Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The unbearable sharpness of crop frame  (Read 3897 times)

BJL

NR: correlated double sampling and such vs "smearing NR"
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 11:02:50 am »

My friends tell me that CMOS implies noise reduction
That sound like a confounding of the type of noise reduction at each individual pixel (correlated double sampling or whatever) with the NR post-processing that involves spatial averaging and leads to some smearing of detail.  Nothing in the modern active pixel CMOS approach inherently involves the "smearing" type of NR, and indeed the lower noise levels make such smearing NR less needed than with CCD sensors.

8x10 user

Re: The unbearable sharpness of crop frame
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 02:13:22 pm »

I just took these test shot from my new sinar 54h

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: NR: correlated double sampling and such vs "smearing NR"
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 03:38:36 pm »

That sound like a confounding of the type of noise reduction at each individual pixel (correlated double sampling or whatever) with the NR post-processing that involves spatial averaging and leads to some smearing of detail.  Nothing in the modern active pixel CMOS approach inherently involves the "smearing" type of NR, and indeed the lower noise levels make such smearing NR less needed than with CCD sensors.

Actually, we don't know, do we? or maybe you do but I don't, I can only listen to my friends in the business.
But I will know with certainty in a few months when I start working with my own design's real raw sensor data.
If you have real raws (before firmware) please show them. Otherwise we will postpone the discussion.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up