Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a paper quality issue, or I damaged my print during the transportation?  (Read 1265 times)

ecmjazz

Hello,

Two days ago I took a print which I ordered to my local printing provider, made on a Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl with Epson 9900. I have had some issues before with another provider where I had some scratches on the paper, so I should have been more careful when inspecting the print in the lab, but as I was in a hurry, didn't pay much attention, and took the print home where I put it on my desk under another paper, and put some books on top to straighten it. Today when I looked at the straightened print, I noticed a scratch, about 15 centimeters long, which seems to be on the paper surface itself, and is visible at certain angles. I am not sure whether this scratch was there when I took the print unfortunately, although I suspect it should have been there, as the scratch seems on the paper - the ink doesn't seem scratched. As this is quite large and not so-cheap print, I am wondering is this something which is observed with this type of paper out-of-the box, and is attributed to the quality control, or I damaged it somehow, and subsequently could I pretend at the print shop for another copy? What about also selling the print with this damage - is it normal, or is it unacceptable? Here is a photo of the scratch (sorry, it is not the best quality, but I was on a hurry):

I.T. Supplies

Something like this is hard to say unless you see it again on the next print.  It could be from giving it to the printer and it somehow hit something on the way, or the printer may have done it and didn't realize it.  Normally, you may not be able to see the scratch until after it's printed (depending on the type of paper...matte, satin, glossy).  Matte is hard to notice until it's printed on.  Luster/Glossy will usually show it if it's on the paper enough at certain angles before ink is added.

If it does continue after another sheet is used, chances are that it is the box that may be defective/damaged upon arrival.  If this happens, contact the company or person you purchased it from and inform them about a bad box received.

Hope this helps

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com

Try looking at it with a strong (10x or so) magnifying glass. If the ink is 100% unaltered it may have been printed with the scratch. Note I didn’t write “probably” as any number of things can cause this.

If the ink is removed in a number of places, the scratch may have occurred after the print.

In any event, contact the printer and don’t ascribe blame but ask them if they cover this kind of thing. Also some CC companies offer their own warranty for items purchased with their CC no matter where any blame may be.

ecmjazz

Thank you all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up