos at 1/30 second without monopod in most cases.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 03:34:26 pm »

camera goes un-detected from the Audio Engineers I work with. Trust me, they would let me know if they heard it.
True, but they're using directional mics and are only interested in the sound of the actors/action and they know what ambient noises will be lost when the project is dubbed. Set photographers are always a fair distance from the mic beside or behind the shooting camera, on the wrong side of the mic's sensitivity.

If you just want a camera no one will hear, even those standing right beside you, the Jacobson one might still allow too much sound out by default.

The quietest system I've worked beside is 5Diii in quiet mode inside a Jacobson, a D800 inside is still audible.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 08:17:53 pm »

Here's a trick that I've used successfully where the camera can be on a tripod, and the field of view doesn't need to change often. Start with a SLR that has a leaf shutter. I use the H2D-39. Line up the shot and focus. When the mirror noise doesn't matter, like during applause at a concert, release the mirror. Then take as many pictures as you want with the mirror raised. The leaf shutter is pretty darned quiet if the mirror's not moving. When you want to reframe or refocus, wait for a moment when noise doesn't matter, and lower the mirror.

Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

Jim

StoneNYC

• StoneNYC
    • Stone NYC Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 09:03:46 pm »

I've been toying with the idea of suggesting this for fun...

Buy a Mamiya 7 II and start shooting film ;)
~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 12:02:25 pm »

I already have a Nikon V2 that is 100% silent like in zero noise whatsoever, but the image quality is not at the right level for the application I am considering.

V2 + stitch.  :)
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 07:04:23 pm »

V2 + stitch.  :)

Yep, I've done that with the 32mm f1.2, it works well but doesn't apply to this particular project.

Cheers,
Bernard

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 07:28:27 pm »

I have made a pretty good blimp from a Peli case and some 100mm drainpipe for the lens barrels covering a 70-200 and a 24-70 for the D3/4 and D700/800.  I have some pics which I will get to you as soon as I'm back in the office.  I can shoot using a standard Nikon cable release with the main drawbacks being auto exposure and the focus method you set when you snap it shut.  The drainpipes are a good solution as you can get specific joints that make it quite modular, slotting the different tubes on is easy.  I bought some cheapish 110mm ND filters to put on the tops of the tubes and some perspex at the back for the eyepiece and screen.  I had to do a job in a very quiet theatre when a show was in progress, and made enquiries about aqua tech and jacobsen with my local suppliers.  It was looking like it would have been over a month before they got the aqua tech in and the cost was getting steep with all of the bits you need.  I made the peli case version in an afternoon and have shot in the middle of an orchestra recording as well as various live shows since. I did get a bit frustrated at the amount of shots that didn't work out the last time I used it (need to shade those cheap ND filters) so tried the XE2.  You can hear the shutter but for some jobs it is a good compromise between lens quality (sensor is great) and freedom of movement.  Have you looked at Fatboy (I think) sound blimps?  They look really nice.

Lightsmith

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 07:13:19 pm »

I would put the $2500 into a mirrorless camera and a couple of lenses instead of a blimp housing and a couple of lens tubes unless you are going to be doing this full time. Even the 4/3 mirrorless cameras provide very good IQ at ISO 6400 and they are dead quiet without a housing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up