Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UHD/4k well worth it  (Read 2576 times)

WombatHorror

UHD/4k well worth it
« on: March 27, 2014, 04:29:28 pm »

After a few weeks now I have to say that UHD/4k is WELL, WELL worth it. It would be hard to go back to lower resolution. (as I've said before about wide gamut)
It makes a huge difference. Huge.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: UHD/4k well worth it
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:14:12 am »

After a few weeks now I have to say that UHD/4k is WELL, WELL worth it. It would be hard to go back to lower resolution. (as I've said before about wide gamut)
It makes a huge difference. Huge.

I am sure it makes a huge difference for displaying images to an audience, I am really not sure it is the right approach for image edition.

What purpose are you using your 4K screen for?

Cheers,
Bernard

WombatHorror

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:02:08 pm »

I am sure it makes a huge difference for displaying images to an audience, I am really not sure it is the right approach for image edition.

What purpose are you using your 4K screen for?

Cheers,
Bernard

Everything from editing and viewing images and video to anything to do with text (even web browsing looks way nicer) to games.

D Fosse

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 03:36:55 am »

I'm open regarding Photoshop/Lightroom, and for text, yes, it probably does make a big diifference.

But do you really have access to video above 1920 x 1080, or web images above 1200-ish? Are you sure there isn't some perception twist going on?

I have a PA242 on the horizon and I'm not reconsidering that. It may display less pixels; but I need to know those pixels are right.

WombatHorror

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 07:41:32 pm »

But do you really have access to video above 1920 x 1080

Not a lot just yet, but there is some 4k/UHD posted about here and there already, some of it has been too heavily compressed or not shot carefully enough at times, but some of it is pretty darn wow. There are some rumors that Canon will have some 4k DSLR out by the end of the year, we'll see, I hope so.

, or web images above 1200-ish? Are you sure there isn't some perception twist going on?

Not a lot, but some people do have original or very large size images left available. (and of course I have thousand of my own images to view)
But I was more thinking about text for now when it comes to the web. Most web pages have tons of text. I mean this forum right here, it's almost nothing but text. So it looks a lot nicer.
And for say reading articles on NYT websites, it's so much nicer.

I have a PA242 on the horizon and I'm not reconsidering that. It may display less pixels; but I need to know those pixels are right.

My UP2414Q calibrates up internally quite well, especially in native gamut mode where I don't really see much difference at all in precision compared to my PA241W. I'm not sure there is any at all to be honest. By eye or measurement it seems close to a dead heat to me. The NEC probably does the sRGB emulation mode a touch better though, but the Dell isn't bad. The nicer AG coating is a very noticeable improvement though (of course the PA242W has that same improvement) and the much higher res is also a very noticeable improvement. I held onto my PA241W just to first make sure I'd be willing to give it up. I wasn't so sure, but now I can say with ease. The only thing I miss about the PA241W is the ability to save profiles to file for later loading. For now, the Dell seems to only let you create calibrations directly into the internal slots of which there are only two. The NEC may only have on internal slot that loads calibrations BUT it lets you load from file.

Pages: [1]   Go Up