Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Battery Power for a 2008 Macbook Pro  (Read 5892 times)

Marce1o

• Marcelo Benfield
Portable Battery Power for a 2008 Macbook Pro
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:56:11 am »

I am looking for a battery power solution for my MacBook Pro 2008 for location work.
In the past I used to have a cable that connected my PowerBook 12" to a Quantum Turbo Battery and another cable made by DigitalCameraBattery to connect to their battery. Both solutions seemed to run all day. Unfortunately, DCB no longer trades nor exists and I cannot source a Quantum cable with a Magsafe connector on the other end.
Original new batteries for these laptops are awful, so looking for a better and longer lasting solution here.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:58:02 am by Marce1o »

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Portable Battery Power for a 2008 Macbook Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »

Joe Blackwood

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:14:26 am »

Another option here:  HyperJuice External Battery for Apple MacBook, iPad, iPhone, USB Devices

The HyperJuice 1.5 External Battery for Apple MacBook, iPad, iPhone, USB Devices is available in 4 different capacities and the additional hours of battery power for each capacity is on this page.

The 100Wh battery in the HyperJuice 2 External Battery should extend the battery of a MacBook by up to 24 hrs.  

Any cable with a Magsafe connector on the end is going to be expensive because the cable with the Magsafe connector has to come from an actual Apple power supply and cable.  They sell the HyperJuice Magic Box - MagSafe Modification Kit to modify your existing Apple MagSafe Power Adapter (Note: It is compatible with MagSafe 2 Power Adapter) to use with HyperMac/HyperJuice External MacBook Batteries.

You might be familiar with their HyperDrive ColorSpace portable Memory Card Backup Device.  It is a popular backup device for travel.

I have purchased several items from Sanho or hypershop.com and I have been pleased with what I purchased.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:55:46 am by Joe Blackwood »

elolaugesen

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:37:25 pm »

If you have the early 2008 macbook pro watch money spent as it may????? Be part of the nvidia horror show causing machine to die...  Mine went 18 months ago...look at blogs about this issue first the screen goes then the mother board...  https://discussions.apple.com/message/17375478#17375478
Mine died....saw it coming bought a new mac mini and as I was copying files it slowly died.......  I then went to my backup system to restore rest of data.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:01:09 pm by elolaugesen »

Marce1o

• Marcelo Benfield
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 03:08:21 am »

Ellis: The people at Paul C Buff wrote me a very detailed email as to why they don't ship internationally, so unfortunately, this option is out. They seem to be a very caring company towards their customers.
Quote:
Hey Marcelo,

Thanks for your interest in our products!  However we do not ship our products internationally, nor do we take international credit cards as a form of payment.

Paul C. Buff, Inc. is an American manufacturer. We are unusual in that we sell our products only factory-direct. Because of this we are able to offer our products to American customers at prices from 40 to 60% lower than other manufacturers for comparable quality products because of eliminating the normal discounts given to distributors and dealers.

We try hard to maintain extremely friendly customer service and inexpensive, expert repair service within our facility. We provide absolute 60-day satisfaction guarantees, intensive sales assistance and technical support. Because of this, we are without question America's dominant and most respected supplier of professional photographic lighting equipment.

While we would love to extend these advantages to International Customers, there are many factors that simply don't allow us to do that effectively, so we must, in good conscience, recommend that International customers give strong consideration toward purchasing equipment manufactured and sold within their own continents when possible. The reasons are as follows:

Because our pricing does not allow for costs of dealer and distributor markups, we would have to raise our prices approximately 50% to allow for these costs. Since about 95% of our sales are made in North America, that would badly damage our 30+ year old company.

The biggest deterrent is our inability to provide adequate repair support. Those located internationally who do purchase our gear by using a forwarding company or having a friend purchase for them, must understand the cost they will incur if an item ever needs to be serviced.  While we do offer generous factory warranty and inexpensive service beyond warranty periods, items for repair must be shipped to us at the customer's cost.  We cannot possibly maintain repair centers across the world, nor is Ocean Shipping an option for direct sales.  Those located internationally who choose to send something back to us for service must supply a return shipping address here in the USA because once an item has been serviced we will not be able to return the item back to their international address, this leads to justifiably dissatisfied customers.

So, while we truly value and respect customers from all countries, it is often a lose-lose proposition for all parties and international customers can end up not getting good value or service for their money and effort.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or if you need anything else!

Thanks,
Angela
Customer Service
Paul C. Buff, Inc
Nashville, Tn
www.paulcbuff.com
800-443-5542
615-383-0676 Fax
info@paulcbuff.com

I'm talking to a friend of mine who's good with electronics about the feasibility of building a cable for my Quantum Turbo batteries, of which I have two. Voltage laptop consumption is slightly different (24v PB12 and 18.5v MacBook Pro 08) but this can be worked around via the pins at the Quantum end.
Considering using one of this:

Kind regards.

Marce1o

• Marcelo Benfield
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:16:38 am »

Joe: Hyperjuice is a good option but expensive though. Since I already own two Quantum Turbo batteries, I'll first explore the possibility of building a cable as explained earlier.
elolaugesen: Luckily Apple fixed my screen for free, as it was a well documented issue. It's now been good for a couple of years. Thanks for the advice...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 11:50:29 am »

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up