Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stitching with TOYO 45G + Nikkor 90 SW f8 and P25+  (Read 1073 times)

itsskin

Stitching with TOYO 45G + Nikkor 90 SW f8 and P25+
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:00:54 pm »

Hi guys!
I need your help, as I'm not very familiar with some aspects I encountered recently.

I'm big fan of large format look. So I started to to some stitching with Toyo 45G. Great thing about this camera is that rear part of camera can be moved around and combined with adapter horizontal movement it's possible to get 166mm x 166mm coverage (235 image circle of 90sw f8). I don't need to tell you that moving rear part of view camera is different from 35mm panorama with PTGui  It's basically a dream came true of huge 166x166 digital sensor.

The biggest problem was internal shading I experienced with out of box chinese adapter. Still, considering incredible movements and very close lens to sensor position results were usable and had unique look. Please check first picture and heavy purple fringe on the right side.

I modified chinese adapter and now nothing is blocking light from the lens. Vignette is reduced, but still present (lens property @f11?). What bothers me is still present color cast. Please check 2nd picture. This makes me thinking me that it can be the problem with light hitting the sensor at extreme angle. There is no light leak. Tested with camera totally covered. Turned lens 90 degrees, same color cast.

To give you idea about the angle there is 3rd pic.

What do you think? Normal behavior? Or something is wrong?

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
Re: Stitching with TOYO 45G + Nikkor 90 SW f8 and P25+
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:13:30 pm »

Hi Ilya,

When you are shifting (or raising/lowering) the back, you need to make LCC exposures at each position and apply them to the exposures made at those respective positions. While it is best to do it when you make the images, I believe this correction can be done later and applied during processing. You can also keep a library of such LCC's and use the appropriate ones as needed. The Capture One manual should guide you.

Kumar

itsskin

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 01:15:53 pm »

Thx! So I read this as normal CCD behavior. I should leave my poor TOYO alone and dive into post :D

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 03:43:19 am »

I don't need to tell you that moving rear part of view camera is different from 35mm panorama with PTGui  It's basically a dream came true of huge 166x166 digital sensor.

That can be fun and the look of the lens as well as its defects can be appealing.

Now, you can get the same look from a geometry standpoint by spherical stitching with a 90mm lens and a flat projection, except that you will get a much superior image from a technical standpoint, devoid of the corner effects you will see with the Toyo.

It will also be faster to do the spherical stitch.

Cheers,
Bernard

itsskin

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 04:10:52 am »

For sure. But the whole point of it to get large format look.
Pages: [1]   Go Up