Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Epson 3800 - Colour Settings Disabled  (Read 5899 times)

pflower

Problem with Epson 3800 - Colour Settings Disabled
« on: March 29, 2014, 04:14:04 pm »

I am printing, as I have done for years, from a Mac (now running 10.8.5) to an Epson 3800.  I print out of Lightroom 4 and normal workflow is to choose the correct paper profile within Lightroom, press print and then go to the Epson print dialog where I choose the correct paper type, turn off color management, select 16 bit output and whether or not to go high speed.  I hadn't printed for a week or two and then went to print but when I went to print today something weird turned up in the Epson print dialog.  The two boxes marked "Color" and "Color Settings" are both greyed out.  The Color setting allows one to choose ABW but is greyed out with "Color" selected.  The "Color Settings" is greyed out with "Off (No Color Management)" selected.  I can't change either.  This has never happened before and only a week or so ago I was printing B&W by choosing ABW from the Color drop down menu.

In fact I wanted to print in Color and without Color Management.  The prints look absolutely fine.  But why on earth should those two drop down boxes suddenly be disabled.

The last thing I want to do is mess with a system that has, for years, worked perfectly but I suppose it is possible that the printer driver has become corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.  But in that event why do the prints work perfectly?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Problem with Epson 3800 - Colour Settings Disabled
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:31:43 pm »

Upgrade to the latest driver. Mirage print solved all of my driver problems. I also recommend upgrading to Mavericks. 10.8 was strange in a lot of ways.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:12:39 pm »

Seems a common Apple OS change issue.  See this: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/no-color-management-option-missing.html  Might help.

Been discussed here a couple of time since Jan. 2014 too.

SG

pflower

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:21:44 am »

Upon more sober reflection I think this is probably usual behaviour.  I also have a Macbook pro running 10.6.8 with the original driver for the Epson and I may well have been using that to print recently.  That allows one to print ABW out of LR with Eric Chan's profiles.  That way one selects a profile in LR and then chooses ABW from the Color Settings in the driver.  At some point either Mac or Epson changed this and in order to print ABW one now has to choose "Managed by Printer" in LR's print dialog.  Once that has been chosen the options to select Color Management and ABW are live again.  If, however, you choose to print through a profile in LR then the two boxes are greyed out.

But thanks for the links which were interesting.

Pages: [1]   Go Up