Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recomendation needed, De noise and sharening software  (Read 5312 times)

huguito

Recomendation needed, De noise and sharening software
« on: March 31, 2014, 01:33:22 pm »

Any recommendation for good and not too expensive sharpening and noise removal software?

I run Windows 7 and 8, and I do my edits with Photoshop CC, Camera Raw and Bridge. 

Thanks

Hugo

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Recomendation needed, De noise and sharening software
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 02:05:28 pm »

What's your camera / problem ISO? I ask because a lot of people handle all high ISO noise in the raw converter, ACR in your case. What's making you want something more?

Noiseware would be my favourite, but I use it much, much less than in the past.

John

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:05:51 pm »

I am shooting with a Canon 5DIII, and find that with well-focused and reasonably well-exposed images (in RAW, with the Expose-To-The-Right paradigm) I can shoot at up to ISO 12,500 and use the ACR/Lightroom noise reduction and sharpening with very satisfactory results without noticeable noise or loss of detail on prints.

For problem images I use Topaz Labs DeNoise, which has a comparatively steep learning curve, but the results are well worth the effort.  Topaz has several video tutorials that I consider mandatory to understanding the way to use DeNoise.

For other than capture sharpening, I use Focus Magic, a deconvolution program, with different radii and amounts on layers and paint in the effects I want.  I print from Qimage, which has excellent "smart sharpening," for my output sharpening.

huguito

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:29:04 pm »

Hi John
I use a Canon 20D for underwater shots and a 1Ds for the rest.
Neither camera does very good past the 400 ISO

Seems like in some cases, if I had to go to high on the noise correction in ACR, the image turns a bit too soft

I would like to see if the noise problem can be addressed with something a bit more efficient.

Hugo

sniper

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 05:56:43 pm »

My tools of choice are Noiseware pro for the noise issues and PK sharpener for sharpening.  That said with the noise reduction and sharpening in CS6 I don't use the other programs very often now.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:01:44 am »

I have used PS and LR, as well as NIK Dfine for noise reduction, and Topaz DeNoise (noise reduction) and Detail (sharpening).
I really like Topaz products. They all work well in reducing the noise, but Topaz DeNoise retains the fine details and edges better than the other two.

For more information and examples, you can read related article on my blogsite:
http://advantica.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/topaz-denoise-5-50-sale-until-march-31-2014/

There are more Topaz reviews including a discount code on my blogsite:
http://www.advantica.wordpress.com

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:21:33 am by LesPalenik »

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 09:25:26 am »

I liked NeatImage back when I was using my 20D, but I'd use DxO Optics Pro now if I wanted to handle high ISO shots. Lightroom 5 is pretty good, but I can squeeze just a bit more out of problem images with DxO.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 11:22:51 am »

Noise:  II still have very good results from Neat Image 64 bit plugin. Recently I am starting to try Topaz Denoise for some images. I will always attempt to get as much as I can from the noise reduction in LR or C1 during the raw conversion.

Sharpening:  During raw conversion sharpening tools with C1 and LR.  Recently I have stared to use Focus Magic more post raw conversion excellent tool. I also find that the Photokit suite helps out on certain images, especially the creative sharpening tool kit.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 12:32:47 pm »

Noise:  II still have very good results from Neat Image 64 bit plugin. Recently I am starting to try Topaz Denoise for some images.

Hi Paul,

I also switch between NeatImage (making a camera profile for the different ISOs helps a lot) and Topaz Labs DeNoise (the banding suppression may be helpful, and natural detail preservation is usually amongst the best).

DxOs newest algorithm is supposed to be very good, but it's a bit overkill to get that just for the noise reduction. There are some other drawbacks to that software (e.g. output is limited to Adobe RGB gamut). I gravitate towards Denoise for digital captures most of the time.

Sharpening:  During raw conversion sharpening tools with C1 and LR.  Recently I have stared to use Focus Magic more post raw conversion excellent tool. I also find that the Photokit suite helps out on certain images, especially the creative sharpening tool kit.

FocusMagic and Topaz Labs Detail are my tools of choice for sharpening. Both are amazing in the positive things they can do to the image.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

huguito

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »

What do you do first?

ACR sharpening-ACR noise-output sharpening is the order I use

Anyone else having good and consistent result doing it in a different order?

Hugo

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 10:38:32 am »

I always do noise reduction before any sharpening when I'm working through Photoshop. But, if you're using something like Lightroom, the s/w handles the order of processing operations on its own when you go to output.

Some Guy

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 12:51:29 pm »

Might pay to watch some of the Topaz archived webinars, or sign up for an upcoming one here: http://blog.topazlabs.com/webinars/

DxO 9 is supposedly very good with their Prime 2 Noise engine, but it is really slow (Up to 2 minutes per image!) but it very intensive too.  Doesn't print at all to my Epson printers though (Bad bug they haven't addressed with Epson stuff in 2-3 years!) so I have to save it as a TIFF and use another print software.

SG

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 03:46:50 pm »

RawTherapee (free, open source cross platform raw converted) has excellent set of sharpening tools (see Richardson Lucy, USM and Contrast by detail levels) and state of the art denoising for raw and TIF/jpg image formats.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 07:02:59 pm »

Hugo,

it just happens, that this month, Topaz Labs runs a 50% off promotion for their Topaz Detail sharpening plugin.
In contrast to the global sharpening in PS or LR, this program allows you to specify different amount of sharpening on multiple detail levels with the addition of local contrast.
I find it especially useful for the creative sharpening phase in landscape or macro images.

Main features and benefits:

* Better control over image detail. Detail uses size-based processing that lets you independently adjust small, medium, and large details.
 * More natural images. The technology in Detail substantially reduces the halos and artifacts you get from over-sharpening.
 * More volume and three-dimensionality. Detail can enhance larger image features to increase the perceived "depth" of your photo.

The special price is only $19.99 instead of regular $39.99 which is a great deal for this plugin. The current promotion runs from Apr 10 to Apr 30, 2014.

For more information, to see some Before/After sample images, or to buy it at the reduced rate, use the link below:
Topaz Detail
and at check-out, enter "aprdetail" as the 50% discount code

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:57:46 am by LesPalenik »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 07:05:12 pm »

Another vote for Noiseware. Haven't used it in ages however (I do this from raw processing).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 03:38:09 am »

it just happens, that this month, Topaz Labs runs a 50% off promotion for their Topaz Detail sharpening plugin.

Indeed, and in addition they also host a number of free Webinars on the use of "Detail" this month. That will help in getting the most out of the trial period for new users. They usually also give away a free license to one of the subscribers to the webinar.

"Detail" makes for a great creative/output sharpening workflow, with lots of control and no halo artifacts when used normally. Also their "Intellicolor" technology prevents color shifts when changing brightness, so its use is worry free which boosts creative use without technical distractions. The real time screen updates also invite creative tweaking for perfecting the impact of our images.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 08:59:03 am »

I just posted a short review of Topaz Detail with some examples on my blogsite:

http://advantica.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/topaz-detail-3/

artobest

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 07:31:23 am »

Neat Image is still the most sophisticated denoise program I know. I like the way you can target (or exlude) noise in different frequency bands. This is very useful for eliminating low-level grain without losing local contrast. I also like the three-band output sharpening included, which sounds a little like the one in the Topaz sharpening plug-in - the top band is effectively local-contrast enhancement.

I own and still use Photokit Sharpener, especially for pre-print sharpening. But for general sharpening, I find the new, improved Smart Sharpen in PS CC to be good enough for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up