Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: convince me  (Read 7020 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: convince me
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 03:09:12 pm »

Hi,

Here you can find MTF data for all Hasselblad V-series lenses: http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWLds.aspx

I would say that my experience corresponds pretty well to the published MTF data. Hasselblad publishes similar MTF data for the H-series lenses.

Personally, I feel that my 40/4, 50/4 and 80/2.8 lenses are sharp at the center but not very good in the corners. The issue may be mostly field curvature, which may actually be helpful sometimes.

Example here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/SampleImages/Planar_80_28/

Best regards
Erik

ok let me try this again. i have the d800 with lenses from 16mm to 600mm. the reason i was talking about the zeiss lenses, i am giving to my wife my nikon 85mm 1.4d and my 135mm dc lenses and replace them with the zeiss, since my wife does not want to mf and i mostly do mf. since it is my wife, if i want the dc look of the 135 i can always get it. the p30 sensor, using my 503 will not allow me, when it is needed, to use wide angle lenses but it doesn't stop me on the tele end. i don't have h lenses i have v lenses for the 503 which are still damn good lenses. for the ultra wide nikon, i have the 16-35 lens. my epson  printer is 24" so the ability to print one size bigger is a non-starter unless i want to send my work out.

so the reason for the post is based on the money available to me, and having both the nikon d800 with lenses and a hasselblad 503 with lenses and printing myself on the epson printer.

for those that have similar equipment, with the printing perimeters i have set, will i see significant differences in the images from the d800 vs. purchasing a mfdb ( p25/p30 or similar leaf back) attached to my hasselblad 503 using the v system lenses. i will test myself, i just want to get a feel from others until i do the testing with the hope that where i go will have the equipment to test.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:58:02 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

jerome_m

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 03:55:12 pm »

i am selling some gear that will net about $7,000.

There is an H3D-39 for sale for $4000 in the forum: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=88238.0. For the remaining $3000 you could get an HCD28 or an adapter for your V lenses...

BobDavid

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 09:59:55 pm »

There is an H3D-39 for sale for $4000 in the forum: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=88238.0. For the remaining $3000 you could get an HCD28 or an adapter for your V lenses...
Hassey no longer supports the H3D-39.

jerome_m

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 01:28:11 am »

That is probably the reason behind the low price. Besides, Hasselblad still supports mechanical repairs on the H3D-39, it is only some electronic components in the back which they cannot repair any more.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:52:03 am by jerome_m »

Yat

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 03:29:56 am »

I shot IQ260 on a Linhof Techno and Sony A7r. 3000 shot later, I concluded that the file from the Sony A7r is exceptional if pairs with the proper lenses. Yes, the shutter is loud and there is light leak if you plan to shoot ISO 25600 for 30 second or plan to have a flash light pointing to the mount area  ;). Other than that, I think it's quite a marvelous choice for landscape.  

torger

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 06:13:16 am »

If you're on such a low budget as $7K I'd say go with the 35mm DSLR systems if you're into getting the best performance for your money, and go for a second hand MF system if you like the old-school handling of these systems or just like to have something different. Don't expect it to be better in a technical aspect though, except for possibly some particular aspects like lens bokeh or something.

I have an ancient Aptus 75, the image quality is just fine with that, but sure it wouldn't hurt with the DR you get from an A7r in some difficult lighting conditions in my landscape photography, and sometimes higher ISO and longer exposure would be nice too. However, I just love working and make images with my Linhof Techno, and well, to do that I must have a digital back and I chose one that matched by budget and had good performance in absolute terms.

The message is that if you buy a budget MF system it's generally not for imaging performance alone, it's for that you like to use the camera.

If you shoot landscape I think a tech camera with movements is what really makes the MF experience fun, the shooting experience is then so much different from a regular DSLR. The attached snap I shot yesterday using my Linhof Techno and SK72mm Digitar lens, it has 15mm vertical shift, 2 degrees of tilt and 2 degrees of swing. Couldn't have done that with an A7r (oh well, perhaps I could, not sure about tilt-shift lens availability, it's less flexible than a Techno for sure though). Not the greatest image perhaps, but just a few hours old example of when I used shift tilt and swing in combination.

I have six lenses in my system, all with very good imaging performance, all with at least 90mm image circles, all bought second hand. Compared to buying Otus-type of lenses new my system is actually quite a bit cheaper, and the second hand MF market is quite good.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:18:54 am by torger »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 09:41:19 am »

For 7k$ I'd get an Arca Swiss F-Line, the Arca Swiss Cube and some decent glass and an Epson V750 scanner.
This will keep you from going out when you don't really want to take images and
it will keep you from taking meaningless and uninspired digital junk.
Or get a small and fast camera, like A Fuji X100s and storm the streets.
Or start doing video and get a Black Magic.
You could also take drawing lessons or buy a microscope or a telescope.
Anything else is most likely not a ground breaking decision.
Ask yourself what kind of photographer you want to be and chose accordingly.
Maybe the best decision would be to not invest the money into gear at all but some trips to great locations you'd otherwise never see.

Cheers
~Chris

Ken R

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 10:13:34 am »

For 7k$ I'd get an Arca Swiss F-Line, the Arca Swiss Cube and some decent glass and an Epson V750 scanner.
This will keep you from going out when you don't really want to take images and
it will keep you from taking meaningless and uninspired digital junk.
Or get a small and fast camera, like A Fuji X100s and storm the streets.
Or start doing video and get a Black Magic.
You could also take drawing lessons or buy a microscope or a telescope.
Anything else is most likely not a ground breaking decision.
Ask yourself what kind of photographer you want to be and chose accordingly.
Maybe the best decision would be to not invest the money into gear at all but some trips to great locations you'd otherwise never see.

Cheers
~Chris

Humm, How about this 50MP (Multi-Shot a la Hasselblad MS) Camera Phone  ;D ;D

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 10:55:00 am »

Does $7K buy you half a day of Kate Moss these days? That might be a useful portofolio investment :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Chris Livsey

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 01:41:54 pm »

Not completely accurate:

H2D-22, H2D-39, H3D-22, H3D-39
- Service is available for analogue repair of the H body.
- Service is limited to IR Filter and Linkboard replacements.

So for example a failed mirror can be repaired/replaced.

Service is also provided elsewhere for repairs:
http://www.B23.dk/

Chris Livsey

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »

Does $7K buy you half a day of Kate Moss these days? That might be a useful portofolio investment :)

Edmund

Regretably not  ::) but close Daily: USD 22,800.00
http://www.paywizard.org/main/salary/vip-check/kate-moss

As to accuracy ?????????

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 03:53:52 pm »

Hi,

I would agree on what Anders Torger says. I am pretty sure that high end 135 matches/surpasses low end MFD in many areas. So, main reason to use MF is something else, could be flexibility or just pleasure.

At this time I would just put the money in the bank.

Some points:

- I have observed very little difference between MFD (P45+) and 24 MP full frame in prints of A2 size (17" x 24") . Beyond that I guess MFD has an advantage.
- What I see is that the old Hasselblad lenses are a bit weak in the corners. I guess my Sony 24-70/2.8 at 40 mm beats my Planar 80/2.8 in the corners when enlarged to same size, even if the Sony has only 24MP and the Hassy/P45+ has 39MP. In center the Hassy wins, no discussion.
- Some Hasselblad lenses seem to be very good (according to MTF data), like: Distagon 40/4 CFE (IF FLE), Planar 100/3.5. Putting money in these lenses may make some sense. I am considering getting a 100/3.5 and replacing my 150/4 with a 180/4, for instance.
- Quite possibly, P45+ prices may go down. CMOS sensors may cause a drop on price of older CCD designs.

Best regards
Erik

If you're on such a low budget as $7K I'd say go with the 35mm DSLR systems if you're into getting the best performance for your money, and go for a second hand MF system if you like the old-school handling of these systems or just like to have something different. Don't expect it to be better in a technical aspect though, except for possibly some particular aspects like lens bokeh or something.

I have an ancient Aptus 75, the image quality is just fine with that, but sure it wouldn't hurt with the DR you get from an A7r in some difficult lighting conditions in my landscape photography, and sometimes higher ISO and longer exposure would be nice too. However, I just love working and make images with my Linhof Techno, and well, to do that I must have a digital back and I chose one that matched by budget and had good performance in absolute terms.

The message is that if you buy a budget MF system it's generally not for imaging performance alone, it's for that you like to use the camera.

If you shoot landscape I think a tech camera with movements is what really makes the MF experience fun, the shooting experience is then so much different from a regular DSLR. The attached snap I shot yesterday using my Linhof Techno and SK72mm Digitar lens, it has 15mm vertical shift, 2 degrees of tilt and 2 degrees of swing. Couldn't have done that with an A7r (oh well, perhaps I could, not sure about tilt-shift lens availability, it's less flexible than a Techno for sure though). Not the greatest image perhaps, but just a few hours old example of when I used shift tilt and swing in combination.

I have six lenses in my system, all with very good imaging performance, all with at least 90mm image circles, all bought second hand. Compared to buying Otus-type of lenses new my system is actually quite a bit cheaper, and the second hand MF market is quite good.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:05:10 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 01:49:51 pm »

As I see it:

1) $7K is some pretty good money but by all means that doesn't get you deep into DMF country. You'll be always only scratching the surface. On the opposite, spending that money on FF gear gets you some of the latest and best stuff.

2) Keeping with best of the lesser side also gives you the opportunity to have the best and at the same time the opp for upgrading at will. Who doesn't suffer from GAS? (N, C and S will love me for this).

3) We are only 5 months from Fotokina. Rumors abound about new economical MF entries. I know, they are only rumors but people claim and shout for a new world order every single day.

Good luck with your decision
Eduardo

Professional

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 02:14:36 am »

Pentax 645Z maybe is your answer? the problem is you need to add little more to get just the body, not just if that including the kit with 1 lens, but i am sure the lens is also expensive, so you definitely need over $7k anyway, and it is a new upcoming MFD, so keep an eye on that one.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up