Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does Olympus E-M1 Video IS work?  (Read 2101 times)

FredT

How does Olympus E-M1 Video IS work?
« on: March 29, 2014, 11:47:02 am »

Does anyone know?  I have assumed that when recording video, the camera used the 5-axis sensor shift mechanism that is used when shooting stills.  At the same time I thought it odd that the camera doesn't make the same noise as it does with a half press of the shutter button.  This morning I discovered that the image is cropped a little when IS is on in video mode.  The E-M10 has been reported in reviews to crop in video mode and to use digital IS.  So is the E-M1 using digital IS as well, and if so why has it not been reported before and does it matter?  I'm very curious about this.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:48:34 am by FredT »

bcooter

Re: How does Olympus E-M1 Video IS work?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:57:34 pm »

Does anyone know?  I have assumed that when recording video, the camera used the 5-axis sensor shift mechanism that is used when shooting stills.  At the same time I thought it odd that the camera doesn't make the same noise as it does with a half press of the shutter button.  This morning I discovered that the image is cropped a little when IS is on in video mode.  The E-M10 has been reported in reviews to crop in video mode and to use digital IS.  So is the E-M1 using digital IS as well, and if so why has it not been reported before and does it matter?  I'm very curious about this.

Works very well.   You can't hop skip and jump and keep a subject in front smooth and steady, but standard careful walking and tracking is very smooth.

It's the best in camera stabilization made, with the only drawback being the 28mbs (I think that's the rate) data stream and the camera is somewhat difficult for motion imagery as you can't make exposure changes while shooting and it only shoots at 30 fps.

Still in a pinch it's the cheapest steadi device made.

IMO

BC

plinden

Re: How does Olympus E-M1 Video IS work?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 05:37:55 pm »

I recently tested a Sony Nex7 with Zeiss 24-70mm f2.8 stabilized lens, a Fuji X-T1 with Fuji 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 stabilized lens and the Olympus E-M1 with 12-40mm f2.8 lens. I have a bit of a tremor and besides still pictures I needed good video stabilization to capture my young granddaughter.

The Olympus is MUCH better, not even close, no contest. I purchased the Oly. BTW with the Oly you can shoot stills, while making a video. You skip frames in the process but may capture a precious moment at full resolution!

Peter Linden
Pages: [1]   Go Up